• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hope you enjoy it :) 

It's decent, I thought it was fun! Somewhat lol 

I think you had noted there was little to no Huntress backstory. But now I am reading there is a backstory. To include the motivations for the diamond. Did I read that right?

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think you had noted there was little to no Huntress backstory. But now I am reading there is a backstory. To include the motivations for the diamond. Did I read that right?

I don't remember me mentioning it, but yes there was maybe a 15 minute backstory that was in 5 minute segments a piece, it wasn't too involved.....

I do remember there being a scene that there was a superheroey part, and I'm like it's too late to make this a "super hero movie" lol 

It doesn't really strike me as a super hero movie AT ALL. It's more like a bunch of scenarios that could happen to regular people with a bunch of snark :( 

But no I didn't mention Huntress details (thumbsu You see the Huntress throughout the movie, but she doesn't become "involved" until the last 30 minutes or so, and then they're like, "oh here is a bit about her" meh 

2 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

for what it's worth I enjoyed it for what it was, a fun popcorn flick :applause:

Thanks for this! It proves that my mental faculties are in working order :insane: because I too enjoyed it for what it was...

Cause I enjoyed it, I just don't think of it well enough to be able to compare it to anything lol 

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't remember me mentioning it, but yes there was maybe a 15 minute backstory that was in 5 minute segments a piece, it wasn't too involved.....

I do remember there being a scene that there was a superheroey part, and I'm like it's too late to make this a "super hero movie" lol 

It doesn't really strike me as a super hero movie AT ALL. It's more like a bunch of scenarios that could happen to regular people with a bunch of snark :( 

But no I didn't mention Huntress details (thumbsu You see the Huntress throughout the movie, but she doesn't become "involved" until the last 30 minutes or so, and then they're like, "oh here is a bit about her" meh 

So one of the teammates in a larger team was given 15 minutes in a short film? Crazy! :baiting:

It wasn't intended to be a superhero film. so if that was the baseline, there's part of the miss. Not to say this film is going to be incredible for me. These are the villains and anti-heroes of the female DC Universe. Know what I mean?

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks for this! It proves that my mental faculties are in working order :insane: because I too enjoyed it for what it was...

Cause I enjoyed it, I just don't think of it well enough to be able to compare it to anything lol 

Glad you shared that. First time I noticed this mentioned by you. :baiting:

:insane::foryou:

So one of the teammates in a larger team was given 15 minutes in a short film? Crazy! :baiting:

It wasn't intended to be a superhero film. so if that was the baseline, there's part of the miss. Not to say this film is going to be incredible for me. These are the villains and anti-heroes of the female DC Universe. Know what I mean?

Glad you shared that. First time I noticed this mentioned by you. :baiting:

:insane::foryou:

ya it's likable though :) 

If the target audience is seeing this based on "reputation" of the characters, then they'll enjoy it, knowing a back story or not. It's not all out incredible or mind blowing, but that would be "comparing" lol it's just fun!

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya it's likable though :) 

If the target audience is seeing this based on "reputation" of the characters, then they'll enjoy it, knowing a back story or not. It's not all out incredible or mind blowing, but that would be "comparing" lol it's just fun!

It's all good. Some are going to like such films. And then there will be those that dislike such films.

It is interesting how DC vs. MCU, #ReleaseTheSnyderCut and even female team dislikers are attempting to bomb the audience score.

Many posts about how bad BOP was, followed by that Snyder hashtag.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's all good. Some are going to like such films. And then there will be those that dislike such films.

It is interesting how DC vs. MCU, #ReleaseTheSnyderCut and even female team dislikers are attempting to bomb the audience score.

Many posts about how bad BOP was, followed by that Snyder hashtag.

I could definitely see how some would think it's cheesy... lol

It's no wonder woman with a great thought out story.... in that way I could see how it could be a little cringe worthy, because there would be no reality basis transfer. It's a bit like we are the men in tights, while also trying to be serious and not laugh at itself...

17 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I could definitely see how some would think it's cheesy... lol

It's no wonder woman with a great thought out story.... in that way I could see how it could be a little cringe worthy, because there would be no reality basis transfer. It's a bit like we are the men in tights, while also trying to be serious and not laugh at itself...

How does it compare to the Harley Quinn comic book stories or the animated series?

20200215_123007_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c48b7a18538b1af5ae26b2980c4944c.jpg

I'm in for the first showing of the day. Oddly enough, all of 6 men and 2 women in attendance.

How does it compare to the Harley Quinn comic book stories or the animated series?

20200215_123007_HDR.thumb.jpg.0c48b7a18538b1af5ae26b2980c4944c.jpg

I'm in for the first showing of the day. Oddly enough, all of 6 men and 2 women in attendance.

It's a bit more thought out than the cartoon but less funny, probably to make it a 2hr movie..... look forward to your review :) hopefully all your reading doesn't keep you from enjoying, but regardless eat some popcorn!

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

More people spent money to see Captain Marvel. But afterwards, they were less satisfied. Which is partly why the MCU had to change out the directors. So don't kid yourself (or others). You'd be better off enjoying what you like, and let other people enjoy what they like. And with many of us, we have sense enough to enjoy them all when the films connect with our expectations. No nasty competition necessary. Including quoting incorrect box office figures to boost your ego.

Also can't let other above unsolicited swipe at Captain Marvel go unchecked. I tried to leave the good Captain out of this but you've forced my hand...

1) So people were "less satisfied" with Captain Marvel? Okay. Out of a handful of eight folks I know personally who saw the movie, two of them I know went into the movie pre-hating the movie and/or didn't like Brie Larson's female outspokenness at the time. None were proactive CM fans like myself, were mixed as to how much they followed the MCU, and included both male and female. A good sampling of a general audience. All eight of them, including the haters, came out of the movie liking it. Because it's a well done movie regardless whether you liked the Nick Fury eye scratch scene or not. Again, this was just a sampling of people I knew who had no "skin in the game" for Carol Danvers and it's not a denial that some people didn't care for the movie.

2) You then say as a result of this phantom dislike for CM, that Marvel Studios thus changed directors for the sequel. First, Marvel changes out directors quite a bit. But let's look at what Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck brought to the first Captain Marvel film. They are indie-style directors who previously made smaller character-driven films. And what was the premise of Captain Marvel? It was about a woman with amnesia who is looking for something but also finds herself. And it takes place in the 90's. Essentially, Marvel made a 90's indie road trip movie about self-discovery. Almost every 90's indie movie that wasn't copying Tarantino or Scorsese was about the same thing. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, when looking at their previous work, were the perfect directors to make this "90's indie style" road trip genre super-hero (with amusing nods to the 90's Terminator 2) movie. 

The movie, of course, wasn't an emotional gut-punch like Winter Soldier or Black Panther or Infinity War, but it shouldn't have been. It needed to be a lighter smaller movie and not emotionally or conceptually distract from the world's mourning over our heroes from Infinity War or distract from the heavy emotional expectations for the conclusion in Endgame, or try to steal their thunder.

Now considering the CM sequel, it looks like the story will take place in the present (though I'm sure there will be flashback scenes) and may be a mini-Avengers movie like Winter Soldier. In this movie, Carol Danvers will full on join the present Marvel Universe proper. S.W.O.R.D. will probably be involved. Perhaps Kevin Feige feels a director with a better grasp of a possibly more epic scale story may be needed. Captain Marvel 2 won't be a small movie like the first one. It will be big.

Obviously I'm not in Kevin Feige's head, but that's how I see it. Now back to Birds of Prey...

Edited by @therealsilvermane

https://www.hsx.com/security/view/GOTCS

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also can't let other above unsolicited swipe at Captain Marvel go unchecked. I tried to leave the good Captain out of this but you've forced my hand...

1) So people were "less satisfied" with Captain Marvel? Okay. Out of a handful of eight folks I know personally who saw the movie, two of them I know went into the movie pre-hating the movie and/or didn't like Brie Larson's female outspokenness at the time. None were proactive CM fans like myself, were mixed as to how much they followed the MCU, and included both male and female. A good sampling of a general audience. All eight of them, including the haters, came out of the movie liking it. Because it's a well done movie regardless whether you liked the Nick Fury eye scratch scene or not. Again, this was just a sampling of people I knew who had no "skin in the game" for Carol Danvers and it's not a denial that some people didn't care for the movie.

2) You then say as a result of this phantom dislike for CM, that Marvel Studios thus changed directors for the sequel. First, Marvel changes out directors quite a bit. But let's look at what Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck brought to the first Captain Marvel film. They are indie-style directors who previously made smaller character-driven films. And what was the premise of Captain Marvel? It was about a woman with amnesia who is looking for something but also finds herself. And it takes place in the 90's. Essentially, Marvel made a 90's indie road trip movie about self-discovery. Almost every 90's indie movie that wasn't copying Tarantino or Scorsese was about the same thing. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, when looking at their previous work, were the perfect directors to make this "90's indie style" road trip genre super-hero movie.

The movie, of course, wasn't an emotional gut-punch like Winter Soldier or Black Panther or Infinity War, but it shouldn't have been. It needed to be a lighter smaller movie and not emotionally or conceptually distract from the world's mourning over our heroes from Infinity War or distract from the heavy emotional expectations for the conclusion in Endgame, or try to steal their thunder.

Now considering the CM sequel, it looks like the story will take place in the present (though I'm sure there will be flashback scenes) and may be a mini-Avengers movie like Winter Soldier. In this movie, Carol Danvers will full on join the present Marvel Universe proper. S.W.O.R.D. will probably be involved. Perhaps Kevin Feige feels a director with a better grasp of a possibly more epic scale story may be needed. Captain Marvel 2 won't be a small movie like the first one. It will be big.

Obviously I'm not in Kevin Feige's head, but that's how I see it. Now back to Birds of Prey...

https://www.hsx.com/security/view/GOTCS

chart looks like a peregrine attacking

25 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

2) You then say as a result of this phantom dislike for CM, that Marvel Studios thus changed directors for the sequel. First, Marvel changes out directors quite a bit. But let's look at what Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck brought to the first Captain Marvel film. They are indie-style directors who previously made smaller character-driven films. And what was the premise of Captain Marvel? It was about a woman with amnesia who is looking for something but also finds herself. And it takes place in the 90's. Essentially, Marvel made a 90's indie road trip movie about self-discovery. Almost every 90's indie movie that wasn't copying Tarantino or Scorsese was about the same thing. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, when looking at their previous work, were the perfect directors to make this "90's indie style" road trip genre super-hero (with amusing nods to the 90's Terminator 2) movie. 

Three review tracking sites. Seeing a trend?

CM_Ratings.PNG.cd6086360e8921d4fb29666293e6fae5.PNG

Back from seeing the first showing of Birds of Prey at a  2-D showing (12:40 PM).

Total Audience: 28 people, though more male than female. Including what appeared to be 6 teenage girls that came in together.

Overall: 7.5/10

Biggest Mistake: R-rating, as those teenage girls were the loudest ones in the audience giggling out loud. Though with certain scenes (Harley bouncing a guy's head off a steering wheel while kicking another guy) got audience reactions.

The Good:

• This was definitely set up as a female team buddy film that took time to line up all the players together which once they do join up is jammed with action
  • Throughout the film each character is given a chance to demonstrate their skills and their motivations for liking or disliking certain characters
  • Huntress from the beginning is dropped in from childhood to the final vengeance-bringer she is recognized to be; but even early on she is drawing blood (not sure what this 'Not til much later' thing is)
  • Diana Lance is definitely a strong player throughout the film, though not to full strength until later in the film
  • Roman Sionis and Victor Zsasz were perfect street-level threats that ate up any screen time they were given, they were so sinister and engaging together; Black Mask when he goes full Big Bad is extremely well fitting
  • The women in this film kick a lot of butt throughout the film in believable ways if you take the time to watch them use their momentum to throw men larger than them, including Huntress, Black Canary, Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya
  • Overall, the story comes together to a wild ending loaded with action (so no weak Act III here - though a decision of how it ended was a letdown for the future)
  • Joker is referenced so many times in this film as a cartoon, a drawing and by name you feel like he is in the film; though it would have been really cool to have him appear like in the animated series
  • The soundtrack is extremely well placed throughout and complemented the scenes quite nicely in many spots
  • This was definitely the wild misadventures of Harley Quinn throughout, so they were very true to the character (and her supporting cast for the most part)
  • Someone noted this felt like Deadpool 2 with some of the theme - I agree, and thought that would have been perfect for the teenage audience this was intended for as a 'MY HERO' message
  • Bruce actually got a lot of 'awwww' from a portion of the audience, so as a mascot he definitely worked more than I expected
  • Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Huntress) and Jurnee Smollett-Bell (Black Canary) need to figure out how to team up, as they were fantastic together
  • Oh, and the diamond
Spoiler

The backstory made perfect sense, and being associated with Huntress was a solid connection; no stupid male genitalia thing as was 'leaked'

The Bad:

• I can't say enough how big WB missed its audience here, as listening to those girls laugh out loud at certain scenes I wasn't completely connecting way demonstrates who this was more for
  • The flashback scenes at times can throw you off if you don't take a moment to understand what is going on (but just certain scenes)
  • One decision made, to me, was a huge mistake:
Spoiler

WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING KILLING OFF BLACK MASK AND VICTOR ZSASZ LIKE THAT???!!! These actors owned those roles so wonderfully, and you throw them away?? Especially once Black Mask when he suits up.

• The end result leads to the title, so I think this should have been called something else and the sequel (if there will be one) would have been 'Birds of Prey'
  • With that, WB messed up with the title and messaging here and deserves the kick to the nuts it is experiencing for right now (hopefully a lesson will be learned)

Would I see it again: Although this is not my type film, if someone wanted me to go with them I would see it again without a fight; but it wouldn't be top of my Digital HD purchase list (I am not the audience for this film). Though again it was Huntress and Black Canary I was really impressed with, along with Black Mask (Mister Intensity).

Edited by Bosco685

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, the trend was review and user bombing by ideological hater trolls of Captain Marvel. Got anything else?

(:

So if the 1's are in question, the 10's aren't as well? You are too easy. If it isn't positive about your beloved film, then it must have been tampered with. Those 42,812 10's must be real because the film was that perfect the MCU - wait - checks notes - dropped the two directors and are now looking for what is rumored to be a female director.

:facepalm:

You are too obvious. But I'm just calling it as I see it.

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Back from seeing the first showing of Birds of Prey at a  2-D showing (12:40 PM).

Total Audience: 28 people, though more male than female. Including what appeared to be 6 teenage girls that came in together.

Overall: 7.5/10

Biggest Mistake: R-rating, as those teenage girls were the loudest ones in the audience giggling out loud. Though with certain scenes (Harley bouncing a guy's head off a steering wheel while kicking another guy) got audience reactions.

The Good:

• This was definitely set up a a female team buddy film that took time to line up all the players together which once they do join up is jammed with action
  • Throughout the film each character is given a chance to demonstrate their skills and their motivations for liking or disliking certain characters
  • Huntress from the beginning is dropped in from childhood to the final vengeance-bringer she is recognized to be; but even early on she is drawing blood (not sure what this 'Not til much later' thing is)
  • Diana Lance is definitely a strong player throughout the film, though not to full strength until later in the film
  • Roman Sionis and Victor Zsasz were perfect street-level threats that ate up any screen time they were given, they were so sinister and engaging together; Black Mask when he goes full Big Bad is extremely well fitting
  • The women in this film kick a lot of butt throughout the film in believable ways if you take the time to watch them use their momentum to throw men larger than them, including Huntress, Black Canary, Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya
  • Overall, the story comes together to a wild ending loaded with action (so no weak Act III here - though a decision of how it ended was a letdown for the future)
  • Joker is referenced so many times in this film as a cartoon, a drawing and by name you feel like he is in the film; though it would have been really cool to have him appear like in the animated series
  • The soundtrack is extremely well placed throughout and complemented the scenes quite nicely in many spots
  • This was definitely the wild misadventures of Harley Quinn throughout, so they were very true to the character (and her supporting cast for the most part)
  • Someone noted this felt like Deadpool 2 with some of the theme - I agree, and thought that would have been perfect for the teenage audience this was intended for as a 'MY HERO' message
  • Bruce actually got a lot of 'awwww' from a portion of the audience, so as a mascot he definitely worked more than I expected
  • Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Huntress) and Jurnee Smollett-Bell (Black Canary) need to figure out how to team up, as they were fantastic together
  • Oh, and the diamond
  Hide contents

The backstory made perfect sense, and being associated with Huntress was a solid connection; no stupid male genitalia thing as was 'leaked'

The Bad:

• I can't say enough how big WB missed its audience here, as listening to those girls laugh out loud at certain scenes I wasn't completely connecting way demonstrates who this was more for
  • The flashback scenes at times can throw you off if you don't take a moment to understand what is going on (but just certain scenes)
  • One decision made, to me, was a huge mistake:
  Hide contents

WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING KILLING OFF BLACK MASK AND VICTOR ZSASZ LIKE THAT???!!! These actors owned those roles so wonderfully, and you throw them away?? Especially once Black Mask when he suits up.

• The end result leads to the title, so I think this should have been called something else and the sequel (if there will be one) would have been 'Birds of Prey'
  • With that, WB messed up with the title and messaging here and deserves the kick to the nuts it is experiencing for right now (hopefully a lesson will be learned)

Would I see it again: Although this is not my type film, if someone wanted me to go with them I would see it again without a fight; but it wouldn't be top of my Digital HD purchase list (I am not the audience for this film). Though again it was Huntress and Black Canary I was really impressed with, along with Black Mask (Mister Intensity).

Good review, huntress played like a gambit X-Men annual 14 cameo throughout, but culminated in the end.

I called it lackluster, but fun!

It's casual viewing at it's finest. I agree with the rating and perhaps the only r thing about it may have been cursing which I don't exactly remember

And

Spoiler

When they scalped the guys face

Enjoyable, glad to see a little knowledge thrown in for a good review.

As I'm not familiar enough with the characters specifically huntress, I didn't get that aspect of the movie until the end

Spoiler

The black canary eventually showing voice powered to shatter the enemy was the too late to make this a super hero portion of my review

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Good review, hundreds played like a gambit X-Men annual 14 cameo throughout, but culminated in the end.

I called it lackluster, but fun!

It's casual viewing at it's finest. I agree with the rating and perhaps the only r thing about it may have been cursing which I don't exactly remember

And

Reveal hidden contents

When they scalped the guys face

Enjoyable, glad to see a little knowledge thrown in for a good review.

As I'm not familiar enough with the characters specifically hundreds, I didn't get that aspect of the movie until the end

Reveal hidden contents

The black canary eventually showing voice powered to shatter the enemy was the too late to make this a super hero portion of my review

It may come down to I have many of the comic books these characters appear in. Including the bigger characters like Black Mask (still have my Batman #386 from off the shelf). So to me, I knew much of their backstories and what to look for. Which they did a good job with some of the characters that needed to be front and center.

Now with Victor Zsasz...

Spoiler

That's the character. He kills and then marks his body to remember his kills. The film did not shy away from the source material. So I have to hand it to them for sticking to his characteristics without worry about turning people off. Though we needed MUCH MORE of his backstory.

zsazs.thumb.jpg.635981999f1ebb2ef3748d5e7f797923.jpg

With that massive contribution in the end...

Spoiler

That was the big payoff for fans of Black Canary, which is very popular because of creators like Gail Simone that brought her back to the forefront of stories. Deliver that scene early and all the character excitement to see her deliver happens far too soon.

Hope that helps. :foryou: