• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:
5 hours ago, jzeno910 said:

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I have a question for you all. I currently own a Hulk 180 and 181. The are complete with MVS intact. However, they are both coverless. In really good shape non-the-less. My question is is is possible to find an original cover for each somewhere to make the book "complete"? Is that frowned upon? would a grading submission with no cover vs a replacement cover change the grading? Please forgive the newbee questions.

Oh and thank you!!

John

It would be tough to find an original detatched cover for one let alone both! Assuming you find one or both you'd have to staple them on ensuring a "restored" purple label.

If you submit them for grading coverless you would get an "incomplete" label which I don't know the color??? They would still assess the page quality. Its still valuable and well worth the cost of grading even coverless IMO. 

If you try and staple a replacement cover (even if it's an original one from another book) that would be frowned upon. CGC would notice the staples were not original resulting in a purple restored label notating both staples were replaced. I honestly don't know if they'd be able to distinguish between a replacement original cover and the actual cover it was printed with? Either way it would get a restored label. 

Imo you're better off submitting them coverless. At least it's honest & not a "Frankenbook" with a replacement cover. Not only would it be weird but maybe less valuable if anyone knew it wasn't the original cover.

I agree with having them graded without a cover...

Reasons

You avoid any label confusion 

And on the back of the slab of the 180 you'll have wolverine in all his glory.

On the front of 181 the same...

I believe that a "collector" would rather display it like that without the cover than a Franken book...

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree with having them graded without a cover...

Reasons

You avoid any label confusion 

And on the back of the slab of the 180 you'll have wolverine in all his glory.

On the front of 181 the same...

I believe that a "collector" would rather display it like that without the cover than a Franken book...

Oh yeah I didn't even realize that! You're right I don't think there's an ad after that page. I don't know if he meant that both covers were missing on 180 though? It could just be the front cover. Even if it had the back cover still there I think I'd probably take it off just to have that page show on the slab!

21 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Some of these average "declines" have recent sales that exceed the 90 day average by quite a bit.  

-J.

I would love nothing more than for H181 to continue to rise in value. I own a 7.5, and plan on keeping it. It just seems like things are slowing down some. 

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I feel like Hulk 181 5.5 has been pretty stagnant hovering around 2400 for over a year now... I guess mid grades never bump?

7-8 years ago you could have bought a 9.4 with $2,400.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, MGsimba77 said:

It would be tough to find an original detatched cover for one let alone both! Assuming you find one or both you'd have to staple them on ensuring a "restored" purple label.

If you submit them for grading coverless you would get an "incomplete" label which I don't know the color??? They would still assess the page quality. Its still valuable and well worth the cost of grading even coverless IMO. 

If you try and staple a replacement cover (even if it's an original one from another book) that would be frowned upon. CGC would notice the staples were not original resulting in a purple restored label notating both staples were replaced. I honestly don't know if they'd be able to distinguish between a replacement original cover and the actual cover it was printed with? Either way it would get a restored label. 

Imo you're better off submitting them coverless. At least it's honest & not a "Frankenbook" with a replacement cover. Not only would it be weird but maybe less valuable if anyone knew it wasn't the original cover.

A married cover would get a qualified label.

I just saw an ASM 3 7.5 with a married cover and first wrap that sold for just less than $1,300.

I missed the end of the auction, or I would have sniped it.

I would much rather have that copy than a coverless book in a slab.

3 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

I just saw an ASM 3 7.5 with a married cover and first wrap that sold for just less than $1,300.

I missed the end of the auction, or I would have sniped it.

I would much rather have that copy than a coverless book in a slab.

I thought if the staples were replaced its a restored label? Anyway i gotcha but having that on an asm 3 is one thing. Personally I wouldn't be too thrilled about it on an IH 181 with so many copies. Just my 2 cents I think the qualified label would impact the 181 more than the asm 3. Then again if the op desires it more power to him! 

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I thought if the staples were replaced its a restored label? Anyway i gotcha but having that on an asm 3 is one thing. Personally I wouldn't be too thrilled about it on an IH 181 with so many copies. Just my 2 cents I think the qualified label would impact the 181 more than the asm 3. Then again if the op desires it more power to him! 

