• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

How many of you would buy a comic today at $1000, knowing it’s goong to be worth $100 in a year? I’d bet not many. The biggest drive to comics as a hobby is the appreciate of key comics. The comic industry isn’t what it was 10-15 years ago. Movie speculations, tv speculations... buy outs. Most super hero keys you buy now will steadily appreciate year over year. The ROI in comics is becoming unheard of. It’s hard to be a collector when you buy a comic for $2200 and a month later sell it, not expecting to,  for $3500. 

My friends all loved Marvel/DC movies, they grew up with comic books. They see the investment of comics and want to get in, but it’s a hard sell to a wife that you want to drop thousands of dollars on nostalgia. Single dude making good money will see troubles getting even with the most basic of keys in the silver age above a a 7.0 nowadays.

We’re all in this for the investment first, nostalgia/collector second. (Unless money isn’t a concern for you)

i do think that when someone overpays dramatically for a book, like has just happened with the apparently legit sale of hulk 181 7.0 for $3500 on feebay last week, it can put a dampener on the action of a hot book. because what follows is everyone drastically overpricing their books ( now a 7.0 is listed for $3995 obo) and less sales will take place. it will be interesting to see if this dulls what has otherwise been the most explosive short term rise for one book i have seen since i started paying attention around 5-6 years ago. 

46 minutes ago, YouFoundDonon said:

How many of you would buy a comic today at $1000, knowing it’s goong to be worth $100 in a year? I’d bet not many. The biggest drive to comics as a hobby is the appreciate of key comics. The comic industry isn’t what it was 10-15 years ago. Movie speculations, tv speculations... buy outs. Most super hero keys you buy now will steadily appreciate year over year. The ROI in comics is becoming unheard of. It’s hard to be a collector when you buy a comic for $2200 and a month later sell it, not expecting to,  for $3500. 

My friends all loved Marvel/DC movies, they grew up with comic books. They see the investment of comics and want to get in, but it’s a hard sell to a wife that you want to drop thousands of dollars on nostalgia. Single dude making good money will see troubles getting even with the most basic of keys in the silver age above a a 7.0 nowadays.

We’re all in this for the investment first, nostalgia/collector second. (Unless money isn’t a concern for you)

I must be an anomaly, because I am here for the nostalgia, collecting aspect.  If they appreciate over time my kids can sell them.

28 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I must be an anomaly, because I am here for the nostalgia, collecting aspect.  If they appreciate over time my kids can sell them.

this is an old debate here too, but i believe his point was that if you are spending thousands of dollars on graded books, and you don't care about the investment aspect of your purchases, then you must be in the 1 per cent. most of us need to feel that the investment is a good one or we would not do it, when you are talking four or five figures. that does not mean that we don't also collect books to read and cherish. for me, those books are not graded and are not in the thousands of dollars. a slabbed book is an investment for the vast majority of folks. 

1 hour ago, YouFoundDonon said:

The ROI in comics is becoming unheard of.

Not at all. Just because every comparable couldn't be sustained doesn't mean they didn't happen.

But what does that say about the future of comics?

1 hour ago, YouFoundDonon said:

Speak for yourself.

13 minutes ago, YouFoundDonon said:

You guys can hide it but unless you bought the comic when it was 10 or 15 cents or dirt cheap years ago, you're in it as an investment now. Unless you're a millionaire. 

Just not true. Comics are just about the only thing I spend money on recreationally. I buy 9.6s and 9.8s of titles I am interested in (Bronze Superman books, etc.) simply because I enjoy high grade books. I have no expectation that they will appreciate in value, nor do I care. 

Even those buying 9.8s of major keys (not me) have reasons other than investment: pride of ownership, etc.

Edited by Paul_Maul

I’m not referring to Modern, Copper and Bronze. Silver age and golden age comics in high grade are investments, It is a rare case were its just bought by a hobbyist. (Outside of select comics). 

You’re not buying a 9.8 ASM300 for the nostalgia. You can get that from a 5.0. You’re buying it because it will appreciate the best and you’ll get your nostalgic kick.

Edited by YouFoundDonon

13 minutes ago, YouFoundDonon said:

I’m not referring to Modern, Copper and Bronze. Silver age and golden age comics in high grade are investments, It is a rare case were its just bought by a hobbyist. (Outside of select comics). 

You’re not buying a 9.8 ASM300 for the nostalgia. You can get that from a 5.0. You’re buying it because it will appreciate the best and you’ll get your nostalgic kick.

Dude, you are so wrong. I am a collector, and I know other collectors, that simply want high grade copies of nostalgic books with no consideration for investment. A 5.0 just doesn't stimulate the nostalgia. BTW, for investing, I will buy stocks. 

30 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I am a collector, and I know other collectors, that simply want high grade copies of nostalgic books with no consideration for investment.

This reminds me of a passage from a book I read once concerning why collectors seek out high grade comics---it's because we're reliving our memories, and the nicer the book is, the clearer the memory. I rather liked that...  :bigsmile:

46 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

You’re wrong in assuming that the only reason people want high grade books is for investment. Some people just like things to be in nice condition.

Yes indeed! Part of the fun for me is the thrill of the hunt; finding something sweet amongst all the rubbish...  :headbang:

4 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This reminds me of a passage from a book I read once concerning why collectors seek out high grade comics---it's because we're reliving our memories, and the nicer the book is, the clearer the memory. I rather liked that...  :bigsmile:

When you think about it, it makes sense. A comic which appears brand new takes you back to the time the comic came out. A yellowed, creased up comic does not.

30 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

When you think about it, it makes sense. A comic which appears brand new takes you back to the time the comic came out. A yellowed, creased up comic does not.

I somewhat disagree - I love low grade presentable copies that have clearly been well loved (for silver age keys) as I can see the original owner reading it hundreds of times and folding it and putting it in his/her back pocket etc. (Don't get me wrong budget also dictates that I buy lower grade keys :) ).  It is somewhat similar as to why for copper books I much prefer newsstand copies because I can picture them being purchased at a local newsstand or corner store and for the purpose of being read as opposed to collected ....

18 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

I somewhat disagree - I love low grade presentable copies that have clearly been well loved (for silver age keys) as I can see the original owner reading it hundreds of times and folding it and putting it in his/her back pocket etc. (Don't get me wrong budget also dictates that I buy lower grade keys :) ).  It is somewhat similar as to why for copper books I much prefer newsstand copies because I can picture them being purchased at a local newsstand or corner store and for the purpose of being read as opposed to collected ....

That’s another good reason to enjoy a book (though it doesn’t really excite me). The difference is, a book that looks like it’s been enjoyed by many other readers doesn’t take me back to when the book came out. Maybe for those who got a lot of their comics second hand that’s more of an attraction?

51 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

That’s another good reason to enjoy a book (though it doesn’t really excite me). The difference is, a book that looks like it’s been enjoyed by many other readers doesn’t take me back to when the book came out. Maybe for those who got a lot of their comics second hand that’s more of an attraction?

For me, it's like the book is a portal to a different time. When I see the cover, I'm taken back to the place and time I first saw it. When I read the book and see a familiar panel, the same thing happens...it's like having your own personal time machine...

1 minute ago, Kevin76 said:

I really never into the whole nostalgia thing, I had XYZ as a kid..so what?  (shrug)  I can rebuy my childhoods toys at anytime but have no need to...it would just be more stuff piled up.   

hm