• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd price symbol

7 posts in this topic

The / symbol is the sign for the currency unit "shilling", and not for "pound" (which would be £) as suggested above. The - symbol is used for zero pence (pennies). Thus, 1/- means a cost of 1 shilling and no pence.

In old monetary systems based on the British model, 12 pence made 1 shilling, and 20 shillings made 1 pound (so 240 pence equals 1 pound). Britain used this system until 1971, and many British colonies adopted similar systems.

As has been suggested above, this likely means that your copy is British, but it's important to note that Australian comics were also priced this way. If you post a photo, there are lots of people here who could identify it for you...

I don't know enough about Australian editions to say definitively.  The older ones I've seen (which would have pre-decimal prices) tended to be smaller, but I've only seen a few. I assume (?) they also switched to more standard sizes at some stage.

New Zealand also used this currency system, but as I have not heard about NZ editions, I assume they had access to Australian editions.

On 20/01/2018 at 3:29 AM, Metallo said:

Anybody know what 1/- represents when it's in the

price spot on a comic cover (instead of 12¢, for example).

Some light reading on Marvel pence books Metallo:

1/- represents one schilling

Capture.PNG.cf6c729999141de99e67c962087a80e4.PNG

Let us know the title - assuming it's a Marvel book?