• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2020 at 1:23 PM, sledgehammer said:

Anyone know where the most recent 9.6 sale on GPA, under $9,700, occurred?

Looks like an OW/W, graded about 11 years ago.

It was on Heritage, and the funkiness of the wrap kind of justified the much lower price in my opinion.

I’m resurrecting this topic as I am considering buying a midgrade copy and have been shopping around.

Thing is nobody is willing to let there copies go for gpa.

I mean I’ve seen a fe completed sales that got a fair deal but most all available copies are over and I can see why.

I was debating over ASM 129, GSX 1, or IH 181

I have found by a fluke...a raw missing the value stand that looks to be a solid 5.0 for 1000.00 even

does this sound like a smart buy?

IH 180 9.8 off white auctioned last Thursday on Heritage for one hell of a number. Pretty sure it's a record. 

GSXM 9.8 W in same auction also had what I think is a record result. This is not counting tax! Very impressive results with everything considered! Wolverine still has plenty of juice!!! 

Auctions like this are why people are asking above GPA for these big keys 

21 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

I’m resurrecting this topic as I am considering buying a midgrade copy and have been shopping around.

I mean I’ve seen a fe completed sales that got a fair deal but most all available copies are over and I can see why.

I have found by a fluke...a raw missing the value stand that looks to be a solid 5.0 for 1000.00 even

I got an 8.5 back in October from CGC and noted that GoCollect had a FMV of $4300.  They're now listing a FMV of $3700 with recorded sales so somebody must be letting it go w/o asking for higher & higher prices.    Unless it just at this particular grade.  Sitting on mine figuring one day theaters will re-open & there will be a new MCU Wolverine.

2 hours ago, csaag said:

I got an 8.5 back in October from CGC and noted that GoCollect had a FMV of $4300.  They're now listing a FMV of $3700 with recorded sales so somebody must be letting it go w/o asking for higher & higher prices.    Unless it just at this particular grade.  Sitting on mine figuring one day theaters will re-open & there will be a new MCU Wolverine.

Well yes I do believe that high grades have been dropping but lower grades are selling for a premium.

The average collector can only afford a lower grade and people are willing to pay 800.00 for a low grade just to have a copy.

Its weird but certain books do that.

Same goes for ASM 129 punisher.

Low grades selling for 500-600 for like 3.0 it’s crazy

anyway unfortunately my budget for any one book is 1000.00 or a bit more

i have found a really nice raw book but missing Stamp. It’s really the best copy I can afford.

i see simply copies being sold for 12-1300 so I thinks it’s a good deal.

This book is destined to go back up.

Everything x men has slowed down a bit.

GSX 1 dropping too

On 5/5/2020 at 6:14 AM, Myowncollector said:

I sold all mine. I think the prices are going to drop. Maybe 40% by end of year. I love the book, but just saying. 

I’ve got my fingers, toes, arms, and legs crossed that this happens. Need a copy!!

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

I’ve got my fingers, toes, arms, and legs crossed that this happens. Need a copy!!

40% is my max prediction, but I do believe it will drop. Not going to get it for dirt cheap. Although if they keep giving out stimulus checks and unemployment and other goodies it won't happen. But if there is no free money and double digit unemployment it is going down. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

The average collector can only afford a lower grade and people are willing to pay 800.00 for a low grade just to have a copy.

Its weird but certain books do that.

Same goes for ASM 129 punisher.

Low grades selling for 500-600 for like 3.0 it’s crazy

Definitely not weird and crazy as it's simply a sign that books such as Hulk 181 and AAM 129 are becoming true vintage collectible comic books which has value for all grades across the entire condition spectrum.  :applause:

In sharp contrast to most recent and readily available books which sells for record nosebleed prices in CGC 9.8 graded condition, but yet have no rreal value for anything in CGC 9.4 or lower.  Definitely not a true vintage collectible comic book here as these are what I call CGC label collectors paying for the label since the underlying book itself doesn't have any real true value.  :p

If you take a look at some of the expensive GA near keys like 'Tec 31 which can sell for $40K+ in CGC 1.0 fraded condition or Action 13 which can sell for $15K in CGC 0.5 graded condition, collectors are more than willing to pay for these entry level copies because they are still affordable, whereas the higher graded copies have already gone way beyond their price range to be able to obtain a copy.  hm

On 5/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Whats gpa for a mid grade

On 1/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, Getoutandstayout said:

I was considering trying to get a lower grade copy of Hulk #181 at this summer's big Comic Con, but upon browsing eBay I saw that copies at just 3.5 are going for $900.00?! Are you kidding? I'd have to drop a Grand just to get a 4.0 copy - if that? I know Wolverine was in the movies, helping to drive up prices, but is he really this popular? Or are speculators driving up the price into a nice price bubble that's going to bust soon? It can't keep going up like it is. Reminds me of the dot.com bubble of the late 90s in a way. I'm suspicious of these outrageous prices. I may just find a good Marvel Mystery Comics issue (my Golden Age favorite) that's under $1,000. I *know* those are in demand and will go up every year.

If book value is based on movies then Hulk 181 is valued accurately. Up until recently Wolverine had appeared in more movies then any other superhero, they actually go out of their way to find how to put Wolverine in a movie 

"So we are just about finished with Spiderman 652,l 'Death of dude on top of apartment in AF15 I'm wondering if somehow we can put Logan coming out of a variety store with a bag of doritos as Spidey flies by!"

The only character/person who appears more then Wolverine is Stan Lee (RIP Champ)

But tbf Wolverine is probably ranked in the top ten superheroes of all time

That book you wanted has gone up $400 in 2 years, which is more interest then a GIC (canadian bond)

Edited by Hollywood1892

6 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Haven’t been on for a bit so I might be late, but did something happen that the prices are increasing again? I’ve been watching a few on eBay and the prices are about libel to triple the initial.

It seems like prices on all collectibles are rocketing. The cold reality? Some have done extremely well this year, while others have suffered greatly. It seems to be playing out with collectibles of all sorts.

14 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

It seems like prices on all collectibles are rocketing. The cold reality? Some have done extremely well this year, while others have suffered greatly. It seems to be playing out with collectibles of all sorts.

Got it. Thanks! Thought I missed some release news of some sort. This makes the search a bit more difficult. Guess I shouldn’t have waited. O’well.

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

Got it. Thanks! Thought I missed some release news of some sort. This makes the search a bit more difficult. Guess I shouldn’t have waited. O’well.

Totally! I spoke to my sister and brother in-law about those, both of whom collect things outside comics. Prices within their respective hobbies are going bonkers as well.

You can see this with cars, comics, sports cards, watches, etc. Things are just on fire. Great for sellers; bad time for buyers.

1 hour ago, dikran1 said:

It's ComicLink, not eBay, so yes, it is most likely a real sale.

4 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

I guess that Hulk label added about 3k worth of value then lol

It was also the highest graded copy in that particular auction, plus the 8.0 and 8.5 copies went for about $500 above their recent averages.  181 had a huge upswing from 2016-2018 (I think, I might be off by a year), this could be the start of another.  Or its just an outlier.  We'll see.