• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, paperheart said:

those int'l #'s aren't right: France $26.1MM, Germany $16MM, Taiwan $15.6MM, Australia $25.8MM - those are all 10x opening weekend

So you are saying Box Office Mojo may have a glitch in its international update?

Box Office Mojo's international update as of today.

BOM_BOP01.PNG.cf363bf20055225a91130ecebd95b8af.PNG

And it can't be due to a late release from other international countries. Only Japan remains in March.

BOP_Schedule.PNG.39cc547ca49290f565acb7d957d7dc23.PNG

So either certain countries experienced a jump in attendance, or BOM had an error with today's update.

11 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It’s easy. Everything about the first Suicide Squad movie was bad and it generated zero excitement for any spinoff and resulted in a coming reboot. The DCEU is also a mess, so with the exception of Wonder Woman and maybe maybe Aquaman, not a lot of folks care. Harley Quinn was the best thing in that first movie but that’s not saying much. 

But as I said in my little review post, Margot Robbie’s Harley is IMO awesome in Birds of Prey. She plays the role with more energy, expression, and abandon here. She’s not oversexualized like in SS ie bending over for the camera all the time. She’s fun to watch in BoP and it’s too bad the movie wasn’t 100% Harley. I would have liked to see Quinn really lose it in a scary way but the movie didnt go there, maybe because she was playing big sister to pickpocket Cassie.

Birds of Prey was more fun and worked better than Suicide Squad but too bad most folks won’t find that out.

I agree.

Suicide Squad was terrible, and that has an effect on the next movie without a doubt and is partially to blame for the poor results so far. I think the name of the film was awful ( way to long ).

I also agree that in Birds of Prey Harley isn't over-sexualized and I thought Robbie did a great job.

Birds of Prey is far better than Suicide Squad ( but that isn't hard to do )

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

No, you were talking about the DC Films in general, and that nobody had any interest in them. Yet no matter what you are presented (box office results, audience scores, home theater sales), you will chant the same theme.

But all that does is cloud the waters from what the real intent is: MCU vs DC. To include posting how Shazam had a racial theme against Asians, how Aquaman made most of its money from China ( (: ), or even how Joker was trash.

That's your attempt at celebrating comic book films and TV shows? Posting ignorance like that? And for all your beloved Captain Marvel box office success, if you want to compare satisfaction afterwards look at the difference to the under-performer, Shazam.

CM_vs_Shazam.PNG.69ec841209da69b4d3573e84b19f96ee.PNG

More people spent money to see Captain Marvel. But afterwards, they were less satisfied. Which is partly why the MCU had to change out the directors. So don't kid yourself (or others). You'd be better off enjoying what you like, and let other people enjoy what they like. And with many of us, we have sense enough to enjoy them all when the films connect with our expectations. No nasty competition necessary. Including quoting incorrect box office figures to boost your ego.

The DCEU is DC’s attempt at movie story continuity, so yes, that’s what I was talking about. And because DC has failed to captivate general audiences in their early attempts at an expanded universe (with aforementioned exceptions), their continuity is a mess that I’m not sure they can recover from. 
And yes, I ignore troll-bombed charts regarding the excellent Captain Marvel movie that has 26,000 “I hate Captain Marvel” trolls giving the movie a 1 rating.

7 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The DCEU is DC’s attempt at movie story continuity, so yes, that’s what I was talking about. And because DC has failed to captivate general audiences in their early attempts at an expanded universe (with aforementioned exceptions), their continuity is a mess that I’m not sure they can recover from. 
And yes, I ignore troll-bombed charts regarding the excellent Captain Marvel movie that has 26,000 “I hate Captain Marvel” trolls giving the movie a 1 rating.

I guess it is better to use one of those sites where they report Aquaman made 50% of its box office from China. You know - MCU_BIASED.com as a credible site.

:nyah:

I think one of the reasons that this movie is a box office disappointment is no Joker. I don't know how popular Harley is with general audiences without "Mister J". Even the crummy.Suicide Squad made over 300 million mainly(in my opinion) because the Joker features heavily in the trailers. I don't think anyone can doubt at this point that the Joker is more popular than many of the superhero characters. Every movie with the character from 1989 to 2019 have been box office smashes. Harley needs Joker(but please, not Jared Leto!).

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I think one of the reasons that this movie is a box office disappointment is no Joker. I don't know how popular Harley is with general audiences without "Mister J". Even the crummy.Suicide Squad made over 300 million mainly(in my opinion) because the Joker features heavily in the trailers. I don't think anyone can doubt at this point that the Joker is more popular than many of the superhero characters. Every movie with the character from 1989 to 2019 have been box office smashes. Harley needs Joker(but please, not Jared Leto!).

You’re probably right. 

