• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

A family-friendly film compared to an R-rated film? Yeah. You have to be the film expert. Nailed it!

duh01.png.d01c6f263b460802d22d4ca7213a2358.png

Now that you have seen it, how much better would BOP have done if they went for the PG13 and targeted tween and teen girls harder?  Just you oppinion.

25 minutes ago, drotto said:

Now that you have seen it, how much better would BOP have done if they went for the PG13 and targeted tween and teen girls harder?  Just you oppinion.

I think that R-Rating hurt the film the most for early box office success. Though not every country is rating this film at that level (some are rating it for 15 or older). So this is where the international market will probably be the biggest help.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

Back from seeing the first showing of Birds of Prey at a  2-D showing (12:40 PM).

Total Audience: 28 people, though more male than female. Including what appeared to be 6 teenage girls that came in together.

Overall: 7.5/10

Biggest Mistake: R-rating, as those teenage girls were the loudest ones in the audience giggling out loud. Though with certain scenes (Harley bouncing a guy's head off a steering wheel while kicking another guy) got audience reactions.

The Good:

• This was definitely set up as a female team buddy film that took time to line up all the players together which once they do join up is jammed with action
  • Throughout the film each character is given a chance to demonstrate their skills and their motivations for liking or disliking certain characters
  • Huntress from the beginning is dropped in from childhood to the final vengeance-bringer she is recognized to be; but even early on she is drawing blood (not sure what this 'Not til much later' thing is)
  • Diana Lance is definitely a strong player throughout the film, though not to full strength until later in the film
  • Roman Sionis and Victor Zsasz were perfect street-level threats that ate up any screen time they were given, they were so sinister and engaging together; Black Mask when he goes full Big Bad is extremely well fitting
  • The women in this film kick a lot of butt throughout the film in believable ways if you take the time to watch them use their momentum to throw men larger than them, including Huntress, Black Canary, Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya
  • Overall, the story comes together to a wild ending loaded with action (so no weak Act III here - though a decision of how it ended was a letdown for the future)
  • Joker is referenced so many times in this film as a cartoon, a drawing and by name you feel like he is in the film; though it would have been really cool to have him appear like in the animated series
  • The soundtrack is extremely well placed throughout and complemented the scenes quite nicely in many spots
  • This was definitely the wild misadventures of Harley Quinn throughout, so they were very true to the character (and her supporting cast for the most part)
  • Someone noted this felt like Deadpool 2 with some of the theme - I agree, and thought that would have been perfect for the teenage audience this was intended for as a 'MY HERO' message
  • Bruce actually got a lot of 'awwww' from a portion of the audience, so as a mascot he definitely worked more than I expected
  • Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Huntress) and Jurnee Smollett-Bell (Black Canary) need to figure out how to team up, as they were fantastic together
  • Oh, and the diamond
  Reveal hidden contents

The backstory made perfect sense, and being associated with Huntress was a solid connection; no stupid male genitalia thing as was 'leaked'

The Bad:

• I can't say enough how big WB missed its audience here, as listening to those girls laugh out loud at certain scenes I wasn't completely connecting way demonstrates who this was more for
  • The flashback scenes at times can throw you off if you don't take a moment to understand what is going on (but just certain scenes)
  • One decision made, to me, was a huge mistake:
  Reveal hidden contents

WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING KILLING OFF BLACK MASK AND VICTOR ZSASZ LIKE THAT???!!! These actors owned those roles so wonderfully, and you throw them away?? Especially once Black Mask when he suits up.

• The end result leads to the title, so I think this should have been called something else and the sequel (if there will be one) would have been 'Birds of Prey'
  • With that, WB messed up with the title and messaging here and deserves the kick to the nuts it is experiencing for right now (hopefully a lesson will be learned)

Would I see it again: Although this is not my type film, if someone wanted me to go with them I would see it again without a fight; but it wouldn't be top of my Digital HD purchase list (I am not the audience for this film). Though again it was Huntress and Black Canary I was really impressed with, along with Black Mask (Mister Intensity).

Letting Birds of Prey go out as an R-rated movie may have been a valid artistic choice, but it cut out younger fans, younger superhero moviegoers and their parents who didn’t feel like springing for a babysitter. It put Birds of Prey in the same box of R-rated female-led actioners as Resident Evil, Underworld, Lucy, Atomic Blonde and The Rhythm Section instead of making it stand out (like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel) as a female-led action spectacular that kids could actually see in theaters. WB arguably overestimated the appeal of Harley Quinn for audiences old enough to see an R-rated movie, while also having the bad luck to open amid a slew of other R-rated films like Bad Boys for Life, 1917, The Gentlemen and The Invisible Man.

Two weeks later, Birds of Prey has earned $142 million worldwide on an $82 million budget, and everyone is arguing over whether it’s a flop or a potentially leggy hit. It’s merely a disappointment. The film is tracking like John Wick: Chapter 2 ($30.4 million opening on the same weekend in 2017, with a 46% second weekend drop for a $61 million 11-day cume) but with a budget closer to John Wick: Chapter 3 ($75 million) than John Wick: Chapter 2 ($40 million). If it follows accordingly, it’ll probably end its run with around $93.5 million domestic (John Wick 2 ended with $92 million domestic). And while it has already earned $83 million overseas, more than JW2’s $79 million overseas total, it’s not going bonkers overseas either.

It has earned 41% of its $143.1 million global cume in North America, on par with Shazam! which earned 38% of its $363 million cume (including $43 million in China, a territory where Suicide Squad did not play) domestically. Think, offhand, around $93.5 million domestic and around $228 million worldwide. If it takes off in Japan (March 20), then it could end closer to $260 million than $220 million. However, even Aquaman earned just $15 million in Japan. $205 million, or 2.5x the $82 million budget (studios get about half the ticket price, and budgets don’t include marketing), would be eventual break even, so it’s not a Terminator: Dark Fate ($266 million on a $200 million budget) or Ghostbusters ($229 million on a $144 million budget)-level flame out.

It doesn’t validate the folks dismissing Birds of Prey for conventionally sexist reasons, but nor does it further the “women-led superhero movies can be huge too” narrative. It’s frustrating because A) it’s a good movie, B) it’s exactly the kind of unconventional offering that DC Films should be producing and C) it’s exactly what the internet claims to want from Hollywood, in a commercially viable DC/Marvel package no less. It’s a female-led ensemble with a diverse cast, of the moment politics and action every bit as rough and spectacular as the boy movies. It’s even written and directed by two women of Asian descent (Bumblebee screenwriter Christina Hodson is half-English, half-Taiwanese and indie director Cathy Yan is from China). And yet, comparatively speaking, we (once again) didn’t show up.

Birds of Prey is not a gigantic flop but nor will it pull a Greatest Showman or My Big Fat Greek Wedding and leg out for months. It’s a good movie with a quickly-building passionate fanbase. It’s well-reviewed and well-liked by those who did show up, so it furthers the “DC Films are good now” narrative. But it also furthers, perhaps disingenuously, the “female superhero movies only excel when they are paired with a cool dude” narrative (Chris Pine in Wonder Woman and Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel). Pretending that the numbers are just fine is no more honest than pretending that it’s a referendum on female-led geek flicks. We lost on this one. We don’t have to like it, but we do have to accept it.

There is the biggest marketing mistake for this film right there.

And that last bold is a shame when a market depends on men to help carry a female-focused production.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

There is the biggest marketing mistake for this film right there.

And that last bold is a shame when a market depends on men to help carry a female-focused production.

Chris Pine is great in WW, but he hardly carries any weight for its success.

Nick Fury happened to be a bright spot in a cloudy toilet.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Chris Pine's Steve Trevor serving as Diana's ambassador to the new world actually did stand out. Including when they fell in love with each other, leading to the events we will see play out in WW84.

That scene in the trailer when Steve appears leading to Diana pulling him in tight conveyed how much she loved/loves him.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Chris Pine's Steve Trevor serving as Diana's ambassador to the new world actually did stand out. Including when they fell in love with each other, leading to the events we will see play out in WW84.

