• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2019 at 12:36 PM, Pestilence said:

Are coverless worth anything? The stamp is gone but everything else is there page wise. Found this at a garage sale awhile back but didn't know how popular it was(still very new to comics)

20190622_122509.jpg

Coverless without the stamp is still valuable. I saw a coverless I think went for 400 recently with the stamp. Without the stamp I'd say it's worth 200 to 250. 

On 6/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, jason4 said:

Coverless without the stamp is still valuable. I saw a coverless I think went for 400 recently with the stamp. Without the stamp I'd say it's worth 200 to 250. 

So coverless without the stamp is more valuable then with the stamp? 

21 hours ago, rogue14 said:

So coverless without the stamp is more valuable then with the stamp? 

That's the opposite of what he said.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, jason4 said:

I saw a coverless I think went for 400 recently with the stamp. Without the stamp I'd say it's worth 200 to 250

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hulk 181 is reminding me of books like Action 1, Detective 27 and AF 15, in a sense that even pages and pieces of it, sell for crazy money  

On 6/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, NoMan said:
On 5/31/2019 at 6:55 AM, Darkowl said:

Some grades have decreased in value. Just sayin. 

Party Pooper. 

Are you referring to the graded copy residing in a CGC 9.9 slab that might not qualify to be anywhere close to that grade anymore?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/2/2019 at 10:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to the graded copy residing in a CGC 9.9 slab that might not qualify to be anywhere close to that grade anymore?  hm

According to the census, the grades below have decreased in value since the 12 month gpa. Food for thought. :cool:

Edited by Darkowl

38 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

According to the census, the grades below have decreased in value since the 12 month gpa. Food for thought. :cool:

Some of these average "declines" have recent sales that exceed the 90 day average by quite a bit.  

-J.

28 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
1 hour ago, Darkowl said:

Some of these average "declines" have recent sales that exceed the 90 day average by quite a bit.  

-J.

So, if both of these statements are in fact correct, then I guess this means the non-uber HG Hulk 181 market took a huge dive sometime between 3 to 9 months ago and is now solidly trending back up, but not yet to levels where they were a year ago.  hm

Definitely food for thought if your thinking mind is hungry and getting bored.  Bouncy, bouncy........ :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

it's not that strange that a book whose value rose between 25-100 per cent in a period of a few months should drop a little or flatten out for awhile afterwards. 181 had a really big pop last year and it may be awhile before another one happens. some will scream the sky is falling but it's hulk 181. at some point it will move up once again in all grades. probably when they announce ivanka trump in her debut acting performance as the first actor to play wolverine in a proper marvel movie. 

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
6 hours ago, Darkowl said:

-J.

So, if both of these statements are in fact correct, then I guess this means the non-uber HG Hulk 181 market took a huge dive sometime between 3 to 9 months ago and is now solidly trending back up, but not yet to levels where they were a year ago.  hm

Definitely food for thought if your thinking mind is hungry and getting bored.  Bouncy, bouncy........ 

If true of 3-9 months ago, that would put it around the death of Stan Lee :sorry: RIP.... :foryou: 

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I have a question for you all. I currently own a Hulk 180 and 181. The are complete with MVS intact. However, they are both coverless. In really good shape non-the-less. My question is is is possible to find an original cover for each somewhere to make the book "complete"? Is that frowned upon? would a grading submission with no cover vs a replacement cover change the grading? Please forgive the newbee questions.

Oh and thank you!!

John

On 6/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, NoMan said:

Party Pooper. 

Could always track down the harder to find True Believers Hulk #181 $1 reprint as opposed to newer #181 reprint that retails for $3.99. My LCS has :o the latest reprint slabbed Cgc 9.8 that is eye candy in his glass display case.

5 hours ago, jzeno910 said:

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I have a question for you all. I currently own a Hulk 180 and 181. The are complete with MVS intact. However, they are both coverless. In really good shape non-the-less. My question is is is possible to find an original cover for each somewhere to make the book "complete"? Is that frowned upon? would a grading submission with no cover vs a replacement cover change the grading? Please forgive the newbee questions.

Oh and thank you!!

John

It would be tough to find an original detatched cover for one let alone both! Assuming you find one or both you'd have to staple them on ensuring a "restored" purple label.

If you submit them for grading coverless you would get an "incomplete" label which I don't know the color??? They would still assess the page quality. Its still valuable and well worth the cost of grading even coverless IMO. 

If you try and staple a replacement cover (even if it's an original one from another book) that would be frowned upon. CGC would notice the staples were not original resulting in a purple restored label notating both staples were replaced. I honestly don't know if they'd be able to distinguish between a replacement original cover and the actual cover it was printed with? Either way it would get a restored label. 

Imo you're better off submitting them coverless. At least it's honest & not a "Frankenbook" with a replacement cover. Not only would it be weird but maybe less valuable if anyone knew it wasn't the original cover.