• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

When books in certain grades sell for similar prices like this book, that to me is a clear indicator people are overpaying - great book to have to sell but not a great book to buy in low and mid grade. There is no reason a 3.0 and 5.5 of this book should be separated by a hundred dollars. 

I know right! And it's been that way for quite a while with 5.5 to 3.0 and for a time 6.5.

That being said, now 7.5 is being priced more aggressively and same with 6.5. 

11 hours ago, jason4 said:

Pwned. 

I have both 5.5 129 and 7.0 for 181 and they both need a press. Going to cost a ton :(

Well, if you would really like top-tier copies you could sell quantity (ie. most of collection) for quality.

A little unusual when your collection is only a few issues strong but a good investment. E-copies of everything are always available for reading.

21 hours ago, jason4 said:

Pwned. 

I have both 5.5 129 and 7.0 for 181 and they both need a press. Going to cost a ton :(

I had a similar fate - pressing is only $10 and IH 181 being ‘74 cost $70 I believe for a regrading ( I did get a .5 bump though) I also own one of each - punisher and wolverine 1st app 5.5, 5.0 - I’m just happy to have them and have them slabbed ....

1 hour ago, october said:

This argument has been around for decades though. Does anyone spending $1000+ on a copy really  think it's rare? A simple ten second eBay search would disabuse any buyer of that. I think it sells for every increasing amounts for the same reason it has always has....it's arguably the most important post silver age book and the intro of the most popular character since Spider-Man. Value on 181 has moved exactly the way it should for honest growth. Bit by bit, year after year. Our jaded comic minds might scoff at it as being common, but to a great many collectors under the age of 40 this is the ultimate book to own. 

I guess what I meant to say was, if you are going to buy the book (which is a great book to have) spend the extra money and buy a copy above 7.0  as the mid grades seem to close together to really provide value

Yeah, with such a small price spread I don't know why anyone would go for a low-grade copy when some patients could probably yield significantly nicer one. I've seen this Phenomenon with a bunch of books, especially graded keys. It's pretty strange.

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I guess what I meant to say was, if you are going to buy the book (which is a great book to have) spend the extra money and buy a copy above 7.0  as the mid grades seem to close together to really provide value

What would you suggest the "sweet spot" grade(s) to buy?

15 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

What would you suggest the "sweet spot" grade(s) to buy?

Still probably 7.0/7.5 as the prices are trying to inch up, but are not solid in the $2,500 range. Meaning some are still going for around or under $2000, even though an 8.0 is going more around $3,000.... so that is my opinion :) 

22 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Still probably 7.0/7.5 as the prices are trying to inch up, but are not solid in the $2,500 range. Meaning some are still going for around or under $2000, even though an 8.0 is going more around $3,000.... so that is my opinion :) 

This. Although I think 7.0 is better value than an 7.5 as the gap between the two has gotten fairly large.

On January 30, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I sold a 9.0 for 2900 couple years ago...

Torpedo Comics must have sold a SS 9.8 recently... and someone on Instagram bought a 2xsig 9.8 from a seller in San Diego... 

if a Blue Label 9.8 becomes a 30k book Ill probably blank my pants...

Edited by story cover & art by...

Not surprising this book is doing so well with comics prices in general on the upswing in correlation with the economy and the stock market.

In retrospect (it appears to me), the last time U.S. suffered through a bear market, Hulk 181 prices slowed down and prices were depressed for awhile.  

As long as the economy remains strong, what could possibly derail this book?