That scene in the trailer when Steve appears leading to Diana pulling him in tight conveyed how much she loved/loves him.

Like I said - he's great, but it's basically all her that makes the movie work. He makes the movie better, for sure.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Like I said - he's great, but it's basically all her that makes the movie work. He makes the movie better, for sure.

I am just hoping WW84 can match the Birds of Prey elaborate sets. At least $100M-$200M in cost, plus $500M in two weeks of marketing for sure.

Birds-of-Prey-Harley-Quinn-Set-Photo-5.jpg.6c43485f397762aa83c042f435fe8af6.jpg

:roflmao:

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm just hoping they #ReleaseTheSnyderCut so I can financially support Worlds of DC movies again.

So you are of the mindset to protest current Worlds of DC films until #ReleaseTheSnyderCut is achieved?

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Chris Pine carries no weight in WW!? He's almost entirely the movie's regular man point of view, the character we identify with as we discover Amazon Island and Princess Diana. He's Diana's entire link to the rest of Earth, her love interest, and kind of saves the day at the end. He also explains how things work to Diana, and has almost every funny moment in the movie. Steve Trevor was half of the heart of the movie. He's so important to Wonder Woman that they're bringing him back from the DEAD for the sequel.

Nick Fury wasn't nearly as important to Carol's journey. He made a good friend and easily got her into high security areas, that's it. Carol made a billion at the box office because everybody wanted to see who this new mysterious Avenger was that Fury was pinning all hopes on to win the day. Young Fury in it was just a gimmick. Carol remained the heart of Captain Marvel.

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Chris Pine carries no weight in WW!? He's almost entirely the movie's regular man point of view, the character we identify with as we discover Amazon Island and Princess Diana. He's Diana's entire link to the rest of Earth, her love interest, and kind of saves the day at the end. He also explains how things work to Diana, and has almost every funny moment in the movie. Steve Trevor was half of the heart of the movie. He's so important to Wonder Woman that they're bringing him back from the DEAD for the sequel.

Nick Fury wasn't nearly as important to Carol's journey. He made a good friend and easily got her into high security areas, that's it. Carol made a billion at the box office because everybody wanted to see who this new mysterious Avenger was that Fury was pinning all hopes on to win the day. Young Fury in it was just a gimmick. Carol remained the heart of Captain Marvel.

I didn't type, that, genius. You literally quoted my post and then misrepresented what I conveyed. Give me a break.

Nick Fury is almost the only reason that Captain Marvel isn't complete hot garbage.

15 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I didn't type, that, genius. You literally quoted my post and then misrepresented what I conveyed. Give me a break.

Nick Fury is almost the only reason that Captain Marvel isn't complete hot garbage.

Yeah, you said Chris Pine hardly carries any weight for WW's success. Almost the same as no weight. Chris Pine was almost entirely the charm of the movie. Gal Gadot was great but her character was nearly a blank slate and needed Chris Pine's Steve to guide her. Diana's action scenes were inspiring awesome etc, but I'd dare say Steve Trevor was the true heart of the movie.

Your hatred for Captain Marvel is duly noted LOL

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah, you said Chris Pine hardly carries any weight for WW's success. Almost the same as no weight. Chris Pine was almost entirely the charm of the movie. Gal Gadot was great but her character was nearly a blank slate and needed Chris Pine's Steve to guide her. Diana's action scenes were great, but I'd dare say Steve Trevor was the true heart of the movie.

Your hatred for Captain Marvel is duly noted LOL

"Hardly" is not the same as "none". Your hyperbole in an attempt to undermine the argument is sad. It's odd that you don't like movies that actually empower women with meaningful messages rather than 'you need to have superpowers to be a hero!'

Your unconditional love for one of the MCU's worst movies is well-documented.

I saw it over the weekend. It's a fun film. The Fight scenes are amazing, and the final battle scene with all the gals doing their thing is fantastic. However, the story kinda meanders up until the 3rd act. LIike Scott Mendelson said in the twitter post above, it's very middle of the road.