• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Young people are obsessed with graphs.

Right? Let's get back to the days when a person's gut was all they needed to know the facts. The 'no details necessary zone'.

giphy.gif.5118cfba1b47f157e6a20e6b9c4c78f4.gif

:jokealert:

Disclaimer: Not directed at Comicopolis or anyone else, but more to go along with the gag.

30 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if another contributor is with the failure of Charlie's Angels to deliver a female-led team action film did this leave such audiences hungry for some that worked more effectively?

I've read this 7 times and cannot understand the question.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

One only needs to watch the 2011 Indonesian film The Raid (which cost less money to make than removing Cavill’s mustache) to see the truth in this. There is a place for CGI and it needs to be subtle to be effective. Forest Gump comes to mind.

Luiz must be smoking rocks again.

You need VFX for almost every comic book character - because they do things larger than life. Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman speak for themselves. Things like Batman grappling, gliding, and beating multiple perps to a pulp also require illusion.

You can't film Iron Man, Thor, or Hulk without VFX embellishment. It's ridiculous hyperbole.

Possibly unpopular opinion: Only the 1st John Wick movie was any good. The 'stories' of the last 2 made them boring. If you don't have a good story to tell - then it doesn't matter how practical the fight choreography is - it's gonna suck.

Also: The Raid is f^&*ing awesome.

34 minutes ago, D84 said:

Glad it wasn't just me.

Unfortunately, I think you have other blinders going on.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've read this 7 times and cannot understand the question.

Let's give it another try.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if another contributor is with the failure of Charlie's Angels to deliver a female-led team action film did this leave such audiences hungry for some that worked more effectively?

1) There are many positive posts noting this is an amazing movie because it works so strongly as a female buddy story

2) So a contributor to this extremely positive reaction could be the excitement applied to Charlie's Angels as that film - it failed massively - and now right behind it you have Birds of Prey

Did those clarifications help?

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

2) So a contributor to this extremely positive reaction could be the excitement applied to Charlie's Angels as that film - it failed massively - and now right behind it you have Birds of Prey

I cannot read #2, Bosco. I have no idea wtf this is saying. :sorry:

33 minutes ago, Grails said:

One only needs to watch the 2011 Indonesian film The Raid (which cost less money to make than removing Cavill’s mustache) to see the truth in this. There is a place for CGI and it needs to be subtle to be effective. Forest Gump comes to mind.

Agreed! Though one of the common China critics comments with Shazam was it was so practical in its approach, they felt it lacked the big immense battle that had become the norm for superhero films.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately, I think you have other blinders going on.

Let's give it another try.

1) There are many positive posts noting this is an amazing movie because it works so strongly as a female buddy story

Yes, thanks for clarifying.

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You need VFX for almost every comic book character - because they do things larger than life. Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman speak for themselves. Things like Batman grappling, gliding, and beating multiple perps to a pulp also require illusion. You can't film Iron Man, Thor, or Hulk without VFX embellishment.

Absolutely agree. I’ve rewatched Man of Steel quite a few times and the CGI is flawless and works beautifully. It’s also the only way it could ever work today. Superman 1978 has a special place in my heart and that is where it will remain.

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I might understand now. Let me amend your 2nd point to:

"A contributing factor to the excitement/reaction of this movie may be that it's not a dumpster fire of a female team-up, unlike Charlie's Angels."

Let's amend that further for a more positive and wholesome reading experience. :baiting::angel:

'A contributing factor to the excitement/reaction of this movie could be the fact the same female audience that was excited over Charlie's Angels leading to disappointment now feel as if BOP was the female buddy film they desired'

:shy: