Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,342 posts in this topic

9,974 posts
On 4/16/2019 at 12:16 PM, MGsimba77 said:

The results for the sellers tend to be better on the major auction houses

I think it really depends upon the book and most of all, whether you have luck on your side from getting the right set of eyeballs on your book. :wishluck:

I would imagine that the more common and easy to find books will tend to do better on eBay since it draws a larger audience, while the more scarcer and HTF books will do better on the major auction sites which the vintage comic book collector tends to focus more of their attention.  hm

For example, if you take a look at Iron Man 55, it would appear that the results in the most recent CL and CC auctions were certainly nothing to write home about.  And this takes into account the fact that the Avengers 4 movie is due to open up in the next couple of weeks from now.  Of course, it could also be due to the possibility that this long standing move hyped book has cooled off over the years.  (shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,876 posts

Noticed seemingly 6.5's getting a little boost on IH 181... just barely...

The big news is the last sale of 6.5's on GSXM #1....

I haven't really noticed a lot of movement on IH 181 180 nor 182...

Wish I paid for gpa.....but it's stayed the same at least....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346 posts
22 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Noticed seemingly 6.5's getting a little boost on IH 181... just barely...

The big news is the last sale of 6.5's on GSXM #1....

I haven't really noticed a lot of movement on IH 181 180 nor 182...

Wish I paid for gpa.....but it's stayed the same at least....

181 has been up & down on high grades recently...180 has been increasing steadily in HG while 182 has been increasing a little more rapidly in HG.

I don't know about mid grades for 180. I don't think too many people would even care for a mid grade 182

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,876 posts
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

181 has been up & down on high grades recently...180 has been increasing steadily in HG while 182 has been increasing a little more rapidly in HG.

I don't know about mid grades for 180. I don't think too many people would even care for a mid grade 182

 

181 I've seen the sales in high grade but wouldn't know current GPA to compare

I82 I paid crazy money for way back when, like around $250 a piece for a 7.5 SS Len wein, 9.0 blue, 6.5 SS owner in and herb Trimpe, double cover 6.5 inner and label with a 5.5 outer....

Waiting to see if it was worth the time and effort lol as it was the cheaper book, figured I could afford "specials" ha :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Way back when

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346 posts
21 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

 

181 I've seen the sales in high grade but wouldn't know current GPA to compare

I82 I paid crazy money for way back when, like around $250 a piece for a 7.5 SS Len wein, 9.0 blue, 6.5 SS owner in and herb Trimpe, double cover 6.5 inner and label with a 5.5 outer....

Waiting to see if it was worth the time and effort lol as it was the cheaper book, figured I could afford "specials" ha :wishluck:

All according to GPA...The 250 for the 7.5 Wein seems in line & probably increased in value today. Last GPA was 220 in June 2017.

The 9.0 has zig zagged up & down so much it's tough to pin point but it's been clearly trending up past 200 in past year.

Can't find double cover for 6.5 Trimpe but the regular SS Trimpe hadn't sold in years & its never been near 250 so I have no idea what your double cover stands today???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,876 posts
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

All according to GPA...The 250 for the 7.5 Wein seems in line & probably increased in value today. Last GPA was 220 in June 2017.

The 9.0 has zig zagged up & down so much it's tough to pin point but it's been clearly trending up past 200 in past year.

Can't find double cover for 6.5 Trimpe but the regular SS Trimpe hadn't sold in years & its never been near 250 so I have no idea what your double cover stands today???

Lol I waited and I was not disappointed :foryou:

The 7.5 SS back in 2017 is probably my purchase, lol i bought it from REECE comics on eBay as a best offer instead of off their website O.o along with the 9.0 probably the same day or close to it....

The double cover is blue label...

The herb Trimpe Len wein SS was a 6.5 that I'm pretty sure was $250 for me...

Of course now that I have the double SS  I no longer "need" the 7.5 SS hence this discussion, but that book (182) didn't seem in demand to me idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,876 posts
58 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

 

181 I've seen the sales in high grade but wouldn't know current GPA to compare

I82 I paid crazy money for way back when, like around $250 a piece for a 7.5 SS Len wein, 9.0 blue, 6.5 SS owner in and herb Trimpe, double cover 6.5 inner and label with a 5.5 outer....

