• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did this Morrow Page Go Cheap?

6 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREY-MORROW-SUPERGIRL-THE-MOVIE-1-Original-DC-Comic-Bronze-Art-1977-/322830678820?hash=item4b2a353b24%3Ag%3AqEIAAOSw4LdZ49oU&nma=true&si=MWCRhdvf4M7KTm6zum%2BQIQzvOBc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Seems cheap to me, or am I just a little niche of people who know about and like Morrow (I know this page isn't his greatest, but it's a good character at least)? I thought he was a well regarded guy in his era ?

Edited by the blob

Agreed. As good as Morrow was, his pieces don't really run high in price relative to some around the same era. 

I would agree, too. He was a very solid artist (I have one of his pages), but he didn't generate the "ooo..." factor.  He also did a lot of work, which keeps the price down. 

One aspect of OA which I don't think gets raised much is the inherent tension between art which furthers a story and art which makes for a great display piece. Morrow's work is very good at moving the story along, and that Supergirl page undoubtedly did so. But, that doesn't rank highly in the OA market. Instead, people want splashy pages (pun intended). They rarely move a story along very well, but they do look great. 

In addition to the point you made, I believe that Gray's work is also underappreciated because he never had a long run on a popular title / character. The work is all really good, but it doesn't tug at the nostalgia rope for most.

He has done some exceptional work, but that page was probably closer to the worst of his output rather than the best. That said, you can get a very good Morrow for well under a thousand. Part is that he was underappreciated. Part was that he never really worked on any "hot" properties. There are lots of painted book covers out there, but even they don't go for crazy money.