• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration scale and trimming

3 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can help out here, I'm wondering how the restoration scale applies to trimming. From my understanding the letters A through C and the numbers after the dash represent whether or not the restoration is a amateur or poor and then how extensive it is. The information I've seen really seems to just talk about that scale in relation to color touch, pieces added, glue, Etc. But the cgc info I have seen doesn't give an explanation of that scale in regards to trimming. So if a comic is restored and it's a c - 1  with slight color touch and all three edges trimmed I'm just wondering if that c - 1 is in regards to the color touch on it or if it also factors in with the trimming.   Do they judge how well the trimming was done? Like if someone barely trims a couple millimeters versus an inch or if it's a straight cut versus incorrectly done at a slightl angle?

Thanks

Edited by serling1978

7 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Hoping someone can help out here, I'm wondering how the restoration scale applies to trimming. From my understanding the letters A through C and the numbers after the dash represent whether or not the restoration is a amateur or poor and then how extensive it is. The information I've seen really seems to just talk about that scale in relation to color touch, pieces added, glue, Etc. But the cgc info I have seen doesn't give an explanation of that scale in regards to trimming. So if a comic is restored and it's a c - 1  with slight color touch and all three edges trimmed I'm just wondering if that c - 1 is in regards to the color touch on it or if it also factors in with the trimming.   Do they judge how well the trimming was done? Like if someone barely trims a couple millimeters versus an inch or if it's a straight cut versus incorrectly done at a slightl angle?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure if you have a book thats just trimmed with no other restoration it will receive an "Apparent" designation with a purple label.  Because of this I consider the scale applicable to actual restoration and just take the "trimmed" note as an entry on the label and not part of the overall scaled rating.  In my eyes I don't see trimming as restoration.  Its a destructive process that cannot be reversed as opposed to most restoration practices.  I avoid trimmed books at all costs!

9 hours ago, serling1978 said:

So if a comic is restored and it's a c - 1  with slight color touch and all three edges trimmed I'm just wondering if that c - 1 is in regards to the color touch on it or if it also factors in with the trimming.   Do they judge how well the trimming was done? Like if someone barely trims a couple millimeters versus an inch or if it's a straight cut versus incorrectly done at a slightl angle?

Thanks

I think you are correct in your example, C - 1 color touch with all three edges trimmed, the C - 1 is a reference to the color touch only. The trimming is not evaluated for size or quality, it's just trimmed. The worst Purple Label you can own, nearly universally frowned upon by collectors.