• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

Just now, musicmeta said:

Margot Robbie is the draw here! Should be a pretty good movie. 

I think they did a good job with the cast selected. I wouldn't miss Mary Elizabeth Winstead being part of this crew.

14 hours ago, media_junkie said:

I hope it is a good movie, and it makes all the money in the world.  I however will not be seeing it because honestly it doesn't look good to me and I just don't get it.

Looks incredibly dumb. DC/Warner is such a mess. WW is the lone bright spot, everything else is just complete garbage. 

32 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Looks incredibly dumb. DC/Warner is such a mess. WW is the lone bright spot, everything else is just complete garbage. 

Shazam and Aquaman were far from a mess. And even Man of Steel was solid. But I can tell it doesn't work for you.

:foryou:

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Shazam and Aquaman were far from a mess. And even Man of Steel was solid. But I can tell it doesn't work for you.

:foryou:

Ahhh yes MOS was solid, my bad. I tried Aquaman but it was just too heavy on CGI for me. I haven’t seen Shazam yet either, I guess my enthusiasm has taken a punch. Their animated stuff is really good tho!

5 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Ahhh yes MOS was solid, my bad. I tried Aquaman but it was just too heavy on CGI for me. I haven’t seen Shazam yet either, I guess my enthusiasm has taken a punch. Their animated stuff is really good tho!

Shazam is not as funny as the trailers would indicate (which is a positive, IMO) and the 3rd act is very mediocre. It's still good, though.

Aquaman was always gonna be CGI-heavy. Either you live with it or you don't. Can't hold that against you, but I think it's a mostly-good movie outside of that CGI army battle trope in the 3rd Act.

DC's gold lies in their Justice League characters and their villains. They need to focus on them and stop dishing out these turds like Suicide Squad and "Birds of Prey" (which is really just a Quinn film). They're really shooting themselves in the foot with these productions.

1 hour ago, bentbryan said:

You didn’t like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight or Joker? 
I do agree this one looks bad. Maybe it will find it’s target audience but it’s not me.

6 minutes ago, Oddball said:

You didn’t like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight or Joker? 
I do agree this one looks bad. Maybe it will find it’s target audience but it’s not me.

Educated guess: He's talking explicitly about Worlds of DC (which started with Man of Steel in 2013).

Birds of Prey kicked off its tour in Mexico yesterday.

Social media feedback is already flowing out from this.

bop_feedback01.PNG.68243fca32dd72911984749ae823060f.PNG

Again, I just don't see it. But comparing it to the Nolan trilogy? Definitely a mix of fan excitement.

How did you first learn about “Birds of Prey”?
I grabbed a coffee with Christina Hodson, the screenwriter, a month or two after Sundance. We just got along very well. And it was great to see someone who had a similar background to me be working at that level. That was the first time I heard about [the movie].

Did you have a sense that that was a job that you could pursue yourself?
No, I didn’t. I thought it was a general [meeting]. We were just chatting, and at the very end, she talked to me about “Birds” and I was like, “Well, that sounds like all the director has to do is just, you know, direct the -script — it’s a great concept.” And she was like, “Well, how about you?” It took me aback, because I didn’t really think that I could do something like that — or be in the conversation for that.

When you went into that pitch meeting, only a tiny handful of women had ever been hired to direct a superhero movie at that level. How realistic did you think your chances were for landing the job?
[Laughs] I have no idea. Everything happened very quickly. I just told myself, “Luck would have it that I have an opportunity to be in this room. Let me not f— it up. And ultimately, if this is the direction that they want to take the movie, that’s amazing. If it’s not, it’s not.” I just didn’t try to think about it too much.

How did you manage being handed the keys to this giant franchise movie?
I had such institutional support from the get go. But at the same time, every day, I remember being very concerned about, like, I’ve never done this before. I actually called up [“Wonder Woman” director] Patty Jenkins during prep and I’m like, “What am I doing?” [Laughs] She told me, “You’ve got to remember that no one knows this movie as much as you. That’s what makes you the director.” And that was really, really helpful.

Finally, four of the big superhero movies this year — “Birds of Prey,” “Black Widow,” “Wonder Woman 1984” and “Eternals” — are directed by women. What does that mean to you?
It’s pretty freaking amazing. Hopefully it does what we all hope it does, which is prove that female directors can do movies of scale. I remember when I was just starting off being told, “Actually, we’ve been looking for female directors, but there aren’t that many that want to do action movies.” I remember thinking, “I do! I love action movies.” Women are capable of this. I also think that there’s a lot more to be done. It starts very, very early. I went to NYU film school and more than half of my grade was female. The desire to be directors is there. So what happens? It’s not enough to say we’ve got four women directing blockbuster movies. We have to make sure there’s a sustainable flow of new talent, too.

@Bosco685...... :shy:

I have a pre-screen pass to see this on Feb, 5, so a week from tomorrow.....

Does this look good enough to brave cold weather to line up early to get in? as it's first come first serve kind of deal...........

I haven't done one since maybe last September/October? last was "Dark Fate" I believe....

I have since learned that they banned bringing your own folding chair :( the floor sucks!

36 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Bosco685...... :shy:

I have a pre-screen pass to see this on Feb, 5, so a week from tomorrow.....

Does this look good enough to brave cold weather to line up early to get in? as it's first come first serve kind of deal...........

I haven't done one since maybe last September/October? last was "Dark Fate" I believe....

I have since learned that they banned bringing your own folding chair :( the floor sucks!

I'm still thinking this film is not for me. Not yet, anyway.

But if you watch that video above, the reviewer seems like a reasonable film fan and felt like it brought a lot of action and compared it to Deadpool. That sounds like a potential interesting film.

Though I think he also mentioned one of the key messages is 'GIRL POWER'. Which may mean it is strongly appealing to that female audience that has lagged behind males many times with the comic book genre. That is part of why Gene Simone is even more excited about this film.