• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Craigslist scammer

32 posts in this topic

Some of the examples don't apply to this case, but the result in the end is the same. When the bank reverses the deposit because the check you thought cleared didn't. It could take seven to ten days or sometimes longer for the issuing bank to notify your bank that the checks bad, stick with cash it's simplier

So, I did 1 craigslist deal for 3 cords of firewood stacked at my house.  I met the guy at McDonalds and he gave me a deposit.  I wrote a receipt, including all the details.  The most important one was, he had to pay my wife in full, (cash) before loading any wood.  He showed up with someone else.  He refused to pay my wife until he finished loading all the wood.  She sat out in the pouring rain watching them, so they wouldn't take off without paying. 

I wouldn't let anyone in my house under terms like these.  Meet at a police station and have him pay in cash. 

Edited by comicdonna

39 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

This is a common scam. Stay away! 

The second check is routed through several banks and takes well more than 10 days to clear. It is a total scam. I have a check from such a scam that was overnighted. Several text threats later he disappeared and I still have his check. If it was legit, would he leave me keep a check for several thousand dollars with no comics on his end?

2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

The area code on the cell phone doesn't mean anything.  You can switch states/companies and keep the same number.  The deal itself is no good.  Clearly a scam. 

And the number is easily spoofed. 

This "deal" will probably go just like those phony job postings that still float around.  "Oh, I'm looking to hire someone to send my money overseas for me.  You deposit this cashiers check into your bank account, keep your cut, withdraw the remainder, and then wire it to my guy Boris over in Belarus."  

When the cashiers check turns out to be fake (and they are usually laughingly easy to spot if you know what you're looking for), the bank dings your account with an NSF and you're on the hook to reimburse them for the full amount.  

So no, don't even entertain this guy.  Send the first check back to him if it does arrive, and move on to another buyer.  Preferably one with a PayPal account.

There is no way anyone at your bank can tell if the cashier's check is good.  It may look, feel, and smell good, but until it clears at the issuing bank, it all means nothing.  They may be able to tell if it is counterfeit, but if it is a good counterfeit it could pass for real at your bank. The issuing bank is the only one that can truly verify. 

11 hours ago, NoMan said:

how big a collection does 50$ hold?

659 comic books. Two full sets and one long run sets.

$50 check never came. No tracking number was provided. The buyer is quiet now.  I am starting to move on.

Edited by JollyComics