• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Considering what the last couple copies have gone for, that was a pretty weak result for that 9.8 on comiclink at $30k.

Although to be fair, there were LOTS of weak results in this auction across all Ages of comics.  

-J.

Auction fatigue.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Considering what the last couple copies have gone for, that was a pretty weak result for that 9.8 on comiclink at $30k.

Although to be fair, there were LOTS of weak results in this auction across all Ages of comics.  

-J.

So far I have hit higher prices than expected on the first two of my four consignments. Hopefully this holds for next week as well. :wishluck:

7 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

WOW...glad I grabbed my 2x coverless copies a year ago for a fraction of this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-1974-coverless-otherwise-almost-flawless/382647181918

Yeah I was keeping an eye on this. Just wacko bananas! I'd definitely submit that splash page to CGC for encapsulation if I had a chance. I'm just glad I was able to grab a decently priced raw 180 with a good looking last page

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I was keeping an eye on this. Just wacko bananas! I'd definitely submit that splash page to CGC for encapsulation if I had a chance. I'm just glad I was able to grab a decently priced raw 180 with a good looking last page

I paid $10 for my coverless copy a few years ago. It was better than this one, stamp and all...was happy to break $100 when I sold it...

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Getoutandstayout said:

I was considering trying to get a lower grade copy of Hulk #181 at this summer's big Comic Con, but upon browsing eBay I saw that copies at just 3.5 are going for $900.00?! Are you kidding? I'd have to drop a Grand just to get a 4.0 copy - if that? I know Wolverine was in the movies, helping to drive up prices, but is he really this popular? Or are speculators driving up the price into a nice price bubble that's going to bust soon? It can't keep going up like it is. Reminds me of the dot.com bubble of the late 90s in a way. I'm suspicious of these outrageous prices. I may just find a good Marvel Mystery Comics issue (my Golden Age favorite) that's under $1,000. I *know* those are in demand and will go up every year.

The bubble has burst and the market is overloaded with CGC Hulks because EVERYONE wants their blood money out of it and the pricing arcs are insane, so, naturally, it's all moving at the speed of mud.

And, even if I had it, there is NO way I could drop 35k on a  Hulk CGC 9.8 and still like myself. That's just insane for a 44 year old book, when there are a lot of others Bronze Books that aren't even getting beer money love.

I reckon by the time they DO get to even HALF of 35k, we'll all be dead.

11 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

a 9.8 ow/w on ebay ended tonight at 29K. Only 2 bids.

I think that I saw that when its first bid was either $27,000 or $27,999 or something, major coin but is that a above or below the going rate recently? I wasn't sure...

35 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that I saw that when its first bid was either $27,000 or $27,999 or something, major coin but is that a above or below the going rate recently? I wasn't sure...

9.8 w/p went for just over $30 grand in the last ComicLink auction, seems like roughly market rate on the eBay sale.

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
40 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

9.8 w/p went for just over $30 grand in the last ComicLink auction, seems like roughly market rate on the eBay sale.

1 month ago wp @ 38.4K

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7192-91069.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-Thumbnail-022817&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, drbanner said:

31 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

This one has a better spine cut than the CLink book.  Probably doesn’t account for all $8 grand of the difference, but it’s something.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

A near perfect registration, nicely centered with a nice looking spine seems right to me at $38.4.   The 30k and $29k copies were similar with the registration not as nice, spine cut not as nice, therefore we have a premium of $8k eye appeal

since we are comparing 9.8s, who sold a 9.8 on oct 19 2018 for $39,000 according to gpa.  Would be curious how the spine cut was for that one 

Edited by Spiderturtle