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Gene Hackman was a bad Lex Luthor? Blasphemy! Best live action version of the character by far(honorable mention to Lyle Talbot in Atom Man vs. Superman).

superman-1978-gene-hackman-lex-luthor-60

So true. In fact, I’d say he’s one of the best comic book movie villains ever.
If there was a Mount Rushmore of comic book movie villains, it would have to be Gene Hackman’s Lex Luthor, Jack Nicholson’s Joker(was a toss up with Ledger, but have to go with Jack, he was born to play the character), Ian McKellen’s Magneto, and Tom Hiddleston’s Loki (Loki over Thanos because former helped kickoff the MCU cultural takeover and wasn’t CGI).

Edited by @therealsilvermane

What is interesting is with the new Rotten Tomatoes feature where you can distinguish verified vs non-verified user votes, it would appear 8,374 non-verified users attempted to vote the film down.

BOP_RT01.PNG.5d1f5fb824e412a63577a5fc930e2142.PNG

That's how much people want to hate on these films, at times mindlessly.

‘Birds Of Prey’ Does Not Erase DC Films’ Success With ‘Joker,’ ‘Aquaman’ And ‘Wonder Woman’

DC Films should not react to the failure of Birds Of Prey by retreating to the alleged safety of Batman and Superman.

Birds of Prey has ended its first weekend with $42.163 million in domestic earnings and (presumably) over/under $100 million worldwide. That’s with a $1.785 million Thursday gross, just 2% below its $1.826 million Wednesday gross. That’s the first bit of good news we’ve seen for this DC Films title. The $79 million global opening weekend is absolutely a disappointment, but the film’s $82 million budget means it’s not quite over yet. Meanwhile, Matt Reeves stole James Bond’s thunder yesterday with a quick look at Robert Pattinson’s Batman less than an hour before the debut of Billie Eilish’s new 007 theme song. And today marks the arrival of this month’s Entertainment Weekly features a splashy cover story all about Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 1984. Point being, DC Films is probably going to be okay.

The hope is that Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey (as it’s now being called on theater websites and theater marquees) will recover from a slow start and leg out closer to The LEGO Batman Movie (-39% for a $20 million Fri-Mon weekend and $27 million Fri-Mon frame) than Fifty Shades Darker (-56% for a $14.5 million weekend and $16.2 million holiday frame). Splitting the difference would be John Wick 2 (-46% for an $18 million weekend and $21 million Fri-Mon frame). But even if Birds of Prey doesn’t recover, it’s still a prime example of what DC Films should be doing, both artistically and (that pesky R-rating aside) commercially. The last thing WB and Walter Hamada should do is look at this performance and retreat to the alleged safety of Superman and Batman.

DC Films came into its own when it broke free of the need to rely on Superman and Batman as proverbial crutches. Hiring Chris Nolan to produce a Zack Snyder-directed Superman movie structured like a mix between Batman Begins and Iron Man looked like the smart play, but it earned mixed reviews, indifferent audience interest and “just” $291 million (from a sky-high $128 million debut weekend) and $668 million worldwide. Batman v Superman looked like a fail safe plan to jump start a cinematic universe, but it earned miserable reviews, terrible legs and “just” $330 million domestic and $873 million worldwide from a $424 million global cume. Hiring Joss Whedon to “fix” Zack Snyder’s Justice League to make it more like The Avengers backfired when “Diet Avengers” earned “just” $229 million domestic and $659 million worldwide.

So, what worked? Giving Patty Jenkins $150 million to make a Wonder Woman movie worked out swell. It also debunked decades of conventional wisdom about female-driven superhero movies. It earned rave reviews and legged out to $412.5 million domestic from a $103.5 million opening weekend; still the leggiest “opened on a Friday” $100 million-plus opener ever and earned $821 million worldwide. And as bad (artistically speaking) as David Ayer’s clearly compromised Suicide Squad turned out, the core pitch of Will Smith’s Deadshot and Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn leading a bunch of super villains in a Dirty Dozen-type movie (with cameos from Jared Leto’s Joker and Ben Affleck’s Batman) was a winning idea. The film opened with $133 million in August of 2016 and legged out to $325 million while earning $745 million worldwide without China. Audiences showed up.

16 hours ago, paperheart said:

Warner Bros’ Birds of Prey will take second place with a four-day total of $18.9M in Weekend 2, includidng (sic) a three-day of $15.3M (-54%) off a second Friday of $5.9M. Its 11-day total is heading toward $61M.

If this estimate holds (although it seems low based on John Wick 2 comp), will make $100MM US a steep hill to climb.

$6.3MM Friday, 4 day must be $20MM+; $100MM+ US still in play

Edited by paperheart

5 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$6.3MM Friday, 4 day must be $20MM+; $100MM+ US still in play

Perhaps good word of mouth and no hyped February movies other than Sonic will give BoP life sustaining legs. It’s not a bad movie, way better than awful Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn is quite awesome in it.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I had no plans to rush in to see this film. But now after all the encouragement to hate on this film, time to give this a go for myself.

I hope you enjoy it :) 

It's decent, I thought it was fun! Somewhat lol