• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, kimik said:

The bigger question now is which Marvel BA key will be the next to jump like this? Is it ASM #129 or GSX #1, or some other book?

X-men 94 is a good candidate for an upswing as well, imo. 

13 hours ago, bentbryan said:

An auction for a CGC’d 5.0 just ended at $2,345 with 26 bids. 

8 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Canadian shipping and some of the most terrible pics if ever seen..thats why it ended at that price.  Some people just can't make a proper ebay listing  

Except that “terrible” eBay listing for the 7.0 was the exact same as the 5.0 (same seller same listing photos etc.) - so sets a record for a 5.0 and misses on the 7.0 by $560 ..... nothing to do with the eBay listing, the pricing of this book is just all over the place with people speculating that they can sell for more. 

14 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

And it''ll go past 3K soon after you sell it

That will definitely happen.  No matter what I sell, it always spikes after I do it.  It's like the universe enjoys kicking me in the nuts.  

The 7.0 that sold for $2944 at auction was the second highest recorded sale in that grade EVER, topped only by the somewhat silly $3500 BIN that just happened. Hardly a disappointment.

It wasn't a $3500 book that lost $600 of value at auction. It was a $2900 book that sold for $600 over market price in a freakish BIN with an overeager buyer. 

1 hour ago, october said:

The 7.0 that sold for $2944 at auction was the second highest recorded sale in that grade EVER, topped only by the somewhat silly $3500 BIN that just happened. Hardly a disappointment.

It wasn't a $3500 book that lost $600 of value at auction. It was a $2900 book that sold for $600 over market price in a freakish BIN with an overeager buyer. 

Absolutely correct. It doesn't get discussed, but it often happens that a freakish E-Bay BIN will skew GPA, especially when it's the Last Sale on GPA.  In this case, both sales went into GPA with the last GPA now at the, more realistic, auction price. The friendlier last GPA will 'help' buyers, at least for a while. For sellers, I would still price it at the BIN price.

2 hours ago, october said:

49 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Absolutely correct. It doesn't get discussed, but it often happens that a freakish E-Bay BIN will skew GPA, especially when it's the Last Sale on GPA.  In this case, both sales went into GPA with the last GPA now at the, more realistic, auction price. The friendlier last GPA will 'help' buyers, at least for a while. For sellers, I would still price it at the BIN price.

Oh I don't think it is a $3,500 book (or a $2,900 book for that matter) - what I was pointing out was people were trumpeting the 5.0 sale from the same seller saying look at how high this 5.0 sale was AND were also trumpeting the $3,500 sale as the new benchmark.  So I was just pointing out that each successive sale will not be for more than the last like most people seem to think it will be AND I also found it curious that while the high 5.0 sale was trumpeted the lower 7.0 sale was not (and I guarantee if the 7.0 sale was for $3,501 this place would have went bananas over it).

17 hours ago, scooter99 said:

X-men 94 is a good candidate for an upswing as well, imo. 

Call me crazy but I think it's over priced. It doesn't hold any major significance with todays collecting mentality. I wouldn't be surprised to see a redistribution of value from X-Men 94 to Giant Size X-Men 1

3 hours ago, dinesh_s said:

Call me crazy but I think it's over priced. It doesn't hold any major significance with todays collecting mentality. I wouldn't be surprised to see a redistribution of value from X-Men 94 to Giant Size X-Men 1

It's not overpriced, you just don't see the value in it that others do since something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it....There are plenty of books I'd never buy that sell for big bucks, doesn't mean it's "over priced"  If a lot of people want something and there isn't enough supply to meet the demand, the price goes up.  

Edited by Kevin76

2 minutes ago, Tazmaster83 said:

Whoever sold those 2 3.0’s, one at $1000 or best offer and the other at $700 or best offer is really unprepared and didn’t do his homework.  The seller left a lot of money on the table.

Of hulk 181?

That is correct.  The same seller offered IH 181 at $1000 and $700 and we’re sold very quickly.  I like to add that the seller just sold a green label IH 181 7.5 for $1300. 

Edited by Tazmaster83

12 hours ago, dinesh_s said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that redistribution already happened about 20 years ago. 94 only beats GSXM at 9.8, where its numbers are notoriously low. Historically, though, 94 was the higher-priced/more significant book until sometime in the mid-to-late 90's when GSXM turned the tables and has surged ahead since. I think this is why some may feel 94 is now undervalued/overlooked and may be due for a correction since the hobby valued 94 over GSXM for years. Like you said, though, maybe that significance has dropped off with the dwindling numbers of run collectors and most primarily view it as only the second app. of the New X-Men.  If, however, even 101 manages to overtake 94, as was mentioned earlier, that would be quite a fall for what was once one of the biggest keys of the era.

When I see run ups like what is going on with Hulk 181, I wonder if we are pricing people out of the hobby.  If I was a teenager right now or even in my 20's there is no way you could spend 5 g's on a funny book.  Most likely they will turn their backs and not look back.

8 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

When I see run ups like what is going on with Hulk 181, I wonder if we are pricing people out of the hobby.  If I was a teenager right now or even in my 20's there is no way you could spend 5 g's on a funny book.  Most likely they will turn their backs and not look back.

Did any of us quit buying comics when we discovered Action Comics #1 was more than the price of a house?  If it's a household name character, easily recognizable to pretty much everyone outside this hobby, the first appearance comics should be expensive.  Otherwise, we're in a hobby that doesn't reward anything that happens in "the real world".

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:
19 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Did any of us quit buying comics when we discovered Action Comics #1 was more than the price of a house?  If it's a household name character, easily recognizable to pretty much everyone outside this hobby, the first appearance comics should be expensive.  Otherwise, we're in a hobby that doesn't reward anything that happens in "the real world".

Plus they have venom, carnage, an assortment of goblins, deadpool, Quinn, and X23. I didn't get too frustrated that Spiderman was out of my range, maybe a little though, so I see where your coming from but I had other characters like the X-Men and wolverine. The next generation will have x23, an assortment of Spidermen and women and etc.