• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I get a bump from pressing based on these notes? - PIC attached

6 posts in this topic

So I'm looking at picking up a silver age Marvel in a 9.4 preferably with W pages and have come across a couple so far. One of them is in an old holder and was graded in 2000. While it's a little higher than I'd want to spend, the grader notes indicates:

Spine Small Stress Lines

Top Spine Wear Breaks Color

I assume the Top colour break will not be helped by a clean and press but spine stress Lines  might...Right? Does this sound like a potential for pressing? Can it still get a 9.6 with a top colour break? I don't have a pic that shows the break yet but am trying to get one.

Thanks for your help in advance and cheers

FF48 9.4 OWW.jpg

Edited by c_mkv

12 minutes ago, c_mkv said:

So I'm looking at picking up a silver age Marvel in a 9.4 preferably with W pages and have come across a couple so far. One of them is in an old holder and was graded in 2000. While it's a little higher than I'd want to spend, the grader notes indicates:

Spine Small Stress Lines

Top Spine Wear Breaks Color

I assume the Top colour break will not be helped by a clean and press but spine stress Lines  might...Right? Does this sound like a potential for pressing? Can it still get a 9.6 with a top colour break? I don't have a pic that shows the break yet but am trying to get one.

Thanks for your help in advance and cheers

We really need to see the book. Just going off the notes, I doubt you will get a 9.6 .  

On 1/20/2018 at 3:38 PM, comicquant said:

The notes are helpful but its hard to tell without seeing the book in hand or viewing hi-res scans.  If the spine wear breaks color a 9.6 is doubtful.  Even a 9.4 is questionable.  Especially with how tight they're grading currently.  

I totally agree with this, especially the part about how tight they're grading right now...

High stakes game.... what if the spine splits and comes back way lower. There is a reason 9.6 and 9.8 is $$$$. I would be happy with a FF48 to just have a good wrap. Is this just to make money or do you want that book in 9.6?