• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's about as charitable a post as possible, given that $33.3 million is:

- $20 million below industry expectations

- $20 million below Shazam!'s opening

- Birds of Prey opened on 1,100+ more screens than did John Wick 2.

How was it at the theater you went to, though?

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Exactly what Deadline is now stating, along with the R-rating cutting out the young teenage girl fanatical over Harley Quinn.

• Audience ended up being 53% men (no wonder B+ CinemaScore)
  • Under 18 crowd gave it A- but they are the excluded crowd (R-rating)
  • Delayed ticket sales killed momentum
  • Social media presence is primarily Margot Robbie (21.3M followers)
  • Birds of Prey brand distracts from primary - Harley Quinn

Again, I'm not going to be shocked if it comes out many posting they saw the film and loved it so much are torrenting the film. Especially those restricted due to their age.

I mean it’s not exactly rocket science. People don’t want to go to movies where they are told they are the “enemy”. It’s understandable. The problem with “woke” films and media is that they are designed for a type of zero sum game where “One audience segment is heroic and honorable, the other is unworthy of respect”.  When you put a large portion of your potential buying public into the “unworthy of respect” basket, you can’t be shocked when they don’t show up to hand you their money. It puts a major headwind against the film making as much money as possible.

By all accounts this film didn’t really even do that, few parting jokes but overall it wasn’t a “smash the patriarchy”   vehicle but it was in part marketed as such from its supporters and the studio. A lot of men (and women) who don’t like the “us versus them” tactic didn’t want to engage or support that so the movies numbers suffered. It happened to Terminator DF, Ghostbusters, Charlie’s Angels, and many other films like it.

Want to see how to do an “empowered heroine” big budget movie right (when it’s not being solely floated by a major highly successful franchise)? Check out WonderWoman. WW just makes you happy to watch, everyone watching the film gets to feel engaged and respected. You want her to succeed and you find yourself rooting for her. Her relationship with Steve felt fun and dynamic. You want to make money? Create that vibe for your audience from marketing, social media messaging, to the film itself.

Anyway, this keeps happening and routinely there is this great effort to tie its failures to some random fluke “one-off” event or fact that is rationalized into some great and grand reason. “It’s not that people are rejecting this type of messaging! No it’s because of this one unique factor that somehow no one saw coming until the film bombed, which we all clearly see now a day later!!”

You want as large an audience as possible, don’t brand your messaging about how awful a large portion of them are. Even just implying this movie was about that severely crippled if not killed this movie. 

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's about as charitable a post as possible, given that $33.3 million is:

- $20 million below industry expectations

- $20 million below Shazam!'s opening

- Birds of Prey opened on 1,100+ more screens than did John Wick 2.

Additionally John Wick 2's opening basically doubled the opening of John Wick 1 ($14 million domestic).  

Birds of Prey's opening is about a 1/4 of Suicide Squad ($133 million domestic).

Just got out of it since my wife had to see it.  I had rock bottom expectations and it beat them . . but just barely. I found it pretty stupid, campy like a 90s super hero flick mixed with bad kung fu vibe.  I expected a D- flick and it was a solid D.  You could pick 5 random movies on Netflix and I’d wager all of them would be better then this turd.

Edited by 1Cool

7 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Who has seen it and what did you think?

Also, good time but HQ keys?

I saw it yesterday and it was just....well.....barely ok..I guess.  Felt a little disjointed to me.  I knew it was going to be campy but there was too much campiness and stupid in some scenes for me anyway.  
Some of the fight scenes were ok but the movie as a whole just didn't mesh and flow like it should have. 
I would give it a C-/C and that's about it.  When the movie ended the "few" people (Yes that's right - not many in the theatre) had that look like "We'll that's that, now let's grab something to eat look".  
This movie should have been a lot better.  It just wasn't.  

Just saw it. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Margot was great. Sadly after this we probably won’t see her much as Harley. She’s too good an actress for this. I thought Black Canary was good too. Huntress was so so.

Story didn’t grab your heart at any point which is one of the many reasons it failed. Even with the R rating and cursing, it wasn’t very humorous. Maybe a few chuckle moments but no big punch lines. Villain was boring with very little depth. Hate to say it but overall was just as bad as Suicide Squad.

Edited by AnkurJ

19 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Want to see how to do an “empowered heroine” big budget movie right (when it’s not being solely floated by a major highly successful franchise)? Check out Wonder Woman. WW just makes you happy to watch, everyone watching the film gets to feel engaged and respected. You want her to succeed and you find yourself rooting for her. Her relationship with Steve felt fun and dynamic. You want to make money? Create that vibe for your audience from marketing, social media messaging, to the film itself.

Anyway, this keeps happening and routinely there is this great effort to tie its failures to some random fluke “one-off” event or fact that is rationalized into some great and grand reason. “It’s not that people are rejecting this type of messaging! No it’s because of this one unique factor that somehow no one saw coming until the film bombed, which we all clearly see now a day later!!”

You want as large an audience as possible, don’t brand your messaging about how awful a large portion of them are. Even just implying this movie was about that severely crippled if not killed this movie. 

Such a fantastic movie. It really is too bad that the conclusion with Ares is just a mess of CGI. Drags down the overall excellence of the film.

To be fair I asked my wife what she thought of the movie.  She gave it a C since she liked the visual aspect of the movie and the jumping back and forth time line was cool to her.  I have been bashing the previews for this movie for months so I may be jaded but she has been excited to see it for awhile and even she thought it was meh at best.  Black Mask was sooo terrible I'd sell his appearances just out of anger.  I've not seen a more disappointing character since the Mandarin in Iron Man. 

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

To be fair I asked my wife what she thought of the movie.  She gave it a C since she liked the visual aspect of the movie and the jumping back and forth time line was cool to her.  I have been bashing the previews for this movie for months so I may be jaded but she has been excited to see it for awhile and even she thought it was meh at best.  Black Mask was sooo terrible I'd sell his appearances just out of anger.  I've not seen a more disappointing character since the Mandarin in Iron Man. 

You should, too. Really low. Show them who's the boss!

Spoiler

:takeit:

Just now, Bosco685 said:

You should, too. Really low. Show them who's the boss!

Hide contents

:takeit:

I don't think I have one of his early appearances.  Not that I wouldn't have bought them for cheap but they never seem to pop up for a discount.  Now I'm glad:banana: