• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, carefulsum said:

Once Marvel's phase 5 comes out, this amount will be a bargain and a super deal. Just need to hold the book for a few years.

The only problem with this particular strategy here is that in this day and age of the CGC speculators and flippers, holding onto a book like this for even a few weeks is probably far too long a time frame for them to even think of enduring.  :mad:  :taptaptap:  :censored:

Not like old fogies like me who plucked their HG copy off the display wall for the then inordinate sum of $5 and still holding onto it for all these long decades.  :taptaptap:  (thumbsu

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

or is this due in part to the rather fugly looking flattened white line running down the spine of this off-centered copy here?  hm

Most likely.

9.8 sales bounce around. The high grades are still quite hot. A 9.6 recently went for 15k

Edited by MGsimba77

On 7/14/2019 at 6:47 AM, drbanner said:

7-8 years ago you could have bought a 9.4 with $2,400.

The only copy I ever owned was a blue label 8.5 with the MJ insert.  Cost me $750. The most I had ever spent on a comic at the time.   Can't believe it's a $4000+ book now.

1 hour ago, Darkowl said:

Just did a Sold Listings search on ebay for a 7.5 grade. The numbers are not impressive. I'm just not seeing any real growth right now.

That's because there's been far too many copies out in the marketplace as it's a relatively easy book to find if you wanted to buy one.

Just take a look at the CL Auction from last week which had a total of 8 copies ranging from CGC 6.5 up to CGC 9.6, all trying to cannibalize one another.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's because there's been far too many copies out in the marketplace as it's a relatively easy book to find if you wanted to buy one.

Just take a look at the CL Auction from last week which had a total of 8 copies ranging from CGC 6.5 up to CGC 9.6, all trying to cannibalize one another.  doh!

The number of copies in existence certainly doesn't help!

48 minutes ago, Shaun C89 said:

I think the FOMO has died down some on this book, now may be a good time to get a copy before it gets hot again when there is a MCU announcement. 

I agree. As soon as they announce who the lucky actor is that gets to play Wolverine, we'll probably see another spike.

Im just going to rant here for a little bit...

So there was a "sale" listed on GPA for a 181 9.6 about 2 weeks ago for 16k right. I was tracking this on GPA for a while now just waiting for it to be taken down from the sales list and  relisted by the Ebay seller which I had suspicions about. I'm pretty sure they've done this before with other books. So low & behold surprise surprise it gets relisted yesterday shows up on the "item recorded as sold relisted by seller" section on GPA :facepalm:

I swear there's not enough facepalm emojis on earth to suffice for this nonsense! Ebay is a circus worthy trainwreck!!! Any IH 181 sold on Ebay is about as serious as this theme song ⤵️ :kidaround: ...sigh :facepalm:

Edited by MGsimba77

Wow there sure are a lot of these books out there, I just looked. I know the Marvel collectors are growing but I’m surprised it’s still so hot and selling at pretty high levels.   Almost 10,000 graded blue labels!  

On 9/5/2019 at 5:10 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Im just going to rant here for a little bit...

So there was a "sale" listed on GPA for a 181 9.6 about 2 weeks ago for 16k right. I was tracking this on GPA for a while now just waiting for it to be taken down from the sales list and  relisted by the Ebay seller which I had suspicions about. I'm pretty sure they've done this before with other books. So low & behold surprise surprise it gets relisted yesterday shows up on the "item recorded as sold relisted by seller" section on GPA :facepalm:

I swear there's not enough facepalm emojis on earth to suffice for this nonsense! Ebay is a circus worthy trainwreck!!! Any IH 181 sold on Ebay is about as serious as this theme song ⤵️ :kidaround: ...sigh :facepalm:

This infuriates me. Anytime I catch this, I notify GPA even if its against my best interest. Blatant manipulation of the market is incredibly dangerous and it scares me how easily it can be done.

17 hours ago, Naphtha said:

This infuriates me. Anytime I catch this, I notify GPA even if its against my best interest. Blatant manipulation of the market is incredibly dangerous and it scares me how easily it can be done.

This is the most fake sold comic book in the history of the world 

19 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

This is the most fake sold comic book in the history of the world 

I'm seriously surprised grades below 9.0 are declining. It would take nothing more than two dealers with a stack of books and a willingness to postpone the transaction to get the prices back. I was always afraid that this scenario would eventually ruin the legitimacy of GPA. Maybe it already has in time.

I should really just get back to finishing my runs... 

14 minutes ago, Naphtha said:

I was always afraid that this scenario would eventually ruin the legitimacy of GPA

Yeah its definitely happened a number of times but they usually relist more quickly than this one from what I've seen. This one lasted up there on GPA almost 2 weeks. I've seen the same copy get fake sold more than once on Ebay. I agree its maddening. 

7 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah its definitely happened a number of times but they usually relist more quickly than this one from what I've seen. This one lasted up there on GPA almost 2 weeks. I've seen the same copy get fake sold more than once on Ebay. I agree its maddening. 

Last one I saw was on the FF4. Someone listed a 7.0 and tried to get a sale at $7500 on GPA only to relist it at a higher price two days later. The worst part was every dealer who had one in that grade immediately (within a day) upped their prices by $1000. Now the only way to get that respective grade from what is currently listed is to pay the fake price.

3 minutes ago, Naphtha said:

Last one I saw was on the FF4. Someone listed a 7.0 and tried to get a sale at $7500 on GPA only to relist it at a higher price two days later. The worst part was every dealer who had one in that grade immediately (within a day) upped their prices by $1000. Now the only way to get that respective grade from what is currently listed is to pay the fake price.

🤦‍♂️ just crazy!!! There's another 181 in 9.4 from Ebay on GPA sold Sept 3 for 10,600. Decent number but hey its anyone's guess as to whether its real?

That fake pricing domino effect  doesn't seem to be as widespread with 181s since there's so many but its more of a consequence with those silvers I'd bet