• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Looks like the high bidder put in a bid above the high to protect himself :whatthe:  It appears valid since Comiclink would kick out the bidder if they knew he couldn't pay for it by now.  couple of hours have passed and the bid is still standing

I saw that. I’m stunned. Seems crazy

25 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

It keeps climbing. At 59k now. Possible two bidders really want the Mile High II pedigree?

appears that way, $20k over the predicted hammer seems a bit wacky for the pedigree but 2 guys with lots of extra money to spend and hold onto the book

3 hours ago, dinesh_s said:

It keeps climbing. At 59k now. Possible two bidders really want the Mile High II pedigree?

CVA has an established history of attracting sizable premiums on C-link 

Mile high 2 pedigree not so much.

Other recent well centered copies haven't even broken 40k.

Not complicated...

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Not complicated...

$59,000 final price.  Just imagine if it had the extra special CVA Super Duper Exceptional sticker.  You know, the one you get if you pay up for the 10 minute eval versus the normal 5...  :insane:

8 hours ago, mattn792 said:

$59,000 final price.  Just imagine if it had the extra special CVA Super Duper Exceptional sticker.  You know, the one you get if you pay up for the 10 minute eval versus the normal 5...  :insane:

It was the underbidder that was the winner 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

3 hours ago, mattn792 said:
6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Not complicated...

I would agree that it probably had a lot to do with the CVA sticker since as crazy as it sounds, bidders do pay for the labels as opposed to using their own eyes.

Like I had already posted in the other thread in General with respect to this auction result here:

image.gif.77b4d9f8a5f3ef62b2a3833a0c4b6149.gif

And to all the boardies here who said nobody would even pay an extra penny for the so-called "worthless" CVA label or sticker.  

I guess this goes to show there really are a lot of collectors willing to pay up for a label, as clearly evident by past auctions when bidders would pay multiples more for a 9.8 graded book even though it might look worse or possibly overgraded when compared to a superior looking 9.6 graded copy.    

•  
Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would agree that it probably had a lot to do with the CVA sticker since as crazy as it sounds, bidders do pay for the labels as opposed to using their own eyes.

Like I had already posted in the other thread in General with respect to this auction result here:

image.gif.77b4d9f8a5f3ef62b2a3833a0c4b6149.gif

And to all the boardies here who said nobody would even pay an extra penny for the so-called "worthless" CVA label or sticker.  

I guess this goes to show there really are a lot of collectors willing to pay up for a label, as clearly evident by past auctions when bidders would pay multiples more for a 9.8 graded book even though it might look worse or possibly overgraded when compared to a superior looking 9.6 graded copy.    

•  

That old adage about a fool and his money continues to ring true.

Deals all over eBay! some international bidder with oil money wanted a pedigree copy (not a pedigree,really)  I have seen written in several places, people making a big deal about the fact that there are not many pedigree copies of this book. That's the only thing I can think of, I don't think the sticker added 30 grand to this book. Also I wonder if the person who purchased the book knew the entire story with the mile high pedigree.

Edited by paul747

4 minutes ago, october said:

Slight edit. Who wouldn't pay up for such august provenance? 

(thumbsu

Not a pedigree, obviously, since it doesn't meet the definition of one (which is why later CGC labels no longer recognize the MH II as such).  

But, to your point, I agree - there's a lot less admiration to be had for a warehouse find of illegally retained remaindered copies as opposed to a true pedigree where someone bought it off the stands and it somehow survived the ravages of time.  I don't think the MH II merits any premium at all, frankly.  

I don't see what's so "Exceptional" about this copy either. (shrug)  

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

The $449.95 profit that CVA made for 5 minutes of work (I’m guessing those stickers cost about $0.05/each to manufacture).

Edited by mattn792

24 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yep, the recent Heritage 9.8 looked a lot better than this copy as far as aesthetics (which I guess what CVA is trying to award), but it had at least 2 obvious spine stresses which I wouldn't expect on a 9.8.

There are some head-scratching books with CVA stickers, not sure what their criteria is but off-centered books like the ComicLink 9.8 copy should not qualify.