• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

Spoiler alert!

I saw late show of BoP last night. I liked it, but loved Margot Robbie as HQ. Despite  the low box office#’s, I think it’s safe to say she owns this character now. The movie’s not completely her story, thus the title, but whenever she’s on screen, the movie pops. As great as Robbie was, though, she could have used a slightly better movie story. It was at times a little frustrating. 

Allow me to play post---script doctor a moment.

I dug the premise of Harley’s emancipation from Mr. J and the movie had heart, particularly in her relationship with the pickpocket Cassie (a kind of Robin for Quinn), but I would have liked a little more of a character arc and journey for our main character. This was an ensemble movie leaning more towards Harley. It should have been just 100% Harley’s movie. Rosie Perez’s Renee Montoya and Huntress’s story was a little distracting for me and I didn’t really care. In fact, you could have mostly scratched the cop Montoya and the movie might’ve been better for it. A sub-plot/constant gag of the movie is that everybody’s trying to kill or get Harley for some past reason or another. As for Huntress, she’s a kind of female Batman/Arrow on a side quest for revenge against the mob. Nobody cares. I think Huntress should have been “hunting” Harley in a kind of Batman vs Joker flip the --script kind of thing and then have them become partners after plot point D. Because I never really felt like Harley was truly ever in danger. There was no one lingering threat towards Harley for us to focus on. Everybody wanted Harley but she easily dispatched everybody. A Terminator-like Huntress coming for Harley might have gone a long way towards adding that real threat the movie needed.

Being a Harley Quinn movie in part, the movie was over the top and used excess as a filmmaking tool. I think the movie itself could have used less excess and just let Harley herself be more over the top. She is “mad” after all. I would have liked to see Harley really lose it at times or get to  a truly dark place in her journey towards emancipation, be a little more bipolar, in other words. Joker set a new standard for what you can do with these characters on screen and BoP was rated R. I would have risked a little fun to tell a deeper tale.

I would compare this movie to Deadpool 2. In fact, I thought the plots were a little similar with the team-up and kid character. The middle fight scene went on a little too long and the grand finale seemed a little rushed. But Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn was great and is the reason to see this movie on a large screen.

It’s funny that the two characters this “DCEU” (not counting Joker) has really truly nailed IMO are the ladies. You’d think the dudes would be no-brainers, but maybe “no brains” is the problem lol.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

22 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It’s funny that the two characters this “DCEU” (not counting Joker) has really truly nailed IMO are the ladies. You’d think the dudes would be no-brainers, but maybe “no brains” is the problem lol.

Glad that the torrent site worked for you.

Meanwhile, Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman truly nailed the character, Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman nailed the character, and even Will Smith as Deadshot really nailed the darkness of the character. Heck, Even with Peter David's Arthur Curry you can say Jason Momoa nailed Aquaman.

It's funny how you ignore these 'DCEU' things.

18 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Worlds of DC nailed Superman, Zod, TDKR, Aquaman, and Captain Marvel - along with Wonder Woman.

Harley Quinn kinda sucks.

I disagree on Harley Quinn. The rest, you better believe it. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazingly on-point. Zachary Levi is another one that nailed the 1980's design of Shazam/Captain Marvel being a kid in a god's body.

Funny how some ignore reality. (:

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I disagree on Harley Quinn. The rest, you better believe it. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazingly on-point. Zachary Levi is another one that nailed the 1980's design of Shazam/Captain Marvel being a kid in a god's body.

Funny how some ignore reality. (:

I simply hate that she's over-sexualized, and I think Robbie's fake voice sucks and is annoying AF.

18 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Glad that the torrent site worked for you.

Meanwhile, Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman truly nailed the character, Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman nailed the character, and even Will Smith as Deadshot really nailed the darkness of the character. Heck, Even with Peter David's Arthur Curry you can say Jason Momoa nailed Aquaman.

It's funny how you ignore these 'DCEU' things.

You’re right. I should give “one note” Affleck and the Witcher another chance in the next Batman v Superman movie...oh wait...

My “nailed” comment accounts for how the public general sees them, not hardcore DCEU fans such as yourself. When general audiences think Batman and Superman, they no longer see Affleck or Cavill, if they ever did. They just didn’t hit it with the casual fans. Now when people think Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn, all they see is Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie. I guess I’ll give you Jason Mamoa, but was the movie that popular here ( as opposed to China where he made half his box office)? I think Mamoa as Lobo might’ve been a missed opportunity.
 I just try to call it as I see it without my MCU glasses on.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I simply hate that she's over-sexualized, and I think Robbie's fake voice sucks and is annoying AF.

