• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2021 at 8:06 AM, MGsimba77 said:

I figured a while back to snap up an old 180 with the cover torn in half for 40 dollars. I wanted the page to have some glory one day. Only reason I haven't sent it in yet is because I'm sure they're going to put the wrong side of the page on the front of the slab. Regardless of written instructions :(

IMG_20181029_173429.jpg

IMG_20181029_173636.jpg

It is clear that the value of Hulk 181 does not derive from the awesomeness of the artwork. ;-)

Not sure if this is the right thread for this comment, if not please let me know.

considering the increasing cost for hulk 181, would it be ideal to get a raw restored copy in what looks to me to be between the 7.0 - 8.5 range and having the restoration removed to avoid the purple label, or leave it as is? Only ask as there is no chance of me getting a blue label anytime soon if prices keeping increasing. 

19 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this comment, if not please let me know.

considering the increasing cost for hulk 181, would it be ideal to get a raw restored copy in what looks to me to be between the 7.0 - 8.5 range and having the restoration removed to avoid the purple label, or leave it as is? Only ask as there is no chance of me getting a blue label anytime soon if prices keeping increasing. 

I would say it depends on many things. You can get your foot in the door with a lower grade blue label for what price you are looking at with a 7.5 resto label. Also, some restorations may not be easily undone. Ultimately depends how much you really care about the final presentation.

22 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

its a crazy hot time now for this and many other keys. that doesnt mean it wont go down a bit at some point. might just be time to wait. 

a book like hulk181 is so easy to find in all grades that i don't personally think restored copies are worth it. there's a grade for every budget. but it might just be time to wait and see what happens to this market in a little while. 

36 minutes ago, The Man Without Beer said:

I would say it depends on many things. You can get your foot in the door with a lower grade blue label for what price you are looking at with a 7.5 resto label. Also, some restorations may not be easily undone. Ultimately depends how much you really care about the final presentation.

Book I’m looking at is offered at 2k. Not sure if I would be able to find a low grade blue label. Think they said there color touch, glue, a married page and trimming. I know trimming cannot be reversed but hopeful about the others. Maybe haggle a little.

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

its a crazy hot time now for this and many other keys. that doesnt mean it wont go down a bit at some point. might just be time to wait. 

a book like hulk181 is so easy to find in all grades that i don't personally think restored copies are worth it. there's a grade for every budget. but it might just be time to wait and see what happens to this market in a little while. 

Sadly, I’ve been waiting for a bit now and the more I wait the more out of range the book gets. 

Just now, rogue14 said:

Book I’m looking at is offered at 2k. Not sure if I would be able to find a low grade blue label. Think they said there color touch, glue, a married page and trimming. I know trimming cannot be reversed but hopeful about the others. Maybe haggle a little.

Sadly, I’ve been waiting for a bit now and the more I wait the more out of range the book gets. 

Trimmed gets a purple label no matter what you do. 

18 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Trimmed gets a purple label no matter what you do. 

Good point. Welp. Guess I’ll have to decide to either wait it out or get a restored copy with removal of the what’s possible and just keep the purple for trimming. hm

3 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Trimming can't be undone. 

Besides, that book is pretty heavily restored. Removing it would be pretty abrasive. Not sure what would be left. 

You can't really undue a married page either. There is no way to turn that one Blue. 

My advice would be to buy the nicest looking blue label you can afford, then look to upgrade over time by selling your copy and putting together some cash.  

Or maybe start shopping green labels.  In this age of encapsulation, I’m surprised the MVS matters so much.  It doesn’t affect the story, and if CGC didn’t tell you it was missing, you’d never know.:insane:

I had been flip flipping for a month on a Green Label 7.0 with White Pages, well centered, with bright colors... It just presents so well! The seller offered it to me for 2500 a month ago. I continued my search for a blue label, but with a $3k budget I just couldn't find anything presentable to me. I can't stand spine roll, grimey fingerprints, stains, chunks out of the cover and atrocious amounts of spine ticks. I came to the conclusion, for me, in today's market... The green label is for me. I decided the clipping of the MVS was a part of the hobby in 1974, so I sort of think it's cool. He raised the price over the month to $3k, but I was able to get it for $2,770. I hope I didn't over pay too much since two blue 7.0s sold for 6k, so I paid 46% of the blue label price. A couple years ago they were 33%.

Lastly... I used to own a Blue Label 6.0 with WPs, well centered, about four years ago. The single graders note was "subscription crease," which you couldn't even tell from the front, just a faint line down center of back, otherwise flawless. I bought and sold it for 1250. Lesson learned... Never let your Grail go... These types of keys have only appreciated, so when you try to return... Hard to come back as strong. On a positive note, I sold it to a boardie here and he is still holding tight enjoying it.

39 minutes ago, TXReplicant said:

I had been flip flipping for a month on a Green Label 7.0 with White Pages, well centered, with bright colors... It just presents so well! The seller offered it to me for 2500 a month ago. I continued my search for a blue label, but with a $3k budget I just couldn't find anything presentable to me. I can't stand spine roll, grimey fingerprints, stains, chunks out of the cover and atrocious amounts of spine ticks. I came to the conclusion, for me, in today's market... The green label is for me. I decided the clipping of the MVS was a part of the hobby in 1974, so I sort of think it's cool. He raised the price over the month to $3k, but I was able to get it for $2,770. I hope I didn't over pay too much since two blue 7.0s sold for 6k, so I paid 46% of the blue label price. A couple years ago they were 33%.

Lastly... I used to own a Blue Label 6.0 with WPs, well centered, about four years ago. The single graders note was "subscription crease," which you couldn't even tell from the front, just a faint line down center of back, otherwise flawless. I bought and sold it for 1250. Lesson learned... Never let your Grail go... These types of keys have only appreciated, so when you try to return... Hard to come back as strong. On a positive note, I sold it to a boardie here and he is still holding tight enjoying it.

50% off because someone clipped the MVS?  :takeit:

I think shopping green is the way to go.

6 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

if by "these days" you mean for many years now, then yes, WP command higher prices in all books "these days."

Hi, maybe I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say when I said " larger prices" ie WP commanding even more then in the past, 100% WP have always been more sought after but looking at the current market trend many Bronze age keys with WP seem to really be commanding a higher % premium than in the past.

Edited by I am not Glenda