• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

It's kind of fun to watch every opinion or concern expressed about this movie balanced by an opposing one -- it's like a ping-pong match!

I'm much more interested in seeing the final full weekend numbers to figure out how it's doing overall monetarily...it's a bit draining to watch every day's worth of information dissected to death. 

Regarding the movie itself, I read some of the reviews and found most of them balanced and generally positive -- there's some good action, a strong central performance from MR, and some colorful narrative chaos that befits the character.  I thought the scenes they promoted revealed a weak -script, however, and I am leery of any movie that uses extensive voice-over to push the story along.  But I look forward to hearing others' reactions as they see it....I may try to catch it next week.

We were out last night finishing up dinner and at about 9:15 we were like what time is BOP playing at the local theatre.  Turns out the next show is at 9:45, perfect.  Got there at 9:37 hoping they had tickets available, well to my shock and surprise only four seats had been sold to this showing and it’s one of the biggest theatres in the cineplex.  I commented and the guy behind the cash register  said that sales have been awful, yesterday and today.

I had no idea what it was rated but was definitely not expecting the 50-100 eff bombs that were dropped.  Not that it’s offensive to me but took some getting used to.  Anyways it’s probably the silliest/worst movie I have ever seen, and I’ve seen Attack of the Clones (although Obi Wan was way better in that than whatever he was trying to do in this).

This one might be a disaster for the WB.

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I can’t help but think movies opening on Academy Awards weekend are a better comparison. That has to eat in to an R-rated movie’s opening totals when a lot of theater going adults are scrambling to go see 1917 or Little Women or renting Joker on Saturday night.

Last year, How to Ride Your Dragon 2 opened on Oscar weekend to decent results but that was  a movie aimed at families.

39 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

That’d be half of Shazam’s WW opening weekend. Oof! Maybe WB should rename the movie “Harley Quinn on a Wing and a Preyer.”

I think they may want to have you join the WB Marketing Department. 

:baiting:

For all the excitement those that saw this film demonstrated, we'll see how they drive (or not) people attending.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Umm...my dude's forgetting about Fantasy Island next week.

Even if Sonic bombs as hard as Birds of Prey did this week (fairly likely, actually), what's the best-case scenario here?

A crazy low 29% drop to a $25 million second weekend and a third-place finish? 

When the headlines are reading "Worst DC Opening Since Jonah Hex," you're pretty much screwed.

I think an audience for this movie and this type of movie does exist, it is just proving to be small.  It is all and good to make a smaller budget movie (although reported 90 million is somewhat more middle budget), but even at that price you are still looking at being 200 to 250 till you really start to make a profit.

There has also been some back and forth here stating you can't compair this film to WW or CM, as those were always targeted to be larger budget more mass market films, and maybe that is fair. Unfortunately, for this film it is seen as part of the DCEU, Harely is supposed to be a mass market DC character, and it is looking to be the weakest performer. The media seems to be struggling to find a comparable film, maybe there is not one.

So if the trend continues where does the fault lie?