• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's probably because the character was created and the stories written by the old professor way back in the 40's who clearly had ideas about sexual attitudes that were way ahead of their time:  :devil:  

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women Movie Poster

Looks like he certainly didn't mind "sharing" and I am sure he also found more titillating ways to use that lasso than what he had depicted in his comic book stories.  :blush:  lol

Maybe. Maybe. Seems like kind of a reach, though. I DO take some joy in responding to "woke" people who describe WW as "Empowering" and "a real role model for young girls and women everywhere".

"Right ON, Sister! WW was into bondage and spanking early on!"

"Wh-wh-wh-WHAAAAA?" LOL!

After that, it got kinda tepid. I liked what Miller did with her in "Dark Knight III", though. The first Gadot movie was good. They had to botch it with WW 1984, of course. They wouldn't be DC otherwise.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Oh no. Wolvie absolutely relies on movies.

This is just objectively false.  H181 was steadily rising throughout the 90s and the 2000s with zero movies.  And since 2018 it has gone up more than any 3 year period in history--again, with zero movies (or even movie rumors).  Everyone knows the character and is reasonably confident that it will stick around.  I don't think it will matter at all if they don't do another movie, or even hint at one, in say the next 5 years or make one and it is garbage.  If they take time off of Spider-Man movies it ain't gonna hurt AF15 either.  They are more like icons at this point.

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

This is just objectively false.  H181 was steadily rising throughout the 90s and the 2000s with zero movies.  And since 2018 it has gone up more than any 3 year period in history--again, with zero movies (or even movie rumors).  Everyone knows the character and is reasonably confident that it will stick around.  I don't think it will matter at all if they don't do another movie, or even hint at one, in say the next 5 years or make one and it is garbage.  If they take time off of Spider-Man movies it ain't gonna hurt AF15 either.  They are more like icons at this point.

Maybe I am off on this but it works like this for me for being bullet proof................GA- Superman/Batman ( AC# 1 Tec 27 you pic)  SA- Spiderman ( AF 15) BA- Wolverine 181 CA- TMNT........ Modern age,...... Deadpool, Venom, Harley ,Miles, X-23 & I am sure I forgot a few & where I am having the most fun right now. ( All modern have to be 9.8 or just buy a raw and enjoy it............ But either way any of the books listed are solid long term regardless of what is happening right now. PS willing to trade a hundred X Force ones with DP card for your 181's come on hey are HOT HOT HOT :)

Edited by I am not Glenda

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

RIIIIGHT. "Logan" was released in 2017. It was on DVD and digital by May 2017. You are fooling yourself. IH 181 saw a massive spike in value after that. I watched it happen. Pricing for that book got stupid ridiculous. Pricing steadied in 2019 and 2020 COVID hit. Stock markets poops the bed and investors ONCE AGAIN turn to tangibles to put their bucks into. IH 181 is a blue chip book among others. Easy to find and plentiful.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I was only illustrating WW 1984 had a definite impact on the sudden drop in price for AS #8 as the first movie pushed AS #8 up in price. If it had been a success, the prices would have gone higher. TBH, I have always been quizzical about WW's appeal anyway. How that title has lasted for 80 years is beyond me.

Yeah I agree. I actually liked WW '84. It wasn't that bad and I liked the actress big time! I suspect the WW appeal came from people intrigued to see a woman portrayed as a super hero during those olden days. The Lynda Carter 70s show gave it a giant boost I'm sure. I love that show and Lynda Carter is unbeatable as WW! It's on "meTV" a classic TV network on Saturdays.

Edited by MGsimba77

1 hour ago, rckstr1253 said:

Do you guys think the prices will settle at some point in the future and maybe stay or come down a little?  I ask as I missed the boat and not sure if it’s wise to buy in now or wait and hope prices stabilize or go down a little?

My guess is when COVID vaccines kick in and things start seeing "normal" the stock market goofuses will go back to doing what they were doing and start selling off their ballast.

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I agree. I actually liked WW '84. It wasn't that bad and I liked the actress big time! I suspect the WW appeal came from people intrigued to see a woman portrayed as a super hero during those olden days. The Lynda Carter 70s show gave it a giant boost I'm sure. I love that show and Lynda Carter is unbeatable as WW! It's on "meTV" a classic TV network on Saturdays.

They've changed it over to the three stooges on metv, unless ww is on at a different time?

I'd watch reruns of collectors call if they'd show it, btw, 2 hours of the 3 stooges is too much to handle

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

There was Bulletgirl and Mary Marvel as well. They didn't do so well. Maybe it was the patriotic look. I know when they took her powers away and exiled her in the 1970's to make her a "modern free spirit" due to the liberation movement the book lost a lot of popularity. Wasn't long before she was wearing old glory again. And still.

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They've changed it over to the three stooges on metv, unless ww is on at a different time?

I'd watch reruns of collectors call if they'd show it, btw, 2 hours of the 3 stooges is too much to handle

I think it's on at either 7 or 8pm Eastern time. Otherwise they may have changed it. Yeah it's too much stooges!

19 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

There was Bulletgirl and Mary Marvel as well. They didn't do so well. Maybe it was the patriotic look. I know when they took her powers away and exiled her in the 1970's to make her a "modern free spirit" due to the liberation movement the book lost a lot of popularity. Wasn't long before she was wearing old glory again. And still.

It's a great topic for the comics historians to ponder hm. You're right, I think the patriotic theme could have played in. My earliest memories are from the 80's so I'm way too young. It's an interesting topic though. Why her over Mary Marvel hm

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Stock markets poops the bed and investors ONCE AGAIN turn to tangibles to put their bucks into.

Are you referring to the huge buying opportunity that was created with the Coronavirus panic that hit the stock markets last March?  :fear:

Sadly, as recent history has shown us, the best strategy is to buy the dip as opposed to sell the panic since virtually all of the equity indicies have doubled since that time.  If you was a stock picker and both astute and lucky enough to have loaded up on Square when it dipped below $40 or Tesla when it dropped back down below $500, you could be laughing all the way to the bank since both of those are now trading at $270+ and $3,200+ pre-split respectively.  :wishluck:  :flipbait:

On 2/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

ignore the haters. 181 consistently moves up in value, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. there are currently 4 WTB threads for 181 on page one of the WTB forum here, more than any other book. the argument that there is plentiful supply is faulty because we all know the formula involves supply AND DEMAND. demand is insatiable. people have been saying supply is plentiful for many decades now. until people get tired of wolverine, it will be THE bronze age book to own. 

While there are 4 WTB here, there are 3 to four PAGES on ebay alone with people wanting to sell an IH 181. Demand isn't "insatiable". It's been priced out of reach for most collectors. It will be the books undoing. I find it odd there are 4 requests here for an IH 181 when there are all grades in multiples on ebay to buy. Oh. Wait. Maybe the WTB's here are looking for some slack in pricing because we are all "buds". They can head to ebay and find the book. Or any number of online dealers waiting to hose the "insatiable" buyer who have inflamed loins with Hulky/Wolvie lust. BFD for IH 181.