• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That simply isn't true.

Man of Steel - Excellent
BvS - Utter Mess but decent turn by Batfleck and the best Batman fight scene of all time.
Wonder Woman - Very good, weak 3rd act.
Suicide Squad - One of the worst films I've ever sat through.
Justice League - Avengers light, sort of enjoyable.
Aquaman - Awful.
Shazam - Highly enjoyable.

I would agree that the wider DCEU has produced some utter turds and is a mess but there are 3 films in there that I would rather watch than most of the mediocre MCU offerings.

Just now, bane said:

Man of Steel - Excellent
BvS - Utter Mess but decent turn by Batfleck and the best Batman fight scene of all time.
Wonder Woman - Very good, weak 3rd act.
Suicide Squad - One of the worst films I've ever sat through.
Justice League - Avengers light, sort of enjoyable.
Aquaman - Awful.
Shazam - Highly enjoyable.

I would agree that the wider DCEU has produced some utter turds and is a mess but there are 3 films in there that I would rather watch than most of the mediocre MCU offerings.

Hard to keep track of who has seen it - so I must ask - did you see the Ultimate Cut? Great movie IMO.

We disagree on Aquaman, for sure.

I'd rather watch Man of Steel and the BvS UE than most MCU films.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Hard to keep track of who has seen it - so I must ask - did you see the Ultimate Cut? Great movie IMO.

We disagree on Aquaman, for sure.

I'd rather watch Man of Steel and the BvS UE than most MCU films.

Cinema cut once, Ultimate Cut, twice. The story makes more sense of course but even then it never left me desiring to ever see it again. Snyder tried too hard to bring DKR and Death of Superman together and failed miserably, with a Lex Luthor who was worse than Gene Hackman which I didn't think was possible!

Just now, bane said:

Cinema cut once, Ultimate Cut, twice. The story makes more sense of course but even then it never left me desiring to ever see it again. Snyder tried too hard to bring DKR and Death of Superman together and failed miserably, with a Lex Luthor who was worse than Gene Hackman which I didn't think was possible!

Alexander Luthor. :pullhair:

IMO it worked. I'm a big fan of both TDKR and DoS, though. Could both stories have been done better? Sure! In the same cinematic universe? I don't think so. I think it only makes sense to do TDKR prior to Justice League, and I don't think you can do DoS after JL when you're drawing inspiration from the New 52. The entire concept of BvS is complicated.

Idk. I love it. I understand opposing views when they're seemingly thought-out (which I think you have done).

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:07 PM, Bosco685 said:

Heard yesterday that this had done so poorly that they were actually renaming it Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey. Wish DC could get their act together. While some obviously enjoyed it, they should try to make a movie which will appeal to a much wider audience. Still hopeful for the new Wonder Woman movie. Thought they had done Superman and Wonder Woman right. New Batman movie trailer looks terrible. Can't believe we are going back to the armored Batman...….

3 minutes ago, bane said:

Gene Hackman,in that movie, always reminded me of a scheming ne'er-do-well uncle who shows up at the house only at Christmas and then only to borrow money he won't repay.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Alexander Luthor. :pullhair:

IMO it worked. I'm a big fan of both TDKR and DoS, though. Could both stories have been done better? Sure! In the same cinematic universe? I don't think so. I think it only makes sense to do TDKR prior to Justice League, and I don't think you can do DoS after JL when you're drawing inspiration from the New 52. The entire concept of BvS is complicated.

Idk. I love it. I understand opposing views when they're seemingly thought-out (which I think you have done).

Lex or Alexander.... STILL A TERRIBLE LUTHOR!

I think the concept from Snyder was ambitious and I will give him that, I am a big fan of Watchmen and I can see where he was trying to go. But, for me, it just didn't work.

How about not doing TDKR or DoS at all.... 

3 hours ago, Dale Roberts said:

Heard yesterday that this had done so poorly that they were actually renaming it Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey. Wish DC could get their act together. While some obviously enjoyed it, they should try to make a movie which will appeal to a much wider audience. Still hopeful for the new Wonder Woman movie. Thought they had done Superman and Wonder Woman right. New Batman movie trailer looks terrible. Can't believe we are going back to the armored Batman...….

Although this was a risk taken too soon after the pain points of over-reaction to Batman v Superman and then the excessively poor decisions associated with Josstice League, is DC not getting its act together?

DC_MCU_BO200214a.thumb.PNG.491094ff9b2cf7eeef70ba238d11688d.PNG

Shazam was just horrible release planning. Yet the response to it was so strong, even with that it ended up profitable and now leading to a sequel (Shazam 2) and a spin-off (Black Adam). And with the bigger risk taken with Joker that more than a few folks on here instantly guaranteed was prepared to fail...

I wouldn't over-react to the noise the sky is falling. Birds of Prey is going to be a kick between the legs for the studio jumping ahead too quickly to take risks. Meanwhile, the road ahead is quite diverse and interesting.