Waiting to see if it was worth the time and effort lol as it was the cheaper book, figured I could afford "specials" ha :wishluck:

Ya sorry about that, auto correct did a number on this post there were 2 6.5's one a double cover and one doubly signed :foryou:

Anyway :sorry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346 posts
35 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Well I'd say the eBay one had better eye appeal & white pages but I know how you feel about pages

I'm not sure if those qualities were the catalyst for the number here since others with great centering (though not white pages) ended in disappointing final bids on eBay. Overall the market here has been all over the place with well centered copies selling lowish on eBay while other less eye appeal copies going higher elsewhere. 

One thing I've noticed is the white page well centered copies have sold on the higher side everywhere. I know you disagree but maybe just maybe the PQ had something to do with this particular auction result? Food for thought 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
345 posts
On 4/29/2019 at 2:01 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Well I'd say the eBay one had better eye appeal & white pages but I know how you feel about pages

I'm not sure if those qualities were the catalyst for the number here since others with great centering (though not white pages) ended in disappointing final bids on eBay. Overall the market here has been all over the place with well centered copies selling lowish on eBay while other less eye appeal copies going higher elsewhere. 

One thing I've noticed is the white page well centered copies have sold on the higher side everywhere. I know you disagree but maybe just maybe the PQ had something to do with this particular auction result? Food for thought 

Very nice! :golfclap:

Except for being pressed, the (blue) distributor spray, and the yellowing front/back cover. :baiting:

 

Untitled181+80.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346 posts
39 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Very nice! :golfclap:

Except for being pressed, the (blue) distributor spray, and the yellowing front/back cover. :baiting:

 

Untitled181+80.jpg

Well the description says never pressed. I'm not sure it would have that spray if it was pressed? Besides I don't know that too many people would be bothered if it were but who knows?

I don't really see any yellowing on the front cover. The description says back cover is bright & said poor lighting caused shadowing so not entirely sure it's actually yellowing there? I know I would have sent questions about it had I been bidding that's for sure!

The bidder may have concluded they weren't bothered with the blue spray. So many of them seem to be miswrapped or have the "marvel comics group" banner misaligned that they may have decided the wrap with white pages was worth it. The definition of "Eye appeal" could be tricky to pin down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
345 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well the description says never pressed. I'm not sure it would have that spray if it was pressed? Besides I don't know that too many people would be bothered if it were but who knows?

I don't really see any yellowing on the front cover. The description says back cover is bright & said poor lighting caused shadowing so not entirely sure it's actually yellowing there? I know I would have sent questions about it had I been bidding that's for sure!

The bidder may have concluded they weren't bothered with the blue spray. So many of them seem to be miswrapped or have the "marvel comics group" banner misaligned that they may have decided the wrap with white pages was worth it. The definition of "Eye appeal" could be tricky to pin down

The (blue) distributor spray is permanent, even Thanos can't get rid of it!

My mistake, it's not pressed. :sorry:

For colour reference, the "9.6 white square box" on the CGC label is white. The "25cent", "181NOV",and "THE INCREDIBLE HULK" is yellowing.

My IH181, CGC old label is white. The "25cent", "181NOV",and "THE INCREDIBLE HULK" is white.

Untitledyellow.jpg

 

IH181(92w)+50+1.jpg

IH181(96w)INK2-$14.7k (CGC).jpg

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346 posts
1 hour ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

The (blue) distributor spray is permanent, even Thanos can't get rid of it!

My mistake, it's not pressed. :sorry:

For colour reference, the "9.6 white square box" on the CGC label is white. The "25cent", "181NOV",and "THE INCREDIBLE HULK" is yellowing.

My IH181, CGC old label is white. The "25cent", "181NOV",and "THE INCREDIBLE HULK" is white.

 

Untitledyellow.jpg

 

IH181(92w)+50+1.jpg

Fair enough. I'd still wanna see some higher quality pictures of the 9.6 to be sure though. The lighting really sucks.

I wonder if CGC would factor yellowing on the cover when grading? I know they do it for tanning & fading but don't know about yellowing hm

Sweet 181 you have (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
17 17