• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

Box Office: ‘Birds Of Prey’ Nabs Troubling $4 Million Thursday

even WB's Fluffer in Chief can't spin this one positively, though there is still hope the reviews will attract a crowd

Saving this one. Your last prediction turned out fantastic. :angel:

37 minutes ago, drotto said:

Box Office Mojo has this tracking for the $40 million range given the soft Thursday preview.  I am still on the fence about seeing this.  Is it just me or has the marketing seemed weak and the Studio seems to lack enthusiasm for the film?

Are you an 18-39 year old woman that is into female buddy action films as the minimum bar for this film?

But I do agree WB held back on the marketing for the longest time. Though since Margot Robbie was also focused on Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and then Bombshell the timing was probably planned this way so as to get her full attention. With that, the pre-screening events led to some massive turnout and positive feedback (Mexico, UK). With Cannes, I didn't pick up a lot of chatter from that event I could distinguish. But the first two were massive marketing events.

BoP_Release.PNG.b323f0e5809828922d9943fa3df9d183.PNG

So yes. There was big market pushes prior to start the audience responses prior to the release. But for a sub-$100M film ($75M-$85M with the higher number now being noted by Deadline), I guess the normal marketing budget doesn't factor into this.

When Scott Mendelson has something positive to say about a film, he's the Anti-Christ. But if he says something negative, oh boy - gotta quote him. (:

The latest DC Films offering, Birds of Prey, opened with a comparatively low $4 million last night. That’s below with Shazam!, which earned $5.9 million on Thursday and went on to earn $21 million on its first Friday and $53.5 million over its debut weekend ($56.8 million counting sneak previews). Yes, it’s obviously a bit below the $20 million Thursday gross of Suicide Squad, but that was never in the cards. Suicide Squad was a $175 million, PG-13-rated ensemble flick that featured the onscreen debut of Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn, a starring role for Will Smith (in crowdpleasing franchise mode) as Deadshot and glorified (and much-hyped) cameos from Ben Affleck’s Batman and Jared Leto’s Joker. Birds of Prey is a $95 million, R-rated film that explicitly keeps Batman and the Joker offscreen while featuring no Will Smith.

Will Smith in “safe” franchise play (Aladdin, Suicide Squad and Bad Boys For Life) is worth his weight in gold. And, all due respect Todd Phillips’ Joker wouldn’t be on the verge of A) winning Joaquin Phoenix his first Oscar and B) passing the $335.5 million domestic cume of Aquaman if it was Clock King or Calendar Man. As we saw with Batman, The Dark Knight, Suicide Squad, The LEGO Batman Movie and Joker, when the Clown Prince of Crime shows up, so do audiences. Also, again, Birds of Prey is an R-rated movie which cost less than $100 million. Those were specific artistic and commercial choices tied to specific expectations. Just because Birds of Prey is an R-rated, female-centric DC Films flick featuring Harley Quinn doesn’t mean that Joker, Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad are fair comparison points.

Just because Suicide Squad arguably overperformed ($325 million domestic and $745 million without China) and Joker ridiculously overperformed ($335 million/$1.071 billion on a $63 million budget) doesn’t mean Birds of Prey is going to pull Wonder Woman ($412.5 million/$821 million/$150 million) grosses. That Thursday number isn’t great, but there is reason for optimism. The Cathy Yan-directed and Christina Hodson-written gangster comedy has earned strong reviews (86% fresh and a 6.89/10 average critic score on Rotten Tomatoes). This is the fifth out of six DCEU films (sorry Justice League) to get relatively positive reviews, with Joker (68% and 7.22/10), Shazam! (90% and 7.27/10), Aquaman (66% and 6.04/10) and Wonder Woman (93% and 7.6/10) rebutting the “DC Films is doomed!” narrative that still pops up whenever someone gets quoted in a story about Superman’s uncertain cinematic future.

Much of the coverage, especially since the review embargo dropped on Wednesday morning, has been about how:

• A) the film is pretty damn good, and
  • B) it’s indeed the kind of female-specific empowerment actioner that we all claimed to want while still refusing to be “good for you.”

Of course, just because the Internet champions something as “the movie we need right now” doesn’t mean paying consumers will show up. See also: Olivia Wilde’s Booksmart. That said, this is a comic book superhero movie featuring well-liked actors (Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rosie Perez, etc.) as somewhat known comic book characters and Ewan McGregor offering a thirst-quenching take on Black Mask as further enticement. The marketing, and the reviews, have emphasized “fun” and “escapism,” which is a key variable for selling this as a female-targeted party movie.

