• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to prepare your CGC SS slabbed books for add'l sigs
1 1

4 posts in this topic

So I always refer to @mschmidt wonderful guide on how to prepare raw books for SS.

But I am now preparing to send already slabbed CGC SS books to get remaining creator signatures on a variety of books.  My question is how do I prepare these books?  Considering the books cannot be removed from their slabs until before the show, and it's difficult to prepare a windowed bag, what do you do in this situation?  What do you send along with your books to help make the life of your favorite facilitators better?

Thanks in advance for the helpful advice.

By your comment that "it's difficult to prepare a windowed bag," I'm guessing you're looking for specific sig placement and not a generic window bag, which of course can be done without a comic for reference.

In the case of a SS book, if I have a raw copy of the same comic, I use that copy to prepare the window bag.  Otherwise, I place an empty bag on top of the slab and position to where it would be if the comic were in it, and mark where I want to make the cut out.  From there it's just like preparing any other window bag.  I use masking tape, primarily because a marker can smear even after it's dried.  I learned that the hard way with some sketches I got on comics in window bags that a marker was used for cut out.  Probably not as big an issue when you're just getting a sig, because the bag won't be handled nearly as much, but no reason to take that chance.  Just be sure not to cut into the masking tape, because otherwise the adhesive from the tape can get on the comic.