• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HUNT has finally ended !
2 2

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Great achievement! Which issues (if any) did you get from the Passaic Book Center? That was my old stomping grounds.

Many were later issues.  Nothing spectacular.  3.0-5.0 stuff.  Maybe about ten of them.

Congratulations to you and thank you for sharing your story with the Boards.

12 hours ago, comicstock said:

5a63ebabe58fa_SilverStreak14.thumb.JPG.76371c9b16dcf0b074414a5d38502563.JPG

SILVER STREAK #14

This issue completes my run of Silver Streak #6-17 (all Daredevil issues) and Daredevil Comics #1-134 plus a Slugger #1.  All the Silver Streaks are slabbed as are the first 35 issues + 8 later issues of Daredevil Comics.

Fifty years to finally get it done!  The memories....

Lots of mail orders in the late 60s-80s.  Passaic Book Center, Donald Puff and many others.  Buying up copies at Creation Cons in Manhattan & Philadelphia plus Fred Greenberg & Bob Horn shows from NY, NJ, PA.

Thank goodness for the internet since the late nineties-current, keeping the hunt ever moving forward filling in many remaining holes.

My first DD key was the #1 from a nice gentleman named Richard Hoffman, who lived outside of Buffalo, NY.  He ran an ad (1977?) in RBCC pricing it at $350 and was kind enough to let me make time payments.  I have his short letter somewhere around here thanking me for the purchase after I paid it off.  I called him about twenty years ago.  He told me pretty much everything he advertised 20 years earlier was sold but I told him I just wanted to thank him again for making the book available.  The book was submitted to CGC many years ago and received Blue Label 5.0.  I won the Silver Streak #6 (1st appearance) in a ComicLink auction 8-9 years ago.  A nice 7.5.  Bought the DD #11 classic bondage/torture cover at a Creation show in NYC for $100 around 1980.  CGC grade 7.0.  I traveled many times during the 70s-80s to all the comic shops in NJ, PA & NYC.  Scored some later issue buys at Quality Comics in Somerville, NJ & Comic Investments, Philly suburb.  Those were good times....

What next?  I'll continue to upgrade these books and of course, pay off comic book debt.  Thanks for reading!

Wonderful achievement!