• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Craigslist scammer

32 posts in this topic

Always aloof at Craigslist but gave a try. I knew I may have a potential scammer.

First time, I used CL as the seller and someone is interested in my collection WITHOUT any offers or negotiations. He wanted to buy my collection at my FULL price without a hesitation HOWEVER he lives in Texas. I live in Illinois. One BIG puzzle is that his cell phone is 847-530-9993. Area Code 847 is where I live. How did he has that number while he lives in Texas?  I checked the phone number online and it is Northbrook area --- only 15 minutes away from home by driving.

His name is Joey Charles (that is what I got his name via his email [joey11qc@gmail.com]).

He will mail me the $45 or $50 cashier's check (he writes inconsistently) overnight and wanted me to cash it for few days until it is clear then he will send his mover. The mover will give me the check (full amount I asked for) and picks my collection up.

I don't think it will work for me but I will try his check at my bank if it is authentic.  Should I take the mover to the bank and verify the check that has the fund?  Will it scare the mover away?  Maybe Joey is the mover.  Should I go ahead to inquire him more specific information?

What is your thought?

is the second check supposed to be a cashier's check too?  If the 1st check clears, and the 2nd check is exactly the same type, it should be alright.  If you happen to get robbed, the first check (if it is legit) should still be enough of a lead for the police to track this guy down.

Regardless, categorize all aspects of the interaction, including the license plates of anyone picking up the comics and hopefully taking a photo of that person, save the envelope the check is sent in, etc.  Also, don't be alone when the guy comes to get the comics.  If you have one of the front door cameras or other security cameras around your house, make sure those are on.

7 minutes ago, revat said:

is the second check supposed to be a cashier's check too?  If the 1st check clears, and the 2nd check is exactly the same type, it should be alright.  If you happen to get robbed, the first check (if it is legit) should still be enough of a lead for the police to track this guy down.

Regardless, categorize all aspects of the interaction, including the license plates of anyone picking up the comics and hopefully taking a photo of that person, save the envelope the check is sent in, etc.  Also, don't be alone when the guy comes to get the comics.  If you have one of the front door cameras or other security cameras around your house, make sure those are on.

My wife will photograph him while he is approaching to the front door.  I will write the plate number. No, I don't have the security camera.

1 minute ago, 1webslinger said:

Don't do it, with a check, I've heard of of this before.  The first cashier check will clear , but the second final payment won't .  Tell him you'll hold the collection if the first check clears and the mover can bring cash.

Bingo.

1 hour ago, 1webslinger said:

Don't do it, with a check, I've heard of of this before.  The first cashier check will clear , but the second final payment won't .  Tell him you'll hold the collection if the first check clears and the mover can bring cash.

My second thought is about the counterfeit.