• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ninanina said:

But that sale is from February.  Since then we've had at least two GSX #1 CGC9.8 sell for $60K+.  I cannot imagine a Hulk 181 in similar condition would sell for less at this point.  It's has to be hovering near the 6-figure mark now.  Will be interesting to see when the next one sells.  The 9.6s have been creeping up quickly.  Basically selling for 2x now what they were selling for at the end of 2020.

Edited by mcduckz

3 hours ago, mcduckz said:

But that sale is from February.  Since then we've had at least two GSX #1 CGC9.8 sell for $60K+.  I cannot imagine a Hulk 181 in similar condition would sell for less at this point.  It's has to be hovering near the 6-figure mark now.  Will be interesting to see when the next one sells.  The 9.6s have been creeping up quickly.  Basically selling for 2x now what they were selling for at the end of 2020.

So, Hulk #181 100K a pop is the new reality.

4 hours ago, mcduckz said:

Yeah that example is not too relevant at this point. A sale from February 16th may as well be from 5 years ago. There have been a number of market resetting auctions since then as you pointed out. If a GSXM 9.8 can approach 70k no reason 181 9.8 can't easily surpass that.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah that example is not too relevant at this point. A sale from February 16th may as well be from 5 years ago. There have been a number of market resetting auctions since then as you pointed out. If a GSXM 9.8 can approach 70k no reason 181 9.8 can't easily surpass that.

By the same logic, I'm very interested to see where the 9.8 Werewolf by Night 32 on ComicLink will end this week.  It's a notoriously hard book to get in high grade and is already at $45K as of today with 2 days of bidding left.  If Hulk 181 truly is THE book to have for BA, then it should lead both GSX and WbN32.

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
15 minutes ago, alexgross.com said:

doesnt this mean the world is ending and the economy is crashing?!?! :wink:

Totally healthy to have a pull back.  The upward momentum is becoming unsustainable.  

Rfe5ac416998d9cbd879975cadd4b295f?rik=vB

I assume having high grades sell would semi stabilize..... the fmv

Given to run it up higher, there has to be someone with that amount of spare funds floating around at the right time etc

If it gives it a breather to give a more natural run up, then I'm all for it, really as y'all stated might even be a healthy sign?

still, I think now that the upper values are somewhat determined with a couple of sales that

lower still might catch up a bit

maybe that determines even more if another high grade comes to market?

Just kind of speculating, I'm not as "familiar" as everyone else, and it shows lol 

Personally I'm ok with high grade stabilizing as most of my keys are not above 8 or 9 range :smile:

However, I believe the increase in prices of high grade keys have placed them out of the range of many and the increase in lower grade prices is due to what people can actually afford. My 181 is 6.5 and as I noted earlier in the thread, a few recents have sold for over $7K. That has been an incredible increase in just the past few months. 

You guys think in a few years the hulk 181 in cgc 8.0 and higher will come back down to around an 8.0 being about $8,000 and a 9.0 being about $9,000 or so you think the new prices will be the set benchmark for those grades?