• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, D84 said:

Serious question: WB said they lost money on Justice League, and it was a 2.2.  Do you know what's the difference is between the two, since one is considered a bomb?

FYI

Time Warner Beats Q4 Expectations Thanks To ‘Justice League,’ Turner And HBO

Time Warner, whose corporate fate will be known in the coming weeks, reported better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings due to Justice League box office and continued growth at Turner and HBO.

Total revenue grew 9% from the year-ago quarter to $8.6 billion. Operating income increased 13% to $1.9 billion. Justice League, a November release which capped off a record-setting 2017 for the studio, has pulled in $656 million worldwide.

“All three of our operating divisions increased revenue and profits,” he said, “while also investing to capitalize on the growing demand for the most creative and compelling content as well as new ways to deliver it to audiences worldwide.”

Revenue at Warner Bros. increased to $4.05B from $3.87B a year ago. Turner’s went up to $3.12B from $2.84B on the strength of international and better ad revenue due to Major League Baseball playoff broadcasts. HBO revenue hit $1.68B from $1.49B on healthy 29% margins and the company predicted the premium network’s subscription revenue would increase by 11%, in line with its full-year 2017 uptick.

Time Warner shares are up more than 5% year to date, having regained the ground they lost during last fall’s chaos surrounding the lawsuit. They picked up almost 2% on the day to close at $97.

Although I call BS on this as they just mixed in the expenses to offset the losses, WB never said it took a loss on Justice League. It actually noted it as a positive. Most probably factoring in home sales with box office results.

JL_sales.png.9422f5afd8a750964e922e6b9b31abd8.png

:whatthe:

Edited by Bosco685

3 minutes ago, D84 said:

He is a contributor to Forbes as a reporting site. Not Warner Bros.

themoreyouknow.gif.b824185f28ead0b5cf90f627cb050279.gif

:baiting:

Edited by Bosco685

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

He is a contributor to Forbes as a reporting site. Not Warner Bros.

themoreyouknow.gif.b824185f28ead0b5cf90f627cb050279.gif

:baiting:

What you quote was an article by from Deadline by Dade Hayes, who also doesn't work for Warner.

4 minutes ago, D84 said:

What you quote was an article by from Deadline by Dade Hayes, who also doesn't work for Warner.

He actually was quoting the CEO of Warner Bros. Read it. Then come back to me versus posting an article with someone providing their assumptions what took place.

Why do you think Deadline was able to post all those numbers? It was from the actual Warner Bros. leadership team.

Time Warner, whose corporate fate will be known in the coming weeks, reported better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings due to Justice League box office and continued growth at Turner and HBO.

Total revenue grew 9% from the year-ago quarter to $8.6 billion. Operating income increased 13% to $1.9 billion.

Justice League, a November release which capped off a record-setting 2017 for the studio, has pulled in $656 million worldwide.

As it awaits the outcome of the Department of Justice’s lawsuit against AT&T seeking to block its acquisition of Time Warner, the company skipped the customary conference call with Wall Street analysts to discuss the quarterly results. In the earnings press release, CEO Jeff Bewkes touted both the quarterly and the full-year numbers, saying the company had met all of its performance targets.

I made it big enough for you to find.

Edited by Bosco685

29 minutes ago, D84 said:

JL was a massive hit that's why JL2 was fast tracked and JL3 was... oh, wait a sec

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

JL was a massive hit that's why JL2 was fast tracked and JL3 was... oh, wait a sec

:roflmao:

#Slowreader missed the point. @D84 said Warner Bros stated it had taken a loss on Justice League (which it did). WB never stated this officially. It hid this in the overall annual results as a wash.

Time Warner Quarterly Earnings Beat Estimates, All Units Post Lower Profit

Time Warner, the entertainment conglomerate that telecom giant AT&T is looking to acquire for $85.4 billion, on Thursday reported higher-than-expected first-quarter earnings despite profit declines at all its units, namely Warner Bros., Turner and HBO.

First-quarter net income rose from $1.4 billion to $1.6 billion, boosted by a $132 million income tax benefit, compared to a $470 million tax provision in the year-ago period. Time Warner reported adjusted earnings of $2.28 per share, including a 49-cent gain related to the settlement of a U.S. federal tax audit and the retroactive extension of an expired tax law, compared with $1.66 per share in the year-ago period. The Wall Street consensus forecast was for adjusted earnings of around $1.75 per share. Without adjustments in the latest quarter, earnings came to $2.07 per share, up from $1.80.

Time Warner's operating income, meaning income from the performance of the company's business units, dropped 13 percent to $1.8 billion, and adjusted operating Income decreased 8 percent to $2.0 billion "due to declines at all operating divisions," as had been expected.

First-quarter revenue increased 3 percent to $8.0 billion "due to growth at Turner and [HBO], partially offset by a decline at Warner Bros.," the company said.

And why did WB do this?

Time Warner Boosts CEO's Pay 50% to $49 Million

Time Warner Inc. gave Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bewkes a 50 percent pay increase to $49 million, with most of the raise tied to its pending merger with AT&T Inc.

