• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but unfortunately definitely not a double or even a match (so far) when compared to some of the nosebleed prices prior to 2013.  (shrug)

Not to get into it! but on GPA there is only 3 sales ALL TIME that are higher that where this book is right now. Also it has matched and exceeded all other sales from the time you mentioned. :shy:(shrug)

Edited by paul747

On 2/12/2018 at 2:02 PM, MGsimba77 said:

If they ever put hulk v wolverine on the big screen this thing will be the Mount St. Helens of comic books!!!???

It should be noted that the summit of Mount St. Helens became considerably lower after the eruption.

On 2/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, paul747 said:
On 2/12/2018 at 8:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but unfortunately definitely not a double or even a match (so far) when compared to some of the nosebleed prices prior to 2013.  (shrug)

Not to get into it! but on GPA there is only 3 sales ALL TIME that are higher that where this book is right now. Also it has matched and exceeded all other sales from the time you mentioned. :shy:(shrug)

I will say this, it is definitely a good sign when a book is able to sell for increasing prices across all condition grade levels and even more so, if they can achieve these rising prices for restored copies.

To me, that's a sign of a true investment quality collectible, as opposed to a book that is only able to sell at the highest graded levels only and yet pretty much unable to sell for anything in lower than that nosebleed condition level.  hm

On 2/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, story cover & art by... said:

I agree with you... AF15 is definetly overvalued and its bubble will burst... 

It's the #3 book in the hobby, trailing only Action 1 and Tec 27 so far as importance.  It would be #1 had it come out when those 2 books did.  

The run-up over the past couple years was a bit crazy/fast and it seems to be leveling off a bit.  But, I don't see it dropping much (if at all).  

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I will say this, it is definitely a good sign when a book is able to sell for increasing prices across all condition grade levels and even more so

AF#15 and Hulk#181 are not only great investments in the comic book hobby but they are two of the best collectibles in all the collectibles market. Sometimes I think the comic book fans themselves don't realize how popular and desired these two comic books are.

They are gold standard. Many people want them and not just hard core comic book collectors.

46 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

They are gold standard. Many people want them and not just hard core comic book collectors.

Agree.  I'm an SA fan so I'd spend 6k differently.   But, using the OP's options, I'd go with the Hulk 181 9.4 over the 2 books.   Always go Quality over Quantity.  

25 years ago, these books were about equal.  Over that time, Wolverine has well surpassed the Punisher in terms of popularity (he was even back then when both guided for $75).  The Punisher is never going to be more popular than Wolverine.  Doesn't matter how many Netlflix seasons there are.  The spread between 9.0 and 9.4 is pretty good already.  It will grow.  There's a noticeable difference between a 9.0 and 9.4.   

18 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree.  I'm an SA fan so I'd spend 6k differently.   But, using the OP's options, I'd go with the Hulk 181 9.4 over the 2 books.   Always go Quality over Quantity.  

25 years ago, these books were about equal.  Over that time, Wolverine has well surpassed the Punisher in terms of popularity (he was even back then when both guided for $75).  The Punisher is never going to be more popular than Wolverine.  Doesn't matter how many Netlflix seasons there are.  The spread between 9.0 and 9.4 is pretty good already.  It will grow.  There's a noticeable difference between a 9.0 and 9.4.   

I certainly agree with quality over quantity.  I'd consider a 9.2 181 and Batman 232 in 9.2, both well centered with white pages, of course. 

On 2/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, chrisco37 said:

Most definately agree ASM#129 will never pass Hulk #181 in popularity,but after Hulk#181 in the bronze age it is probably the next key to have.

Think of 

Hulk #181 and ASM#129

as the Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 of the bronze age.

So yeah ASM #129 falls short of Hulk #181 but it is the king of just about all the rest of bronze age keys going forward long-term.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, lou_fine said:

2009 seems to have the high according to GPA.

2009:
High - $26,501

Low - $15,000

High - $23,000

Low - $15,000

Seems pretty close to me.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Most definately agree ASM#129 will never pass Hulk #181 in popularity,but after Hulk#181 in the bronze age it is probably the next key to have.

Think of 

Hulk #181 and ASM#129

as the Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 of the bronze age.

So yeah ASM #129 falls short of Hulk #181 but it is the king of just about all the rest of bronze age keys going forward long-term.

GSXM #1? ASM 129 was in a bad way for a while IIRC, looked like Punisher had really lost steam until the recent Netflix breakthrough. As has been said elsewhere, Punisher has a far more limited scope (no pun intended) in terms of what you can do with his character and he looked to have topped out for many years there. Not that I don't love the book, but I'd say GSXM would take the #2 spot in Bronze, not ASM 129.

Edited by Martin Sinescu

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

GSXM #1? ASM 129 was in a bad way for a while IIRC, looked like Punisher had really lost steam until the recent Netflix breakthrough. As has been said elsewhere, Punisher has a far more limited scope (no pun intended) in terms of what you can do with his character and he looked to have topped out for many years there. Not that I don't love the book, but I'd say GSXM would take the #2 spot in Bronze, not ASM 129.

Marvel has been reluctant to push X-Men when they didn't own the movie rights. Now that they have the movie rights again, I can see Marvel promoting X-Men more. I think there will be a resurgence in the popularity of the mutants. I've always felt GSX #1 was the most important Bronze Marvel book, even if it isn't the most expensive. Wolverine would not be anywhere near as popular without the X-Men.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:17 PM, MGsimba77 said:

It would be interesting to see how they'd create Wendigo! 

Agree!  It would make for a fantastic Wolverine movie of course guest starring the Hulk. 

Instant money hit if it's done correctly and right now Marvel is hitting it's stride by releasing box revenue hit after hit!

Right now Black Panther is KILLING IT!  Best Marvel movie only under Avengers.  Black Panther for pete's sake destroyed JLA!

Who would have ever saw that coming?

11 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Agree!  It would make for a fantastic Wolverine movie of course guest starring the Hulk. 

Instant money hit if it's done correctly and right now Marvel is hitting it's stride by releasing box revenue hit after hit!

Right now Black Panther is KILLING IT!  Best Marvel movie only under Avengers.  Black Panther for pete's sake destroyed JLA!

Who would have ever saw that coming?

Okay, let's be honest here, the story in Hulk 180-182 is not very good and almost definitely would not, could not and should not be the foundation for a decent MCU movie.