• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, tdotcbc84 said:

So I'm curious.... specifically towards dealers here... how are you guys pricing Hulk 181s right now?

On most books, I look at 90 Day GPA, if it's hot book, I'll maybe look at last 5 sales, the last 30 days.

But with the Hulk 181s, it seems like every new sale is a RECORD BREAKING one.

How are you pricing? Either as a buyer or a seller........???

Any recorded sale of a book, even if it's a ridiculous outlier, like the $3500 for a 7.0 last week, automatically causes all dealers as well as collectors and small time hobbyist sellers to reprice everything on the assumption that that is the new normal price. it's not their fault of course, everyone wants to make money. everyone is pricing their 181s stupid expensive now. if they don't, then it sells fast. the only way to gauge the real market price for these books is to watch real auctions, not one BUY IT NOW purchase. 

BTW the ss 181 8.5 that sold on feebay earlier today went for 5k, not the 6k BIN price that shows up on the sold listing.  

20 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Doesn't matter

I think it matters. Doom is still a big time character. The book in the same grade will always be worth more and that’s with no proper movies. Again, being an early SA and harder to find of a major character is key. 

We can agree to disagree though, no one really know, just opinions. 

1 hour ago, Turb0wned said:

I think it matters. Doom is still a big time character. The book in the same grade will always be worth more and that’s with no proper movies. Again, being an early SA and harder to find of a major character is key. 

We can agree to disagree though, no one really know, just opinions. 

FF5 is awesome, no question about it and I do really want one, I just think in the long term that the 181 will catch up and pass the FF 5  

7 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

I know what the census says. I meant it's not widely available for sale in the top grades as that's what I thought you were implying. It's even less widely available in top graded white pages.

What good are high census numbers if you can't find one?!

On 7/13/2018 at 2:29 PM, Paul_Maul said:

An IH 182 9.8 ow/w just sold for 2,095 plus 25 shipping. If you look it up on eBay however it says 2195 which was the bin price. Hasn't sold for over 2k in a long time!

IMG_20180715_190604.jpg

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

I know what the census says. I meant it's not widely available for sale in the top grades as that's what I thought you were implying. It's even less widely available in top graded white pages.

What good are high census numbers if you can't find one?!

Maybe it's where you're looking? If you're on IG there's quite a few copies available each week. The reality is that a lot of people are sitting on high-grade copies right now, and I don't blame them, no one wants to sell if it will continue to explode.

If people who collect GA DC Comics with ~25-50 issues total on the census can find one, ANYONE can find a high-grade IH 181. Just expect to pay top dollar for it, everyone suspects that it will keep rising.

41 minutes ago, tdotcbc84 said:

Keep in mind, census sometimes mean nothing, if people are pressing and cleaning multiple times on the same copy, re submitting potentially more than 1 or 2 times --- of course it is top heavy!

Sometimes, sure. In this case I can't see how anyone can argue that relatively any grade of IH 181 is hard to find. If you have the cash it's available.

I can name pretty much an infinite list of DC books that are harder to find without breaking a sweat. Granted this is the difference between collecting DC and collecting Marvel, let alone any other publishers from yesteryear.

One thing is not up for debate, there are A LOT of IH 181's out there, graded and ungraded.

Edited by Howling Mad

No, it‘s not a rare book. It’s how the supply compares to the demand that matters of course. But I think it’s hard to argue that the current spike in price is driven by demand from ”end users.” Its speculation driven, and it’s not like we haven’t been this route before. 

3 hours ago, Turb0wned said:

We all love 181 but no way anyone can argue that this book isn’t everywhere in every grade. Personally I think it’s one of the most overpriced books out their with how many copies there are. Now being overpriced is good for us that bought when it was cheaper.

This is a book in which inflated census numbers due to multiple re submissions mean squat!!! It doesn't have to be a rare book for demand to far outpace supply. Especially in top grades! Buyers obviously & rightly don't give a flip about the census.  

The moment someone dons the classic wolverine suit & mask on the big screen these current prices will seem like flea market bargains!

3 hours ago, Turb0wned said:

I agree 100%. I’m just riding this wave to see where it slows to sell. I love this book but I would make enough money off it to buy an early Silver age at this point. 

I wonder how much of this price increase is an indicator that the bronze age is now old enough that the distinction between silver and bronze is evaporating as more and more collectors were born after both.

by the way, at the torpedo comics collectors convention in los angeles yesterday, i saw several higher grade 181s yesterday. i only inquired about price on a few, but all were priced at record prices for the grade, as far as GPA goes. not a big surprise, but worth noting. of course most key books are priced that way at shows. sometimes they come down some if one negotiates. i say several copies, but it was not like everyone had one. some dealers had none and said they had sold what they had before the show already. 

14 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

No, it‘s not a rare book. It’s how the supply compares to the demand that matters of course. But I think it’s hard to argue that the current spike in price is driven by demand from ”end users.” Its speculation driven, and it’s not like we haven’t been this route before. 

agree 1000X

Now someone can quote me and argue that these current prices are bargains and that Wolverine is a massively important character (which I agree with)....... to that I say no one knows for sure, but coming on and screaming that it can only go up, seems to be an attempt to hype the book and seems like a speculative play, but everyone is entitled to their opinions :):foryou:

3 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

agree 1000X

Now someone can quote me and argue that these current prices are bargains and that Wolverine is a massively important character (which I agree with)....... to that I say no one knows for sure, but coming on and screaming that it can only go up, seems to be an attempt to hype the book and seems like a speculative play, but everyone is entitled to their opinions :):foryou:

Who's screaming it could go nowhere but up?