Funny how the rationale pieces didn't get quotes why there is a difference it is doing lower numbers, yet has strong potential to pick up. :popcorn:

Hopefully that WB Fluffer in Chief doesn't show up. That person hides all these details. :rulez:

3 minutes ago, paperheart said:

‘Birds Of Prey’ Not OK With $33M+ Opening

https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-weekend-box-office-margot-robbie-1202853768/

seems to be picking up some momentum, in the wrong direction

Deadline you say?

Warner Bros’ Birds Of Prey winged its way to 51 overseas markets on Wednesday and Thursday, grossing $7.8M at the international box office through those first two days. The Cathy Yan-directed DC spin-off has opened to No. 1 in its major plays, save Korea and Italy where local titles are dominating. Ahead of the weekend, the industry was seeing a $60M-$70M offshore launch frame; the film could come in at the lower end of that range.

In like-for-like markets and at today’s rates, Suicide Squad bowed to $135.1M, but SS opened in summer and carried a PG-13 rating. Warners is also using R-rated comps for Birds Of Prey like Mad Max: Fury Road which opened to $54M in like-for-likes. Overseas reactions have been similar to domestic on BOP and as the film skews to young women, the weekend is key.

DC titles overseas lean heavily into the European majors and Latin America with the UK, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and Russia repping the Top 5 on Suicide Squad. As expected this weekend, results are being impacted in Asia due to concern over the coronavirus epidemic with some cinemas shuttering out of precaution. Overall moviegoing is down.

The strongest start for Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn so far is Russia, at $784K from 2,936 screens. That’s above Mad Max: Fury Road (+16%) and Terminator: Dark Fate (+4%) while on par with Wonder Woman. Australia also beat R-rated comps at $437K from 528. Brazil landed $578K on Thursday from 1,506. And, Taiwan opened to $405K yesterday on 246 screens. Germany ($349K/714 screens) and Italy ($175K/520) round out the Thursday bows.

After two days of play, Korea has grossed $681K in 2nd place behind local mystery The Closet. France has a running cume of $680K on 593 screens across Wednesday and Thursday.

The UK, Spain, Mexico and 25 smaller markets released today and we’ll have updated numbers on Saturday morning.

I'm not excited to see this film. But it is nutty to ignore all the details coming from these sources that make it clear it is not a mass-appeal film, and it was purposely created for a specific market (young women, 18-39 due to it being R-rated).

:angel:

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

When Scott Mendelson has something positive to say about a film, he's the Anti-Christ. But if he says something negative, oh boy - gotta quote him. (:

Funny how the rationale pieces didn't get quotes why there is a difference it is doing lower numbers, yet has strong potential to pick up. :popcorn:

Hopefully that WB Fluffer in Chief doesn't show up. That person hides all these details. :rulez:

From the reviews I have seen it is an OK to good film. I also realize it is a 90ish million budget film with a R rating, which may affect the marketing budget as well as limiting the target audience.   It seems a little odd to me to make an R movie when a good portion of the fanbase is younger girls.

Due to all that, the marketing and cast promotion just feels off. Big box office movies need to appeal to as many people as possible,  the marketing seems like it may have turned some people off. Even though I am hearing it does not contain nearly the level of stuff certain people seem to fear.

34 minutes ago, drotto said:

From the reviews I have seen it is an OK to good film. I also realize it is a 90ish million budget film with a R rating, which may affect the marketing budget as well as limiting the target audience.   It seems a little odd to me to make an R movie when a good portion of the fanbase is younger girls.

Due to all that, the marketing and cast promotion just feels off. Big box office movies need to appeal to as many people as possible,  the marketing seems like it may have turned some people off. Even though I am hearing it does not contain nearly the level of stuff certain people seem to fear.

That's the mindset that is leading to the assumption of doom and gloom. Why do all these films need to reach as many people as possible? Because Disney taught us only superhero films which are mass-appeal are successful?

Imagine if the comic book market allowed itself to be just the Big Two, only superhero related (ignore that silly The Walking Dead thing and other independent drivel), and that is all we know. Amen it grew to something more far-reaching.

This appears to be a very ballsy move on WB's part to tap into a market that is under-served. Unlike the typical superhero movies which are 55%-60% Male, 40%-45% Female. Where WB dropped the ball in having faith in Joker earlier on and relying on third-party funding, now it jumped in full-risk and we are going to already claim doom-and-gloom because it is standing behind a female-focused R-rated film?

Edited by Bosco685

17 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And then The Hollywood Repor

That's the mindset that is leading to the assumption of doom and gloom. Why do all these films need to reach as many people as possible? Because Disney taught us only superhero films which are mass-appeal are successful?

