• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

A 9.6 sold recently on Ebay for 25k plus ship. The buyer got one hell of a deal with that copy...one hell of a deal! Maybe even the asking price was too low. 

thanks for keeping it updated though, cause I don't check the higher grades that often lol it's in the ether to me ha!

still, 3.5's and such blue label, steadily selling for $3,500 is worth mentioning too :shy: 

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

A 9.6 sold recently on Ebay for 25k plus ship. The buyer got one hell of a deal with that copy...one hell of a deal! Maybe even the asking price was too low. 

I didn't even see it.  I bid on a 9.6 White in Jan and tapped out somewhere around 18k.  It closed around 20.  I shoulda gone harder.

7 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

So guys a nice member on here has offered a hulk 181 cgc 7.0 either a qualified or restored one with color touch.  Which would you guys go with?

What's the resto, and why is the other qualified?

14 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

The resto is slight color touch c1 with little glue added to the binding.  The Qualified is missing the mvs 

I guess it depends on what you value more. 

Personally, I would go with the c1 CT. I like complete books more even with a little resto for a big key. 

That's just me. Others feel better about the Green Label.  

Allot would depend on presentation to. If you are buying a big key in a slab, you want a cover you enjoy looking at. Things like centering or ugly creases may influence my decision one way or another. 

In any event, good luck! 

Edited by KCOComics

It’s so interesting to see the original post of this thread. A complaint about a 3.5 selling for $900 on eBay.

Fast forward to today and it sells for 3K.

That being said, what’s the deal with the recent value shoot up? I sold my 7.5 only a few months ago for about $3K, now it’s selling for double that.

So what gives? I mean, I know that movie speculation and hype always contribute to these sort of things, but to this extent? 

And when will Hulk 181’s value hit a wall?  

I was even thinking about buying another copy, but with how fast this book has sky rocketed in value within the last few months, I can’t help but wonder how sustainable it is. 

One could easily argue that Disney hasn’t even started with the X-Men movies yet, and when they do, they’ll ride that train for at least the next 20 years, milking it for everything it’s worth, which will further secure the value of Hulk 181.

2 hours ago, Darkowl said:

It’s so interesting to see the original post of this thread. A complaint about a 3.5 selling for $900 on eBay.

Fast forward to today and it sells for 3K.

That being said, what’s the deal with the recent value shoot up? I sold my 7.5 only a few months ago for about $3K, now it’s selling for double that.

So what gives? I mean, I know that movie speculation and hype always contribute to these sort of things, but to this extent? 

And when will Hulk 181’s value hit a wall?  

I was even thinking about buying another copy, but with how fast this book has sky rocketed in value within the last few months, I can’t help but wonder how sustainable it is. 

One could easily argue that Disney hasn’t even started with the X-Men movies yet, and when they do, they’ll ride that train for at least the next 20 years, milking it for everything it’s worth, which will further secure the value of Hulk 181.

20 years ? Make that 80 years!

2 hours ago, Darkowl said:

So what gives?

I guess you are asking why has it continued to go up.   You have the ridiculous popularity of this book and that there aren't enough decent copies to go around for all the folks participating in the hobby NOW (both former and new, making the market larger than it once was).  More folks are appreciating this key as a PC trophy or investment vehicle or both, so it could be that more and more copies will be disappearing long-term into PCs and/or safe deposit boxes.  Time will tell.  Regardless, a lot of keys have shot up recently with no special catalyst, so why not one the ever popular IH#1, which DOES have a catalyst (X-Men/MCU)?  So I think part of it is that it has remained hot with inadequate supply, and part could be riding the wave of exuberance in the keys market in general.  Or maybe, just mabe, folks finally noticed that the Hulk is on the cover, too.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

I guess you are asking why has it continued to go up.  

Hulk 181 continuing to go up in price wasn’t really what I was wondering. That’s something to be expected.

But the rate at which it has gone up recently is what’s baffling. 

Like I said, I sold my copy for about gpa (maybe a little higher), and within 4 months it has basically doubled in price. Unless I’m doing my math wrong, that seems pretty extreme to me.

Edited by Darkowl