DCEU_schedule.PNG.5efa81beebb93eaf85d5767feae7eb07.PNG

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It’s easy. Everything about the first Suicide Squad movie was bad and it generated zero excitement for any spinoff and resulted in a coming reboot. The DCEU is also a mess, so with the exception of Wonder Woman and maybe maybe Aquaman, not a lot of folks care.

You truly are wrapped in a cloak of ignorance blinded by studio bias. Even with that statement the other day Aquaman made 50% of its money from China (without even checking facts), you are just restating claims from folks that want an MCU-only cinema experience.

Why else would Joker explode, Shazam land a sequel and Black Adam be moving forward if nobody cares? Can you knock that ignorance off, please? It really is disturbing.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You truly are wrapped in a cloak of ignorance blinded by studio bias. Even with that statement the other day Aquaman made 50% of its money from China (without even checking facts), you are just restating claims from folks that want an MCU-only cinema experience.

Why else would Joker explode, Shazam land a sequel and Black Adam be moving forward if nobody cares? Can you knock that ignorance off, please? It really is disturbing.

I'm talking about DC's movie continuity right now and thus general audience investment in that story continuity. You can't honestly tell me it's not a mess and that the current DC movie continuity has successfully captured the imagination of the world. With the exception of Wonder Woman and Aquaman to a degree, DC has failed to make the world wide splash it's clearly desired. Superman is MIA in the movies now with Cavill out. Batman is being rebooted again with Affleck out. The big event movie Justice League crashed and burned. Suicide Squad is being rebooted. Shazam didn't really blow up the box office though people generally liked it. Birds of Prey is bombing.

Joker has nothing to do with the current DC continuity but its success makes regular continuity even more of  a mess.

Yet it somehow seems fitting to me because story continuity in DC Comics has also always seemed like a mess to me, too.

Warner Bros’ Birds of Prey will take second place with a four-day total of $18.9M in Weekend 2, includidng (sic) a three-day of $15.3M (-54%) off a second Friday of $5.9M. Its 11-day total is heading toward $61M.

If this estimate holds (although it seems low based on John Wick 2 comp), will make $100MM US a steep hill to climb.

Edited by paperheart

59 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm talking about DC's movie continuity right now and thus general audience investment in that story continuity. You can't honestly tell me it's not a mess and that the current DC movie continuity has successfully captured the imagination of the world. With the exception of Wonder Woman and Aquaman to a degree, DC has failed to make the world wide splash it's clearly desired. Superman is MIA in the movies now with Cavill out. Batman is being rebooted again with Affleck out. The big event movie Justice League crashed and burned. Suicide Squad is being rebooted. Shazam didn't really blow up the box office though people generally liked it. Birds of Prey is bombing.

Joker has nothing to do with the current DC continuity but its success makes regular continuity even more of  a mess.

Yet it somehow seems fitting to me because story continuity in DC Comics has also always seemed like a mess to me, too.

No, you were talking about the DC Films in general, and that nobody had any interest in them. Yet no matter what you are presented (box office results, audience scores, home theater sales), you will chant the same theme.

But all that does is cloud the waters from what the real intent is: MCU vs DC. To include posting how Shazam had a racial theme against Asians, how Aquaman made most of its money from China ( (: ), or even how Joker was trash.

That's your attempt at celebrating comic book films and TV shows? Posting ignorance like that? And for all your beloved Captain Marvel box office success, if you want to compare satisfaction afterwards look at the difference to the under-performer, Shazam.

CM_vs_Shazam.PNG.69ec841209da69b4d3573e84b19f96ee.PNG

More people spent money to see Captain Marvel. But afterwards, they were less satisfied. Which is partly why the MCU had to change out the directors. So don't kid yourself (or others). You'd be better off enjoying what you like, and let other people enjoy what they like. And with many of us, we have sense enough to enjoy them all when the films connect with our expectations. No nasty competition necessary. Including quoting incorrect box office figures to boost your ego.

44 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Warner Bros’ Birds of Prey will take second place with a four-day total of $18.9M in Weekend 2, includidng (sic) a three-day of $15.3M (-54%) off a second Friday of $5.9M. Its 11-day total is heading toward $61M.

If this estimate holds (although it seems low based on John Wick 2 comp), will make $100MM US a steep hill to climb.

Looks like the international box office tally just came in.

DC_MCU_BO200214b.thumb.PNG.daecc5782bc4262b3098bea295dd7a5a.PNG

1.8X production budget right before the second weekend's contributions.

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Looks like the international box office tally just came in.

DC_MCU_BO200214b.thumb.PNG.daecc5782bc4262b3098bea295dd7a5a.PNG

1.8X production budget right before the second weekend's contributions.

those int'l #'s aren't right: France $26.1MM, Germany $16MM, Taiwan $15.6MM, Australia $25.8MM - those are all 10x opening weekend