• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

I think it is this fanbase that is going to flock to see Birds of Prey.

Again, I don't get it yet. Only follow Harley Quinn stories lightly, and not a the primary focus. But there is a massive and fanatical following. Big surprises could be coming based on this reaction.

I think this comes down to Gail Simone was invited to participate in the --script, and influenced how Black Canary was portrayed. She had hinted to this months ago about being invited to a movie in the works she couldn't talk about.

Edited by Bosco685

On 12/6/2019 at 4:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

Although I don't see the light yet with this film, I definitely recognize there is a large fanatical base that has made Harley Quinn super-popular. With just enough attention to the source material, this could be a surprise hit. Time will tell.

The target audience is the same one that drove Suicide Squad’s box office success, and it is not male comics collectors......

My teenage daughter and her friends like this trailer, and that is part of the demographic market they are targeting. The vast majority of us on the boards are not part of it.

How on earth did they make Cassandra Cain look so lame? I loved that character when she first debuted and then had her own series, this interpretation looks awful.

And Bosco is right, this movie will be panned by critics but make a bunch of money because of Harley Quinn and all her cos playing fans. Just look at how awful Aquaman was and the money that turd made.

55 minutes ago, kimik said:

The target audience is the same one that drove Suicide Squad’s box office success, and it is not male comics collectors......

My teenage daughter and her friends like this trailer, and that is part of the demographic market they are targeting. The vast majority of us on the boards are not part of it.

44 minutes ago, bane said:

How on earth did they make Cassandra Cain look so lame? I loved that character when she first debuted and then had her own series, this interpretation looks awful.

And Bosco is right, this movie will be panned by critics but make a bunch of money because of Harley Quinn and all her cos playing fans. Just look at how awful Aquaman was and the money that turd made.

It is incredible the level of excitement for this film on social media. It is like the next big thing people have been waiting for. Even the demands for the next trailer release is intense, like folks can't sleep until they see it.

I don't get it. But I guess that's because it is not specifically meant for me. We'll see.

There is definitely huge excitement for the film with the younger and female crowds. Hopefully it does great at the box office. The more successful films the more valuable our collections become. :flipbait:

On 12/7/2019 at 10:03 AM, bane said:

Oh, come on, Aquaman was good.

Birds of Prey is Definitely Rated R

Spending time on the set of Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) makes one thing clear: this movie is going to be R-rated. Sure, there's a chance that the scene filmed on this particular day would be edited down to have less language that goes beyond the PG-13 barrier but the use of 16 "F-words" in one three-minute sequence suggests it would be quite difficult to make the moment friendly for the entire family. In fact, pushing the limits on language and violence is something Birds of Prey star and producer Margot Robbie is very much looking forward to.

"I did feel like I had to censor myself a lot, obviously, to suit a PG rating," Robbie told ComicBook.com on the Birds of Prey set, comparing her experience to that of the PG-13 Suicide Squad. "And a lot of the characters that exist in the DC world, to be honest, are quite dark. And a lot of them, Huntress for example, have serious childhood trauma, have serious mental illnesses, like Harley, whatever, but I felt like we never... Sometimes you can't really go as deep with those things if you have to censor yourself. And I thought, wouldn't it be liberating if we didn't have to worry about that and really go for it, and then later, in the edit, kind of find where the tone of movie lies."

Robbie’s hard work in “Bombshell,” which was released by Lionsgate, has paid off. She will compete in the supporting actress category this week at the Golden Globes, as well as for outstanding performance by a female actor in a supporting role at the Screen Actors Guild Awards on Jan. 19. She is a front-runner for an Oscar nomination. The awards recognition capped off a year in which Robbie created a stir with her affectionate portrayal of Tate in “Once Upon a Time” and filmed “Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn,” a spinoff from the 2016 film “Suicide Squad” that she conceived more than four years ago. The movie, which Robbie stars in and produced, hits theaters on Feb. 7. She is currently shooting James Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad,” a sequel to the original film, in Atlanta. It’s slated for release Aug. 6, 2021.

“Birds of Prey” felt urgent. It features Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary and Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya. It’s written by a woman (Christina Hodson), directed by a woman (Cathy Yan) and has women producers (Robbie and Sue Kroll). The movie is an ambitious leap forward for LuckyChap — a $75 million, R-rated, Warner Bros./DC Entertainment production.

During “Suicide Squad,” Robbie says she “fell in love with” Harley Quinn, though she didn’t understand why the wildly brilliant, unstable character would stay in a relationship with the Joker (played by Jared Leto), who “wants to kill her most of the time.”

She dove into research: She read the Sam Shepard play “Fool for Love,” about a destructive relationship, and listened to TED Talks by women with schizophrenia who were also accomplished professionals. She immersed herself in the world of DC Comics, which she adores. “Harley has this unpredictable nature that means she could react in any way to any situation, which as an actor is just a gift,” Robbie says.

As for Robbie’s vision for “Birds of Prey,” Hodson says: “She really wanted to see Harley with girlfriends, Harley in a girl gang. Harley is such a naturally sociable character. And I think there was just a general longing to see girls together on screen — women being friends.”

Ackerley agrees about Robbie’s motivations. “She has a group of friends in the U.K.; she has a group of friends in Australia; she has a group of girlfriends here,” he says. “They live fun and vivacious lives. And she was like, ‘I don’t see that on screen.’” She also wanted the film to be rated R, for which, since “Deadpool” hadn’t yet come out, there was no precedent — and “it took a bit of convincing,” Robbie says.

Robbie and Hodson would meet to watch movies, and to discuss “comics that we love, different movies we love,” Robbie says. They would look at something like “Trainspotting”: “How did they achieve this feeling of beautiful chaos, but within it, everything feels satisfying?” she wonders. One of their sessions lasted 13 hours, Hodson recalls. “I was at the keyboard; she was doing story cards. She is remarkable in that sense. I certainly don’t know of any other actors like her who would do that.”

The movie, as its subtitle implies, starts after Harley’s breakup with the Joker. Robbie confirms that Leto’s incarnation of the character doesn’t appear, not even as a cameo. As far as that other “Joker” goes, Robbie thinks Joaquin Phoenix “did a phenomenal job.” But “Birds of Prey,” she says, isn’t at all like the Todd Phillips film: “I feel like the ‘Joker’ film was much more grounded. Ours is different. It’s heightened.”

It's sounding like Margot Robbie put a lot of thought into this film what would Harley Quinn do to separate herself once and for all from Joker.