• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, devilsrain said:

I expect this to be awful, but I wasn’t thinking this level of awful.  

Although I am not knocking down walls to go buy a ticket, what am I seeing that says 'awful' so I know what to rally around?

It's a Harley Quinn and her female comrades story. I wasn't expected a deep, challenging story from this. If anything, WB taking a risk like this to show it is willing to go Deadpool-crazy, this could surprise us in the end. Soon.

On a lighter note...

Just in time for the release of the new movie, Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn, DC has announced they will be running ads for their comic books in cinemas.

A 15-second commercial for Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass, the original DC graphic novel by Mariko Tamaki and Steve Pugh, will play at Regal cinemas before the start of movies and will be paired with a 15-second Birds of Prey movie promotion, offering fans a chance to win Harley’s mallet.

f1b119a7-09aa-4835-85cc-6ce2b32c9e64.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

On a lighter note...

......... I got the Pennyworth comics for the "Pennyworth Pre-screen", it's possible I could get the Bird's of Prey comics? maybe? lol I'm definitely bringing my brother, who cares about comics but doesn't care about "collecting them", just in case; and, maybe 2 bags and boards! :sumo: :wishluck: 

Review embargo lifts Wednesday, as Grace Randolph reminded everyone while proclaiming she would give the film a forced FRESH while also including what she liked and didn't like.

BoP_grace01.PNG.c946526bf3d8befee8820bbd115fb2e6.PNG

Also when the first markets open up.

BoP_schedule01.PNG.d67c5519d46c5ec231e80e60a57598d9.PNG

40 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I won’t go near this but there’s a target audience out there for it. 

That's the best way to put it. But the box office results will say even more how this goes over.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

That's the best way to put it. But the box office results will say even more how this goes over.

Yup, and I hope I’m wrong. Been wrong plenty of times. I thought Suicide Squad was going to be great and that Aquaman would bomb financially.

8 hours ago, kimik said:

This movie will do well along the lines of Suicide Squad. That is the target audience, not us middle aged comic nerds, unfortunately.

I think it depends on how you look at things as a comic book nerd, as to many this is still targeting the same comic book nerd market. Just a certain portion that may be underserved (female, ages 18-39, ethnically diverse coverage, comic book and female action film fan).

MPAA Report 2018: Women Represent 51% of Moviegoers, 47% of Ticket Buyers

Overall, women were 49 percent of the 25 top-grossing domestic films’ audiences. None of the top 25 was directed by a woman. Of the highest-earning five movies of 2018, “Incredibles 2” was the only pic with a 50-50 audience gender ratio.

“Black Panther,” the highest-grossing movie of 2018, attracted the most ethnically diverse audience: 35 percent black, 36 percent white, 18 percent Latino, six percent Asian/Pacific Islander, and five percent Native American and other groups. “Incredibles 2” drew the second most diverse audience: 46 percent white, 23 percent Latino, 17 percent black, eight percent Asian/Pacific Islander, and six percent Native American/other.

Fifty-eight percent of moviegoers and 55 percent of ticket buyers were white. Latinos, who make up 18 percent of the domestic population, were overrepresented as moviegoers (20 percent) and ticket buyers (23 percent) last year. Age-wise, 25-39-year-olds are the largest movie-going demographic. They made up nearly a quarter (23 percent) of 2018 movie audiences.

So where traditional comic book films from DC and Marvel are 55%-60% male, 40%-45% female, 55% white, they are probably going for that younger female audience that is also ethnically diverse. Not many of us.

MPAA01.PNG.7a63d99dd8530acf361f18e80f249161.PNG

MPAA02.PNG.1ed921a39dc0e1be36d6d1d69ad9d5a9.PNG

And the biggest growth market for age/gender targets? Females, ages 18-24 in 2018.

MPAA05.PNG.44eac01688fb302a1bd19ed9a5af8139.PNG

And that's okay. If anything, they are trying to break out from the cookie-cutter franchise approach to such comic book films. And like the comic book market (especially with independent books targeting the underground and alternative focused readers), we have such diversity in content.

Now back to another exciting episode of HOW HARD CAN WE RAG ON THIS MOVIE TO IMPRESS FELLOW MALE CONTRIBUTORS - THE WONDER YEARS. Heck, it worked for Joker as an alternative approach, right? What a bomb that was.

Edited by Bosco685

Gail Simone, the comic book writer of Birds of Prey, was brought in to consult with the screenwiters of this film. And she's excited about it.

Hopefully the forum app captures her thoughts, as lately it is hit-or-miss with phone posting.