Staples are a weird thing for CGC. Overstreet always said that staples can be replaced with "vintage" on books that aren't NM.

I owned an ASM 6 9.0 green label "staples replaced" for a while many years ago.

13 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

A 9.6 purple, with minor professional color touch, sold for over $7K pretty recently.

Just a beautifully presenting OW-W copy.

In a world of coverless slabs selling for $400, I think 1/2 price on a married cover 7.5 would be a win.

In that case the restoration was minor so I suppose the value of purple labels would depend upon the amount/type of restoration.

Staple replacement would receive a "conserved" grade. The attachment of a cover or any piece in an attempt to complete the book to original form would also score a conserved label according to cgc  https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

I mean if its possible to find I great looking high mid grade front cover then staple it on while avoiding a conserved label it could overcome a lot but how likely is that? It's an interesting topic though! 

Edited by MGsimba77

11 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
15 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

I thought if the staples were replaced its a restored label?

6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Staple replacement would receive a "conserved" grade. The attachment of a cover or any piece in an attempt to complete the book to original form would also score a conserved label according to cgc  https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

Wow, there sure seems to be a lot of confusion with the various CGC labels, and understandably so with all of the changes that are constantly taking place.  O.o

From the way that I read it, staple replacement with vintage staples would indeed be considered as Conservation.

As for a married cover, I believe it is neither a Qualified label or a Conserved label according to the following link:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4084/

Sounds to me like it would be a purple Restored label and the quality of the work would then determine the Aesthectic Scale rating for the restoration.  I believe the "piece reattachement" that they are referring to for the Conservation category would not include a married cover.  Best to actually check with them, although CGC's standards, definitions, and labels are prone to being changed at any point in time as history has clearly shown us.  :frustrated:

I went back and looked at it again, because I was sure it must have been graded prior.

Then I saw the label, and assumed it must have been reslabbed.

Then, I looked it up, and it was graded on 6-20-19.

ASM #3 Qualified Green Label "front cover and 1st wrap married"  Cert # 2043733004.

Oh well,... mistake,.... new change, who knows?

I still appreciate that they make these new distinctions between conserved, amateur and professional resto.

Ok so if the OP submits the 181 as he suggested with an attached cover the label it gets depends on the discretion of cgc. I forgot about the conserved label since I haven't seen one in forever. Either way I think the alterations would be notated on the label which would impact the value. 

Maybe he can find a good looking "cover only" and take his chances? I'm sure they're out there

Just noticed the sale of this CGC 9.8 graded copy of Hulk 181 in tonight's CL auction for $27,250:

RADA5E022019627_94440.jpg

Any idea if this is simply the continuation of the cool down for a few of the recent super red hot books from last year like AF 15 and Hulk 181?  (shrug)

Especially since I believe 9.8 graded copies of Hulk 181 was fetching well into the $30K+ price range last year or is this due in part to the rather fugly looking flattened white line running down the spine of this off-centered copy here?  hm

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just noticed the sale of this CGC 9.8 graded copy of Hulk 181 in tonight's CL auction for $27,250:

Any idea if this is simply the continuation of the cool down for a few of the recent super red hot books from last year like AF 15 and Hulk 181?  (shrug)

Especially since I believe 9.8 graded copies of Hulk 181 was fetching well into the $30K+ price range last year or is this due in part to the rather fugly looking flattened white line running down the spine of this off-centered copy here?  hm

Slap a CVA sticker on that puppy and you have your 30K:banana:

4 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Slap a CVA sticker on that puppy and you have your 30K:banana:

Weel, this CGC 9.8 graded copy here didn't have a CVA sticker on it and managed to fetch $38,400 last year:

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 (Marvel, 1974) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Whitepages....

Then again, the CVA sticker might simply have been out of sight and buried in one of the interior pages to denote above PQ relative to the WP designation.  lol

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Once Marvel's phase 5 comes out, this amount will be a bargain and a super deal. Just need to hold the book for a few years.