If you watch the Harley appearances in Batman TAS and now the Harley Quinn TAS, Margot is actually tracking quite on-point with the character.

With Birds of Prey, which I had no interest in, if they mirrored some of the nuttiness of the DCU show and the male-female team maybe it would open the story up more to a broader audience. Though there is still the cursing with the show (TV-MA).

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

If you watch the Harley appearances in Batman TAS and now the Harley Quinn TAS, Margot is actually tracking quite on-point with the character.

With Birds of Prey, which I had no interest in, if they mirrored some of the nuttiness of the DCU show and the male-female team maybe it would open the story up more to a broader audience. Though there is still the cursing with the show (TV-MA).

Never saw the HQ-TAS.

Not wearing pants/shorts isn't tactical. I hate it.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

You’re right. I should give “one note” Affleck and the Witcher another chance in the next Batman v Superman movie...oh wait...

My “nailed” comment accounts for how the public general sees them, not hardcore DCEU fans such as yourself. When general audiences think Batman and Superman, they no longer see Affleck or Cavill, if they ever did. They just didn’t hit it with the casual fans. Now when people think Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn, all they see is Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie. I guess I’ll give you Jason Mamoa, but was the movie that popular here ( as opposed to China where he made half his box office)? I just try to call it as I see it without my MCU glasses on.

That's the second time you made such an uninformed comment about Aquaman's box office. Take your shoes and socks off, along with your troll gloves, and count all your piggies:

• Domestic: 335,061,807 (29.2%)
  • International (non-China): $521,600,000 (45.4%)
  • International (China): $291,800,000 (25.4%)
  • Combined: $1,148,461,807

It is tiring when a few knuckleheads make their posts about an 'MCU vs DC' competition. That's not a discussion. That's just ignorance exposed. And especially when they can't even perform basic math in making such ignorant arguments.

Oh wait. Gatsby says there is no 'DC vs MCU' atmosphere on here. I imagined all this bias blurted out so goofily.

18 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I just try to call it as I see it without my MCU glasses on.

:roflmao:

Sorry. That edit was the best line used while using an Aquaman figure that was declared with intent to detract from the film WITHOUT even checking facts.

Perhaps "casual audiences" only see Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn because they're the only live-action film adaptations that anyone has ever :censored:ing heard of.

Multiple Supermen. Multiple Batmen. People have a choice of who they prefer. That does not make Cavill or Affleck any less on-point.

Logic, people. Please use it.

19 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Perhaps "casual audiences" only see Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn because they're the only live-action film adaptations that anyone has ever :censored:ing heard of.

Multiple Supermen. Multiple Batmen. People have a choice of who they prefer. That does not make Cavill or Affleck any less on-point.

Logic, people. Please use it.

All I know is some just try to call it as they see it. Just because that means blinders with 'MCU' printed on the side - no matter. They're just stating it as they see it.

Like calling people 'sexist' just because they dislike a female actor's performance or the role. That's just simple-minded debating to belittle the other person. But I'm just calling it as I see it.

Many people don't jive with Cavill or Affleck for a few reasons. They tend to be:

1. "Not my Superman". Aka they didn't want a modern origin story.
  2. "Not my Batman". Aka they didn't read - or didn't like - The Dark Knight Returns.
  3. Pure nostalgia.*

*To be fair to #3, if/when they re-cast Iron Man, I'll have the same blinders on that these people have for Kent and Wayne. RDJ will always be my Iron Man after a decade of intimate storytelling and a well-done conclusion to his performances.

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Many people don't jive with Cavill or Affleck for a few reasons. They tend to be:

1. "Not my Superman". Aka they didn't want a modern origin story.
  2. "Not my Batman". Aka they didn't read - or didn't like - The Dark Knight Returns.
  3. Pure nostalgia.*

*To be fair to #3, if/when they re-cast Iron Man, I'll have the same blinders on that these people have for Kent and Wayne. RDJ will always be my Iron Man after a decade of intimate storytelling and a well-done conclusion to his performances.

One hurdle I've reflected on with these debates about 'not my hero' is when you are dealing with characters with decades of years of stories associated with their lore. Sure, you can say the basic makeup of the character is somewhat consistent. But certain elements will be edited to make them edgier, more modern or relevant to certain events of the time.

Even the argument certain characters just don't kill ends up with examples of stories where yes - these characters had their hands forced leading to the death of a character.