Bewkes, 65, got 332,226 restricted shares valued at $32 million that will vest over five years, according to a regulatory filing Friday. The award came with a performance condition linked to the firm’s 2017 adjusted net income, which was achieved, Time Warner said. The CEO also got a $14.7 million cash bonus and $2 million in salary for 2017. His total compensation the previous year was $32.6 million.

To

So the CEO could get a pay raise. :whatthe:

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Serious question: WB said they lost money on Justice League, and it was a 2.2.  Do you know what's the difference is between the two, since one is considered a bomb?

See, I don't mind you asking questions. I don't mind you don't care for these films.

But if you are going to post misinformation like that to reinforce you don't like a film, that's going to be questioned. And even more when you pretend you thought Birds of Prey wasn't in theaters still. Just admit you wanted to play the negative game.

Okay.  WB never admitted Justice League was a loss, Forbes figured it out.

To be fair WB doesn't say Justice League itself turns a profit, just that contributes to their profits.  Like the fuzzy accounting you mentioned. 

I think we agree in principle here, just arguing sources, and honestly,  life's to short my friend. It's not worth arguing over.

1 minute ago, D84 said:

Okay.  WB never admitted Justice League was a loss, Forbes figured it out.

To be fair WB doesn't say Justice League itself turns a profit, just that contributes to their profits.  Like the fuzzy accounting you mentioned. 

I think we agree in principle here, just arguing sources, and honestly,  life's to short my friend. It's not worth arguing over.

Well then be straightforward and have a discussion. Let the two other clowns frolic in the fields together as they sing in harmony 'Oh goody WB has a loser'. :insane:

:baiting::foryou:

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Well then be straightforward and have a discussion. Let the two other clowns frolic in the fields together as they sing in harmony 'Oh goody WB has a loser'. :insane:

:baiting::foryou:

Fair enough.  These conversations seem more confrontational online than they would be in real life.  I tend to right to the point.  No Ill will was meant.

:tink:

Just now, D84 said:

Fair enough.  These conversations seem more confrontational online than they would be in real life.  I tend to right to the point.  No Ill will was meant.

:tink:

:foryou:

At least we can celebrate life. Like Tony.

tony.png.734f23197623f775bbd1b81b785893bc.png

(:

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Je-zus H. Christ.

Stop spreading disinformation with your "all-in upfront costs" garbage.

Was waiting for you to chime in with "it needs to gross 4.5x production budget theatrical" or such that you spewed in the Into the Spiderverse thread.

2.5x - 3.0x theatrical is sufficient, based on everything Bosco stated in his response.

Because post-theatrical for this film will *easily* net the studios another $100 million.

That's why P&A isn't included in the 2.5-3.0x production cost shorthand.

Put another way, *every time* you list P&A costs that magically double the production cost of this film from $84.5 million to $185 million, make sure you *also* include the $200 million it will make in post-theatrical (i.e., global rental, global DVD & streaming sales, global TV licensing).

Lol are you high ?

Thus movie does not have a prayer at $200MM in its post theatrical life.  Get a grip.  

And FYI-  nothing "disinformation" about anything I posted.  I literally do it just about the way Deadline does in their box office derbies.  And my +/- numbers usually match up better there than with anyone else that bothers with this kind of info.  Maybe you should look again at how much the likes of shazam made in its pitiful post-theatrical run for context.  

So spare me your lame editorializations.  No matter how you try to slice and dice is, this movie tanked theatrically, and will limp into its post-theatrical zombie shuffle $100MM in the hole, give or take.  

-J.

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

What your high-level financial assessment doesn't account for is things such as:

• Local tax incentives (production budget expense reduction)
  • Product placement revenue (yes, films actually charge companies for product placement)
  • Revenue-share deals with creators and casts (additional expenses)
  • Hidden salary deals where actors publicize being paid a rate amount, but actually aren't (passion project sweetheart deals to keep the film profitable)

Hollywood accounting is a very tricky business. So trying to determine profitability even for Deadline is based on industry assumptions and assumed norms. And when we look at films in that 1.8X to 3.0X revenue ratio range, we can see at times they are considered successes and sometimes misses or 'flops'. It just depends on who is telling the story and what message they are conveying.

DC_MCU_BO200305a.thumb.png.d99a37f953981b310eefe57d83c2a9bb.png

• Blade: Trinity, Batman and Robin, The Incredible Hulk, Hulk: Definite busts
  • Superman II: Not a bust, but not the massive win Superman: The Movie was

Superman II was considered a smash hit during the Summer of 1981. Most sequels lost some.business in those days, even the Star Wars sequels. Also, we see how screwed up tallying grosses was before recent times. Superman II was the highest grossing film in the UK in 1981, so obviously the movie made good money internationally.

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I literally do it just about the way Deadline does in their box office derbies. 

No.You don't.

And that's my point.

You include all of the expenses (i.e., P&A) but then leave out all the post-theatrical profits (literally what Deadline lists as "global rental, global DVD & streaming sales, and global TV licensing"), deriding these as inconsequential "ancillaries" when they account for $50 - $200 million more gross revenue for each film - and *always* off-set the P&A costs.