Imagine if the comic book market allowed itself to be just the Big Two, only superhero related (ignore that silly The Walking Dead thing and other independent drivel), and that is all we know. Amen it grew to something more far-reaching.

This appears to be a very ballsy move on WB's part to tap into a market that is under-served. Unlike the typical superhero movies which are 55%-60% Male, 40%-45% Female. Where WB dropped the ball in having faith in Joker earlier on and relying on third-party funding, now it jumped in full-risk and we are going to already claim doom-and-gloom because it is standing behind a female-focused R-rated film?

No let them try for the market it is a fair play, but the market needs to be nurtured or pushed harder, or companies have not seemed to find the best way to appeal to that market yet.  

WW and Captian Marvel were big hits, they both had their girl power elements but still played well with a broad audience.   Most other targeted female action flicks have run into a ton of resistance and not faired well.  Executives need to start thinking seriously about what has worked vs. not worked and why.  And by not fairing well those films have not done well with a large audience as well as performing poorly with the targeted audience.  Leads me to think....

1. They are just not good movies.

2. They are failing to appeal to their targeted audience despite there efforts.

3. Maybe their is a societal resistance.  I kinda doubt this one (see WW, CM, Aliens films, etc.), I could be wrong however.

4. Maybe the sizable audience they think is there is not, or is just not one that spends money.

1 minute ago, drotto said:

No let them try for the market it is a fair play, but the market needs to be nurtured or pushed harder, or companies have not seemed to find the best way to appeal to that market yet.  

WW and Captian Marvel were big hits, they both had their girl power elements but still played well with a broad audience.   Most other targeted female action flicks have run into a ton of resistance and not faired well.  Executives need to start thinking seriously about what has worked vs. not worked and why.  And by not fairing well those films have not done well with a large audience as well as performing poorly with the targeted audience.  Leads me to think....

1. They are just not good movies.

2. They are failing to appeal to their targeted audience despite there efforts.

3. Maybe their is a societal resistance.  I kinda doubt this one (see WW, CM, Aliens films, etc.), I could be wrong however.

4. Maybe the sizable audience they think is there is not, or is just not one that spends money.

You are comparing to Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, which were mass-appeal focused. So you may be convincing yourself all of these films must be mass-appeal or bust. I'm not sure if that is a robust approach to reach every market you can, within reason.

Let's follow up after the weekend and see where this lands. Although it is kicking off slow but steady, will it meet that $45M estimate WB had put out?

Box Office: 'Birds of Prey' Flying Lower Than Expected

Heading into the weekend, the Margot Robbie-led DC movie had eyed a $50 million opening (Warner Bros. was more conservative in projecting $45 million).

Overseas, the year's first superhero pic has earned $7.5 million since opening midweek. In parts of Asia, including South Korea, the film is being impacted by fears over the coronavirus.

In North America, the R-rated pic is on course to earn roughly $13 million on Friday, including $4 million in Thursday previews.

While Birds of Prey's preview gross came in far under other recent R-rated superhero movies — like 2016's Deadpool, which earned $12.7 million is previews, and Joker ($13.3 million) — ticket sales were on par with the studio's female-fronted Ocean's 8.

Looks like they are comparing it to Ocean's 8 as another female-led action film. A low-budget, semi-successful film that did 4.25X production budget.

Oceans_Eight.PNG.254f8714ca2a84293b3dcfce903b883f.PNG

11 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

:news:

Untitled-tank.jpg

maybe but WB could be up for the Elie Wiesel Foundation Humanitarian Award for taking this bold leap to promote female empowerment, the pursuit of a buck was an afterthought

Humanitarian Award

The Humanitarian award was created to recognize outstanding individuals who dedicate their time to fighting indifference, intolerance and injustice and whose accomplishments are consistent with the goals of the Foundation.

25 minutes ago, paperheart said:

maybe but WB could be up for the Elie Wiesel Foundation Humanitarian Award for taking this bold leap to promote female empowerment, the pursuit of a buck was an afterthought

Humanitarian Award

The Humanitarian award was created to recognize outstanding individuals who dedicate their time to fighting indifference, intolerance and injustice and whose accomplishments are consistent with the goals of the Foundation.

:roflmao:

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

This weekend is when a lot of folks are trying to catch up on their Best Picture movie watching before the Oscars on Sunday night. Not sure this is a great time to open your movie.

A voice of reason??!! 

emotion04.gif.9e7b60c7eb48cc808520f9afd00d6311.gif

:baiting:

42 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

This weekend is when a lot of folks are trying to catch up on their Best Picture movie watching before the Oscars on Sunday night. Not sure this is a great time to open your movie.

so, WB execs don't have calendars? :golfclap: