• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 242 CGC 8.0 White Pages!
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2018 at 3:35 AM, kimik said:

Nice copy. Looks worse than an 8.0 to me, but still a beautiful book nonetheless.

Looks graded accurately to me, little spine wear that breaks color but other wise, nice corners & color. No major creasing, color breaking spine stress keeps this from grading higher and just enough from receiving a lower grade. It's definitely an 8.0 

On 1/20/2018 at 3:35 AM, kimik said:

Nice copy. Looks worse than an 8.0 to me, but still a beautiful book nonetheless.

CGC has always been a little easy on this book - either that or the scans just amplify the wear because of the darker cover colors.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎23 at 2:44 PM, VintageComics said:
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 1:35 AM, kimik said:

CGC has always been a little easy on this book - either that or the scans just amplify the wear because of the darker cover colors.

I don't think it is the scans. The book looks like it had a reading bend with a few light creases running parallel along the spine (someone folded the cover over and behind the book when reading it way back when) that was pressed out. With all of the spine creasing and edge wear (check out the top right corner), plus the other spots where it appears that there are small creases/scuffs on the front cover (e.g. on and below Supes' cape) that do not appear to be slab scratches/scuffs,  I am very surprised this hit 8.0. It has nice color and gloss, but way too much other damage on the front for me. 

I agree with you that CGC has always been looser with the grading on this book - it makes accurately graded slabbed copies that much more desireable IMHO.

Edited by kimik

22 hours ago, kimik said:

I don't think it is the scans. The book looks like it had a reading bend with a few light creases running parallel along the spine (someone folded the cover over and behind the book when reading it way back when) that was pressed out. With all of the spine creasing and edge wear (check out the top right corner), plus the other spots where it appears that there are small creases/scuffs on the front cover (e.g. on and below Supes' cape) that do not appear to be slab scratches/scuffs,  I am very surprised this hit 8.0. It has nice color and gloss, but way too much other damage on the front for me. 

Scans are one of the most misunderstood things in the hobby today as we have evolved to a digital market.

You can have a multitude of defects that appear on a scan that do not appear on a book.

You can have scans that hide defects.

You can have scans that make shadows, tanning, color breaks and color strike all look worse or better, depending on the book and the scanner.

The other thing that people do far too often is say how a book is over graded or undergraded based on the scan they see.

You have no way of knowing if a book is undergraded unless you can see the book in it's entirety as you can have a multitude of defects that don't show in scans (or in front scans only)

And saying a book is overgraded? Again, without the book in hand it's a tough call to make.

------------------

We had a grading contest I participated in years ago and a book that many people graded a 7.5/8.0 was actually a 9.4 because the scanner made the book look like it had multiple spine stresses.

I learned never to judge based on a scan that day.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Scans are one of the most misunderstood things in the hobby today as we have evolved to a digital market.

You can have a multitude of defects that appear on a scan that do not appear on a book.

You can have scans that make shadows, tanning, color breaks and color strike all look worse or better, depending on the book and the scanner.

The other thing that people do far too often is say how a book is over graded or undergraded based on the scan they see.

You have no way of knowing if a book is undergraded unless you can see the book in it's entirety as you can have a multitude of defects that don't show in scans (or in front scans only)

And saying a book is overgraded? Again, without the book in hand it's a tough call to make.

------------------

We had a grading contest I participated in years ago and a book that many people graded a 7.5/8.0 was actually a 9.4 because the scanner made the book look like it had multiple spine stresses.

Good points Roy.

And then add the fact that we're dealing with a purple cover in a "scan". Man, we are all reaching if we make assertations on this book.

22 hours ago, VintageComics said:

------------------

Exactly right.  This is why I shake my head and laugh when people ask "Spare me a grade - Grade my book".  You can't do it accurately based a on a scan - you need the book in hand.  

Edited by pemart1966

Just now, pemart1966 said:

Exactly right.  This is why I shake my head and laugh when people ask "Spare me a grade - Grade my book".  You can't do it accurately based a on a scan - you need the book in hand.  

The grading forum is basically a ballpark guess.

It will get you into the ballpark but I wouldn't bank on it.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:45 PM, peewee22 said:

Purple copies always look worse than they really are. 

Purple is no different than other colors. A fugly spine is a fugly spine no matter what the cover colors. My purple comic resents your statement..............

Superman#144.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Purple is no different than other colors. A fugly spine is a fugly spine no matter what the cover colors. My purple comic resents your statement..............

Superman#144.jpg

Very cool purple cover Bob!

So you think white covers and purple covers "look" the same? You have special peepers Bob.

13 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Very cool purple cover Bob!

So you think white covers and purple covers "look" the same? You have special peepers Bob.

Nah, just having fun. But some Purple covers can look good. 

On 1/25/2018 at 7:52 PM, VintageComics said:

------------------

I get what you are saying, but there is still way too much damage on the spine for it to be an 8.0 IMHO. It looks like a 7.0 max due to the spine creasing (they are too large for an 8.0) and a couple of other spots on the front cover, and we don't know if there is anything else on the back. 

That being said, this is one of the books that gets the most out of the "key bump" on a consistent basis.

4 hours ago, kimik said:

I get what you are saying, but there is still way too much damage on the spine for it to be an 8.0 IMHO. It looks like a 7.0 max due to the spine creasing (they are too large for an 8.0) and a couple of other spots on the front cover, and we don't know if there is anything else on the back. 

That being said, this is one of the books that gets the most out of the "key bump" on a consistent basis.

If I bought this book "as is" I could live with it. It's just too rare to pass up for 1/2 a grade. Sometimes grading becomes ancillary as it is all about the book and I think this is one of those circumstances. (thumbsu