• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hulk-181CGC5-0/233140727222?hash=item3648452db6:g:rJcAAOSwUPlcbfu5

Someone got a steal..... kinda but really kinda did ha.

I was wondering, I know these do well at auction, and there always seems to be a LOOOT of auctions.... why so many auctions? seems that those would run out of steam first and then your left holding the bag idk .......

I don't know man, could be a hijacked account.  Only a $1200 BIN?  And a completely bogus title and description?

The guy's feedback as a seller indicates he has no history selling comics but that he can clearly put together a proper eBay listing.  As Kelly Bundy might say - "there's something rotten in the state of Denver." 

10 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
38 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hulk-181CGC5-0/233140727222?hash=item3648452db6:g:rJcAAOSwUPlcbfu5

Someone got a steal..... kinda but really kinda did ha.

I was wondering, I know these do well at auction, and there always seems to be a LOOOT of auctions.... why so many auctions? seems that those would run out of steam first and then your left holding the bag idk .......

I don't know man, could be a hijacked account.  Only a $1200 BIN?  And a completely bogus title and description?

The guy's feedback as a seller indicates he has no history selling comics but that he can clearly put together a proper eBay listing.  As Kelly Bundy might say - "there's something rotten in the state of Denver." 

I agree that he probably should have had feedback for it by now and he doesn't, but it made me double take none the less lol 

you also would think that anyone who got a cgc 5.5 would bother to leave postive feeback too~

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

35 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree that he probably should have had feedback for it by now and he doesn't, but it made me double take none the less lol 

you also would think that anyone who got a cgc 5.5 would bother to leave postive feeback too~

It was a bogus sale. Here's what GPA has on the "none sales relisted" list for IH 181. The first screenshot is before I scrolled down a bit and the second is after scrolling down. The one you're referring to is the first (none sale) listed. I think the other 5.0s in the second screen may be the same one.

Why do this? What's the point?

IMG_20190222_171747.jpg

IMG_20190222_171658.jpg

I got a kick out of seeing the PGX "9.9" signed by ATnl Inpe make another appearance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-PGX-9-9-Better-than-the-Mile-High-CGC-9-8-and-the-CGC-9-9/323664538464?hash=item4b5be8eb60:g:YHoAAOSwIQNcSfSL:rk:1:pf:0

No back cover photo?  No $80 grand for you!  Ha, anyone paying $80 grand for this travesty needs to have their money revoked.  I'd wager this book has been trimmed at the minimum, especially at the top.  Probably color touched too.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

How many people though under 30 know Led Zep? 

Going forward who will keep making millions of new fans? Disney now owns Wolverine. That alone will make Wolverine`s popularity jump higher than Led Zep.

Also 24 million copies is good in the record industry,but so is the Wolverine movies that have grossed over 1 billion worldwide.

Wolverine has a much higher upside than old Led Zep from the 1970s.

All the Marvel movie heroes do. They are the new rockstars to this and upcoming generations.

Image result for avengers movies

btw I love Led Zep, Elvis and the Beatles,but there is no way they can keep up with the mighty Disney machine for hype. We even got the new Disney streaming channel on the way that will introduce even more Marvel heroes to new fans.

Best bet are the comic book keys in the collectibles field.

The prices we see now will look like bargains in 5 years.

I agree. The best way to insure popularity is to get the interest in the next upcoming generation. Disney is doing that with the teens and pre-teens through the movies and the sequels. I don't see this happening with the rock groups of the sixties and seventies, although they continue to be played on the radio stations. As these kids get older and get well-paying jobs, they're going to want to get these comics that introduced them to their favorite heroes, which will continue to drive up the prices.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:35 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Meanwhile a 9.4 white auctioned last night for over 11k on eBay. Seller seems legit. As always a healthy skepticism is required with these eBay auctions for 181

And a 9.6 just went for only $11.5k.

9.6's continue to exist in a bizarre pricing no man's land.  :sorry:

-J.

5 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Only 11.5K?....

people tracking every sale are just going to drive themselves crazy. 

I just track 9.4-9.8.

9.8- $40K+

9.4- $11k

9.6- $11.5k (?) (shrug)

Definitely some weird pricing anomaly.  9.6's "should" be $15k-$20k. If I didn't already have one I would get one because they look under valued for the grade compared to surrounding grades IMO.

-J.

11 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I just track 9.4-9.8.

9.8- $40K+

9.4- $11k

9.6- $11.5k (?) (shrug)

Definitely some weird pricing anomaly.  9.6's "should" be $15k-$20k. If I didn't already have one I would get one because they look under valued for the grade compared to surrounding grades IMO.

-J.

I haven't seen the exact copies you are talking about, but the pricing doesn't always puzzle me.

I am always in the market to buy a copy of high grade 181s, and what I realized is, not all copies at the same grade are the same.

Mind you, I'm more of a collector than a flipper, so I always go after the best looking copy, which means the following to me.

1. Nice wrap / centering. It can show a bit of white spine, as long as it's straight.

2. White Pages.  I'll settle for OW-W if it is in OLD LABEL.

3. Bright fresh colours (not usually a problem with high grade).

4. No writing, or ugly stamps - I can live with a clean date stamp, ideally on the back cover.

5. No obvious printing errors that look like stains or anything that is a huge eye sore.

So as you can see, with all these items I personally look out for, it's no wonder to me, that some buyers will pay premium for a nice copy, and something like an off cut copy can sell for a lot less than expected.

Also, don't forget, depending which state or country it is bought from, the tax laws are different, so that's a huge factor as well.

13 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I just track 9.4-9.8.

9.8- $40K+

9.4- $11k

9.6- $11.5k (?) (shrug)

-J.

You can see the same relatively low premium between 9.4 to 9.6 copies of other BA keys as well. There is not much of a difference in the physical appearance of most 9.4 and 9.6 BA keys, and with plentiful supply in both grades for most of them I can understand why there is really not much of a premium for a 9.6. 

Edited by kimik

22 minutes ago, kimik said:

You can see the same relatively low premium between 9.4 to 9.6 copies of other BA keys as well. There is not much of a difference in the physical appearance of most 9.4 and 9.6 BA keys, and with plentiful supply in both grades for most of them I can understand why there is really not much of a premium for a 9.6. 

That's another pretty good point to bring up.

I feel like the same applies to Silver Age 7.5-8.5 books.  You see a lot of books bunch up in pricing within that range.  And it's not until you hit 9.0+ you really see a spike.  

Either way, let's all just agree, comics are worth EXACTLY how much someone is willing to pay for a book lol   We all have our reasons why something should be less or more in pricing.

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

And a 9.6 just went for only $11.5k.

9.6's continue to exist in a bizarre pricing no man's land.  :sorry:

-J.

Not that it would of made a dramatic difference in this case but it was an off white despite the description saying ow/w.

Nonetheless ask yourself this... What kind of 💩 for brains pays anywhere near 11k for a 9.4 considering last two 9.6s auctioned for ~ 11.5k???

This point I don't care... The market will do whatever the hell it wants to do! Why should rationality get in the way?

17 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Not that it would of made a dramatic difference in this case but it was an off white despite the description saying ow/w.

Nonetheless ask yourself this... What kind of 💩 for brains pays anywhere near 11k for a 9.4 considering last two 9.6s auctioned for ~ 11.5k???

This point I don't care... The market will do whatever the hell it wants to do! Why should rationality get in the way?

FOMO probably... Sure as heck not defending FOMO mentality btw, but people get caught up sometimes...

On 2/25/2019 at 10:20 AM, drbanner said:

Yep, with so many copies available White pages are where it's at.  (thumbsu

Looks like they are still desirable in less than White pages as CL just auctioned off 5 of them in this evening's auction for what appears to be relatively strong prices, and I believe only 2 of them had the much "dreaded" lol White pages.  

Again I don't have gpaanalysis....

But I'm quite impressed with the last couple of 6.0 & 6.5 sales....

Relative to 7.0 and 7.5's...

Maybe time for a bump, heard in another thread the 9.2's or 9.0's were dipping or something :foryou:

And that relative to mid grades that mid grades might survive....

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Again I don't have gpaanalysis....

But I'm quite impressed with the last couple of 6.0 & 6.5 sales....

Relative to 7.0 and 7.5's...

Maybe time for a bump, heard in another thread the 9.2's or 9.0's were dipping or something :foryou:

And that relative to mid grades that mid grades might survive....

I think 9.4 & 9.6 are the grades that have taken a downturn. 9.8's don't sell too often so no information there. This is all incoherent Adamantium, non of it makes any sense!!!

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I think 9.4 & 9.6 are the grades that have taken a downturn. 9.8's don't sell too often so no information there. This is all incoherent Adamantium, non of it makes any sense!!!

Lol well since 9.8's don't sell often, It doesn't look attractive to spend that much on a 9.4 or 9.6....  with no appearance of growth in 9.8 and buzz...

7.5's were even sometimes lower or right at $3,000-$3,200

With 8.0's 8.5's selling for more, in the 7's didn't get buzz...

With 6.0 and 6.5's getting more cash because their more affordable, perhaps that'll light a fire for the 7's..

Lol relatively speaking of course (thumbsu :roflmao:

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol well since 9.8's don't sell often, It doesn't look attractive to spend that much on a 9.4 or 9.6....  with no appearance of growth in 9.8 and buzz...

7.5's were even sometimes lower or right at $3,000-$3,200

With 8.0's 8.5's selling for more, in the 7's didn't get buzz...

With 6.0 and 6.5's getting more cash because their more affordable, perhaps that'll light a fire for the 7's..

Lol relatively speaking of course (thumbsu :roflmao:

Problem is not everyone has an extra 10-15k laying around to plunk down for a 9.8! Plus 9.8 have been more prone to volatility in the past

Edit: make that an extra 20-30k for a 9.8!!!

Edited by MGsimba77