• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've said it before....

People complain that movies are driving prices, and then when movies aren't the reason driving prices up, it's the same complaints....

Movies driving up book prices makes sense. 

A bronze book with a huge print run doubling in price in three months with no media hype is uncharacteristic.

It’s like comics have evolved to meme stock status.

15 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

On the other hand collectors and collectables are very near and dear, if I walked in and said I'd pay $10,000 for your hair, wouldnt you then look at me and question? Naaaaah .... wait really? Naaaaah, you're pulling my chain

200-1.gif

5 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

A bronze book with a huge print run doubling in price in three months with no media hype is uncharacteristic.

It’s like comics have evolved to meme stock status.

Yes indeed, wondering why is good if not just for the history aspect, but also to learn the market

People aren't so much "complaining" I guess, only they're wondering why

I hope if collectors are coming over from other hobbies such as carded, that they stick around long enough to go after minor keys as well....

1 hour ago, The Man Without Beer said:

4.5 blue label sold on ebay last night just shy of $4k. Which compared to most listings in & around that grade is low. Late night auction.

Listings asking for pie in the sky are not sales data.  Look at actual completed sales data.  Looking at GPA, a 4.0 averaged "only" $2,784 last 90 days on 6 sales, and had most recently sold for "only" $3,000.  Therefore, that $4K sale you mention is strong.  In fact, it not only matched the price most recently fetched by a 4.5 and 5.0 this month, but well exceeded the 90-day average of $3,177 for a 4.5 based on 7 books as well as the 90-day average of $3,344 for a 5.0 based on 7 books.  

Edited by Pantodude

3 hours ago, DTM700 said:
19 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've said it before....

People complain that movies are driving prices, and then when movies aren't the reason driving prices up, it's the same complaints....

Yes, but does it really make that much sense when history has shown us time and time again that these movie amd media related hype books that are driven up into the stratosphere for a short period of time in almost every single case falls back down to Earth by the time the movie comes out.  hm  (shrug)

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but does it really make that much sense when history has shown us time and time again that these movie amd media related hype books that are driven up into the stratosphere for a short period of time in almost every single case falls back down to Earth by the time the movie comes out.  hm  (shrug)

Have to disagree, I remember when the 1st Deadpool was announced ( Ryan did the mini promo). CGC 9.8 WP jumped over night from $300/400 to $800/1000+ With high grade raw's selling for as low as $50/100 in my shop one week to $300 the next. After the movie & the hype as expected it dropped, but not back down to pre movie levels but to around last years pre Covid norm of about $750/800. This tends to be the trend, look at the IM 55's sales history and numerous other books that jumped  due to "movie hype" Yes there is pre movie high but in most cases the books settle at a significant higher price then their pre movie hype number. I also suspect we will see the same trend with todays crazy hyper market, using DP as example again if pre Covid a 9.8 avg was $800 & today the book is trending at $2800/3000.....I bet it settles in at 2k when life get back to being somewhat normal for most of us, which is still a big jump from pre Covid prices, but that's just 100% speculation, if enough NEW money comes into the hobby and stays in the game who the hell know ?

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would argue that this is not an absolute truth for every book. Quality media will help a book retain its value and following. The book might see a correction, sure, but will also create a stronger attachment with the audience.

Their are books/media however, where pump and dump is rampant. Especially since anyone can blog, tweet, post a book to oblivion for hype and FOMO.

9 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:
45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Have to disagree, I remember when the 1st Deadpool was announced ( Ryan did the mini promo). CGC 9.8 WP jumped over night from $300/400 to $800/1000+ With high grade raw's selling for as low as $50/100 in my shop one week to $300 the next. After the movie & the hype as expected it dropped, but not back down to pre movie levels but to around last years pre Covid norm of about $750/800. This tends to be the trend, look at the IM 55's sales history and numerous other books that jumped  due to "movie hype" Yes there is pre movie high but in most cases the books settle at a significant higher price then their pre movie hype number.

Yes, you are definitely 100% correct here, as I really should have qualified my broader statement that although we definitely do see a significant drop back in prices from the peak movie hype levels, they do drop back, but never back down to their initial starting point before the initial movie hype.  (thumbsu

So, this kind of robust market for movie related hype books usually works out better for speculators and flippers who enjoys timing the market and can get out in time, as opposed to collectors who enjoys spending time in the market.  hm

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, you are definitely 100% correct here, as I really should have qualified my broader statement that although we definitely do see a significant drop back in prices from the peak movie hype levels, they do drop back, but never back down to their initial starting point before the initial movie hype.  (thumbsu

So, this kind of robust market for movie related hype books usually works out better for speculators and flippers who enjoys timing the market and can get out in time, as opposed to collectors who enjoys spending time in the market.  hm

Could not agree more or have said it better :)  

Edited by I am not Glenda

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Carol Danvers? I don't remember how MSH #13 and Ms. Marvel 1 made out?

9 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Carol Danvers? I don't remember how MSH #13 and Ms. Marvel 1 made out?

Not sure about Ms. Marvel 1, but I imagine most likely same downward trajectory as MSH 13 and probably par for the course when it comes to hot movie hype driven books.  :(

For the record, it looks like the 2nd highest graded copy of MSH 13 and 1 of 7 at the  time in CGC 9.6 sold at CL for a rather astounding $31,111 back in November of 2018.  This was then eventually followed by the single highest 9.8 graded copy (i.e. Federal Hill Copy) sold once again in a CL Auction nearly 2 years later in August of 2020 for the slightly lower amount of $31,000.  This was then followed by the sale of another CGC 9.6 graded copy (now 1 of 8 in this grade) just last month for $16,450.  :tonofbricks:

So, a definite downward trend it might appear, although when it comes to the current set of crazed deep pocketed FOMO buyers who have found this marketplace of ours seemingly just this month, that last sale is probably like a lifetime ago, and any new 9.6 copy might just go for way more than $30K by now.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

It seems reasonable that prices may fall back 10% or even 20%, but I think it is unlikely to be completely erased. I see others mentioning Deadpool or Ms. Marvel, Yeah these did come off the highs, but were not completely erased.  Another difficult thing to know when a movie is released is how well it will hold up over time. Again these two films are excellent examples.  One of the reasons Deadpool has held up better is we have had two strong films, especially the first one. So the residual good, and continued viewings have helped to maintain the comics value. Ms Marvel took a much harder hit, because the movie had much more of a mixed reception, has a  lower reservoir of goodwill, and to this point has less staying power. I think this has impacted the comics value.

Perhaps.  But Ms. Marvel is a legit Disney fav (and the first movie was an indisputable blockbuster), and there will definitely be at least another movie, and she will definitely be the badass of that movie (if not the MCU going forward).   That alone suggests its relative underperformance compared to other keys in 9.8 is unwarranted.  But even if, in general, the book in most grades is less of a fan fav for now, the book in a 9.8 is legit undervalued because 9.8s make up only 5.3% of the many universal slabs.   Compare with every other book of a character of that much current prominence with 9.8 populations (percentage of total-wise) like that.  Shazam #1 is in the same boat of seemingly being undervalued despite his proven popularity with children and thus [EDITED: Warner Bros], and also being on WB's concrete near-term movie plans.   Both seem like pricing quirks destined to be corrected (i.e., by catching up) sooner or later.     

Edited by Pantodude

13 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Perhaps.  But Ms. Marvel is a legit Disney fav (and the first movie was an indisputable blockbuster), and there will definitely be at least another movie, and she will definitely be the badass of that movie (if not the MCU going forward).   That alone suggests its relative underperformance compared to other keys in 9.8 is unwarranted.  But even if, in general, the book in most grades is less of a fan fav for now, the book in a 9.8 is legit undervalued because 9.8s make up only 5.3% of the many universal slabs.   Compare with every other book of a character of that much current prominence with 9.8 populations (percentage of total-wise) like that.  Shazam #1 is in the same boat of seemingly being undervalued despite his proven popularity with children and thus Disney, and also being on Disney's concrete near-term movie plans.   Both seem like pricing quirks destined to be corrected (i.e., by catching up) sooner or later.     

the 6's have itimage.thumb.png.f9a2ad23dfbb2f07707626284c951e93.png

3 minutes ago, Pantodude said:
9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

the 6's have it

Hey there.  The above snippet is all I see of your post except for that huge image that got superimposed (blocking the rest of your text)!  

Edited 2 minutes ago by Pantodude

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

the 6's have itimage.thumb.png.f9a2ad23dfbb2f07707626284c951e93.png

lol I was just remarking about your #666 post count of the above post lol it's just for fun :foryou: 

image.thumb.png.f9a2ad23dfbb2f07707626284c951e93.png