• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

So many copies of this book are in the hands of people who have no business tying up their finances in high priced comic books. 

When the next speed bump hits the economy these books will be for sale everywhere and these same fools who lack the disposable income to buy such an expensive toy will take it in the shorts.

I would never buy comic book the way this one is being bought up for speculation, but if you look at supply and demand, the SW #1 35 cent variant will certainly remain as king of the hill.

Even the krappy 2015 SW relaunch by Marvel sold the most copies of any book in the last 25 years.

The supply of the 35 cent variant is so low, it stands a much better chance of weathering a storm. 

And I want to be right there to greet them with open-arms (and an arm around their shoulder *hehe*) buying them at a deep discounted price.    :flipbait:

Edited by Mjolnir!

Interestingly, the last hulk 181 9.8 just sold for more than the last 9.4 star wars 1 35 cent issue and it (star wars 1 35 cent) is trending down in all recent sales, whereas hulk 181 is trending up and constantly setting records in almost all grades.  

Guess in reality all it took was one disappointing movie to cool down that star wars book pretty fast.  

-J.

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Interestingly, the last hulk 181 9.8 just sold for more than the last 9.4 star wars 1 35 cent issue and it (star wars 1 35 cent) is trending down in all recent sales, whereas hulk 181 is trending up and constantly setting records in almost all grades.  

Guess in reality all it took was one disappointing movie to cool down that star wars book pretty fast.  

-J.

Which is why no one should be "Investing" in anything.

Hold your cash and wait for a correction.

Thanks for making my point, even with all the negative arrows the SW #1 has not fallen off much. And given the supply and demand it likely won't have that far to fall in the worst of corrections.

The Hulk #181 is riding a wave of irrational exuberance with the shore looming.

Edited by NP_Gresham

28 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Thanks for making my point, even with all the negative arrows the SW #1 has not fallen off much. And given the supply and demand it likely won't have that far to fall in the worst of corrections.

Many of these prices are eye popping.  

-J.

3 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

So you're implying it's time to sell not buy, correct?

8 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

So you're implying it's time to sell not buy, correct?

if you own one and you bought it at a good price, why not "hold"? It is a great book to own and if you enjoy comics, then just enjoy it/

If someone bought near this current high with thoughts of getting a great return, there could be considerable downside risk in holding on for a 'big return'.

12 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

The Star Wars book is a great book but has a niche type of interest. Yes, Star Wars has a huge fan base. I love Star Wars, and have a huge vintage toy collection, but have no desire to own the book. Hulk #181 is the definitive book of that age, regardessly of how common in supply or grade. Just because the Star Wars variant is rarer or in short supply does not make it the better or more desired book. AF 15 is out of range for most collectors now, so this is the next biggest key for most collectors.

1 minute ago, maraxusofkeld said:

The Star Wars book is a great book but has a niche type of interest. Yes, Star Wars has a huge fan base. I love Star Wars, and have a huge vintage toy collection, but have no desire to own the book. Hulk #181 is the definitive book of that age, regardessly of how common in supply or grade. Just because the Star Wars variant is rarer or in short supply does not make it the better or more desired book. AF 15 is out of range for most collectors now, so this is the next biggest key for most collectors.

You are only looking at the one end of the equation.  Supply And demand.  

Demand is only one half, and you certainly underestimated there,  as was pointed out before the reboot SW #1 was the BEST SELLING COMIC BOOK IN 25 YEARS! No Wolverine comic came close to that. the demand for all things Star Wars is clearly there in force.

Further the supply on the SW #1 35 cent variant is extremely low.  There are periods where not a single copy is listed for sale.

Hulk #181 is always available. Any curtailment in demand i.e.: economy takes a little dip or unemployment goes up and both sides of the Hulk #181 equation are going to take a hit.

The numbers don't lie, SW #1 35 cent variant is the king of the hill.

If a 9.8 ever emerged it would annihilate all records for Bronze 9.8's

13 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Stars Wars 35 cent VAR is far from trending down ! just go buy one Jay and then you can promote another winner.  Its not going anywhere. Even if the fan boys don't like the movies.

30 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

You are only looking at the one end of the equation.  Supply And demand.  

Demand is only one half, and you certainly underestimated there,  as was pointed out before the reboot SW #1 was the BEST SELLING COMIC BOOK IN 25 YEARS! No Wolverine comic came close to that. the demand for all things Star Wars is clearly there in force.

Further the supply on the SW #1 35 cent variant is extremely low.  There are periods where not a single copy is listed for sale.

Hulk #181 is always available. Any curtailment in demand i.e.: economy takes a little dip or unemployment goes up and both sides of the Hulk #181 equation are going to take a hit.

The numbers don't lie, SW #1 35 cent variant is the king of the hill.

If a 9.8 ever emerged it would annihilate all records for Bronze 9.8's

I think that Hulk #181 has real demand and real appreciation. We would need a huge comic book crash for this book to really come back down. At that point there will be lots of books to choose from. If this market stays healthy, the ship has left the port and will continue to climb.  Hulk #181 is a top book to own especially in 9.6-9.8  I don't think it will be cheaper so buy one if you want one. 10,200 CGC copies and only 100 9.8 copies it would take a lot to kill that demand for a top book of a character soon to be fully owned by Disney. Just an opinion.

2 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Wolverine did not save Marvel comics, it was Star Wars that saved Marvel comics

Yeah, that mattered... 40 years ago. Completely irrelevant to this discussion.

the reboot SW #1 was the BEST SELLING COMIC BOOK IN 25 YEARS!

No, it wasn't. The best selling comic books in history came out less than 25 years before Marvel's new Star Wars 1.

No Wolverine comic came close to that. the demand for all things Star Wars is clearly there in force.

Context matters.

Big Trouble in Little China/Escape From New York 1, Bravest Warriors: Tales of Holo John 1, and Orphan Black 1 are also some of the best selling comics this century.

How many copies does an issue of Star Wars sell now, 5% of what the first issue did? Has Star Wars lost 95% of its fans in 3 years, or was issue 1 just a perfect confluence of events?

15 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Invalid listing

I watched this auction. That book sold for $90 more than a 9.2 in the same time frame. My guess is somebody's going to crack-press-resub it.