Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,361 posts in this topic

428 posts
On 5/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Very nice! :golfclap:

Except for being pressed, the (blue) distributor spray, and the yellowing front/back cover. :baiting:

 

Untitled181+80.jpg

I’d be pretty upset if I received this 9.6. It’s yellowing big time And the blue overspray and yellowing back really bug me. I’ve seen 8.5 books that look better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,836 posts
10,947 posts
On 9/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:
On 9/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, aardvark88 said:

Flashback to Doug Sulipa's 1979 'Comic World' mail order catalog:

Hulk #181 nm $3

What If #1  hot $ 7 :baiting:

X-men #94 nm $15.

I need to get in touch with Doc and Marty and get me back to the future

Amazing, $3 for a Hulk 181 back in 79

WTF..........now I know I definitely got hosed when I had to forked over $5 big ones for my wall copy back then.  :mad:  :censored:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,947 posts
7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Well, I guess the lack of the CVA Exceptional sticker must have really hurt this copy here as it sold for about $27,500 less than the one with the sticker that managed to fetched $59K on CL back in January of this year.  :screwy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 posts
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the lack of the CVA Exceptional sticker must have really hurt this copy here as it sold for about $27,500 less than the one with the sticker that managed to fetched $59K on CL back in January of this year.  :screwy:

Yeah, but the $59k also had white pages...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,947 posts
52 minutes ago, carefulsum said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the lack of the CVA Exceptional sticker must have really hurt this copy here as it sold for about $27,500 less than the one with the sticker that managed to fetched $59K on CL back in January of this year.  :screwy:

Yeah, but the $59k also had white pages...

Yeah, and as we all know what Jay would say.............if only it didn't have the dreaded white pages, it would have hit $70K without any problems at all.  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,849 posts
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the lack of the CVA Exceptional sticker must have really hurt this copy here as it sold for about $27,500 less than the one with the sticker that managed to fetched $59K on CL back in January of this year.  :screwy:

Never run auctions in Nov/Dec, Sellers will always walk away disappointed, Record sales usually happen in the winter months. I remember last year people were complaining about their results from the CL featured auction last Nov.  Better off holding out until after the 1st of the year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,697 posts
18 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Never run auctions in Nov/Dec, Sellers will always walk away disappointed, Record sales usually happen in the winter months. I remember last year people were complaining about their results from the CL featured auction last Nov.  Better off holding out until after the 1st of the year.  

You win!!! I think early fall is ideal for auctions but theres always someone willing to drive off a cliff! Oh well...good news for the bidders I guess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,600 posts
On 11/22/2019 at 1:48 AM, Kevin76 said:

Never run auctions in Nov/Dec, Sellers will always walk away disappointed, Record sales usually happen in the winter months. I remember last year people were complaining about their results from the CL featured auction last Nov.  Better off holding out until after the 1st of the year.  

I agree for the most part, unless you are selling specific high demand books. Example: Mask #1 CGC 5.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,357 posts

I just took a quick look at the some 7.5's on ebay. There's currently multiple copies under 3k. Looks like things are slowing down a little for this grade (not sure about the other ones). 

Can't wait to see how it will spike back up once Disney announces some Wolverine news, especially a Hulk vs Wolverine film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,357 posts
On 11/22/2019 at 1:48 AM, Kevin76 said:

Never run auctions in Nov/Dec, Sellers will always walk away disappointed, Record sales usually happen in the winter months. I remember last year people were complaining about their results from the CL featured auction last Nov.  Better off holding out until after the 1st of the year.  

Interesting. What's the reasoning for that?

Edited by Darkowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,385 posts
14 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Interesting. What's the reasoning for that?

Guess it depends on what your selling.  I had a GA Detective issue in the just concluded CLink auction, and it sold for more there than what I was asking for it on the boards.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,697 posts
5 hours ago, mattn792 said:
5 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Interesting. What's the reasoning for that?

Guess it depends on what your selling.  I had a GA Detective issue in the just concluded CLink auction, and it sold for more there than what I was asking for it on the boards.  

There's obviously people on Clink that don't frequent the sales thread here. Or maybe feel safer on Clink?

Maybe books that are tougher to find stand a better chance at a higher sale late in the year when people have Christmas shopping on their minds. 

According to GPA 181s in 9.2 and up are fairly solid. Though I haven't kept up with 9.0? 

I don't think MCU will say anything about x-men for quite some time. Maybe years? I'd imagine casting them would be a huge challenge especially Wolverine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,385 posts
14 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

There's obviously people on Clink that don't frequent the sales thread here. Or maybe feel safer on Clink?

Maybe books that are tougher to find stand a better chance at a higher sale late in the year when people have Christmas shopping on their minds. 

According to GPA 181s in 9.2 and up are fairly solid. Though I haven't kept up with 9.0? 

I don't think MCU will say anything about x-men for quite some time. Maybe years? I'd imagine casting them would be a huge challenge especially Wolverine!

181 prices have clearly cratered if eBay is to be believed...

 

181.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,620 posts
15 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

181 prices have clearly cratered if eBay is to be believed...

 

181.png

I doubt that sale went through lol

That's clearly a typo hahaha, I think someone might have been fired that day :eek: EEK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,697 posts
1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I doubt that sale went through lol

That's clearly a typo hahaha, I think someone might have been fired that day :eek: EEK!

Those pesky misplaced decimal points 🤯 🤬

Could be worth taking a look around their store for some more misplaced decimal points (shrug) :cool:

Edited by MGsimba77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,357 posts
9 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Guess it depends on what your selling.  I had a GA Detective issue in the just concluded CLink auction, and it sold for more there than what I was asking for it on the boards.  

Well, now that i think about it, the big budget comic book movies usually come out in the summer, which means spring is hype season, which means record sales.

Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
937 posts

Anyone know where the most recent 9.6 sale on GPA, under $9,700, occurred?

Looks like an OW/W, graded about 11 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
17 17