• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HUNT has finally ended !
2 2

42 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, comicstock said:

5a63ebabe58fa_SilverStreak14.thumb.JPG.76371c9b16dcf0b074414a5d38502563.JPG

SILVER STREAK #14

This issue completes my run of Silver Streak #6-17 (all Daredevil issues) and Daredevil Comics #1-134 plus a Slugger #1.  All the Silver Streaks are slabbed as are the first 35 issues + 8 later issues of Daredevil Comics.

Fifty years to finally get it done!  The memories....

Lots of mail orders in the late 60s-80s.  Passaic Book Center, Donald Puff and many others.  Buying up copies at Creation Cons in Manhattan & Philadelphia plus Fred Greenberg & Bob Horn shows from NY, NJ, PA.

Thank goodness for the internet since the late nineties-current, keeping the hunt ever moving forward filling in many remaining holes.

My first DD key was the #1 from a nice gentleman named Richard Hoffman, who lived outside of Buffalo, NY.  He ran an ad (1977?) in RBCC pricing it at $350 and was kind enough to let me make time payments.  I have his short letter somewhere around here thanking me for the purchase after I paid it off.  I called him about twenty years ago.  He told me pretty much everything he advertised 20 years earlier was sold but I told him I just wanted to thank him again for making the book available.  The book was submitted to CGC many years ago and received Blue Label 5.0.  I won the Silver Streak #6 (1st appearance) in a ComicLink auction 8-9 years ago.  A nice 7.5.  Bought the DD #11 classic bondage/torture cover at a Creation show in NYC for $100 around 1980.  CGC grade 7.0.  I traveled many times during the 70s-80s to all the comic shops in NJ, PA & NYC.  Scored some later issue buys at Quality Comics in Somerville, NJ & Comic Investments, Philly suburb.  Those were good times....

What next?  I'll continue to upgrade these books and of course, pay off comic book debt.  Thanks for reading!

Terrific accomplishment!  Thanks for sharing:)

Here's the Daredevil Comics #1.  I wrote this in my Comic Description within CGC:

Bought from Hoffman, Youngstown, New York 1/17/1981 for $350.   was the original owner, bought off-the-rack in 1941.  I purchased thru his Buyer's Guide advertisement at the age of 24.  Still have his original note thanking me for paying the comic off in-full as I had made payments.

I'll dig the note out when I get the chance and scan it into the thread.

IMG_3233.thumb.JPG.986eeea25ae9a6a9222c29beb33cd748.JPG

Edited by comicstock

This was not the first DD Comics #2 I owned..... 

It was at a NYC comic show and noticed the #2 at the top of a dealer display board.  The book had a severe, rolled spine and I wasn't sure I wanted it.  Condition wasn't as important to me back in the day (late 70s).   I was making my rounds in the final minutes of the show and decided to make an offer.  The tag price was $100.  I offered $80.  We quickly settled on $90 and I paid out the cash.  The whole deal took less then two minutes.  Probably a year later, I was telling my home comic shop, Quality Comics in Somerville, NJ about the spine roll.  Alex suggested he could press it out for me with an iron.  I brought over the book and he had it for a week.  We removed the staples and made it pretty decent.  Put the original staples back in.  Charged me five bucks.  I sent it into CGC over 10 years ago and it came back as a Qualified 4.5.  I upgraded to the below copy thru a ComicLink auction back in February 2014 and sold the Qualified getting a price I was happy with.

IMG_3235.thumb.JPG.1c63ee4a90c56be87c56b705106e1842.JPG

I've told this story before but I've been getting requests...no, really...!

I grew up in rural, western New Jersey in a little town of 900 people called Frenchtown.  The town was on the Pennsylvania border separated by the Delaware River.  Frenchtown had all the old-fashioned town stuff like an elementary school, two hotels, a couple of coffee shops, laundry mat, barber shop, a couple of gas stations, food stores & bars, a pharmacy, both general and hardware stores, a shoeshine guy who was next to a small newspaper stand, Christmas, Memorial Day & Hallowe'en parades and my favorite, Hummers Tobacco Shop.  Mr. & Mrs. Louis ran Hummers.  They were probably in their mid/late sixties and nice enough people.  I have no idea where the 'Hummers' name came from.  The store sold candies & sodas, all sorts of smokes, stationary, newspapers, paperbacks and magazines and of course, comic books. 

For some reason, in such a small, out-of-the way town, Hummers had a great selection of comic books.  It was like they were ahead of their time!  This was in 1965 and I hadn't turned 9 yet.  They had a standing wire rack with 36 pockets x 2 sides.  One side was DC, the other Marvel.  There were spinner racks:  one with Archies / Archie SuperHeroes, another with Dell/Gold Key TV/movie/etc, a third with Harveys / Richie Rich and finally one with Classic Illustrated.  Newsstand distribution came out of Trenton (50 mins. away) via Brauninger Distribution.  Brauninger came in a green truck every Tuesday and Friday afternoon dropping off all sorts of stuff.   The comics came bundled in wire, usually one or two stacks about 18-24 inches high.  In the early evening, Mr. Louis would be in the comic area with a desk he could work at while standing up.  He almost always wore a cap and brown-rimmed glasses while smoking a pipe.  He'd have one of the stack's bundling broken and would pull out a new title, count it carefully, mark the packing slip, write in marker on the back cover of the last copy the total number in this months newest Batman, let's say '8' as an example, search out the old Batman copies of the soon-to-be back issue for return, count those and write the amount down for a return.   He never said much.  Just puffed away on his pipe.  To do all the books probably took 30-45 minutes.

I was a DC reader, ignoring the Marvel titles until 1967-68.  Hey, these books cost me twelve cents apiece.  If I had a buck, I could buy 8 of 'em (no tax back then) and have four cents leftover for penny candies out of their big showcase near the register but I almost never had a buck.  It was a struggle to come up with 12 cents looking thru junk drawers and under cushions.  We didn't have any money back then.  Earliest issues I recall buying at Hummers were Action 328, Adventure 336, JLA 36, Batman 172, Detective 339, Atom 21, Flash 155, Green Lantern 40, Hawkman 9.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:27 PM, comicstock said:

5a63ebabe58fa_SilverStreak14.thumb.JPG.76371c9b16dcf0b074414a5d38502563.JPG

SILVER STREAK #14

This issue completes my run of Silver Streak #6-17 (all Daredevil issues) and Daredevil Comics #1-134 plus a Slugger #1.  All the Silver Streaks are slabbed as are the first 35 issues + 8 later issues of Daredevil Comics.

Fifty years to finally get it done!  The memories....

Lots of mail orders in the late 60s-80s.  Passaic Book Center, Donald Puff and many others.  Buying up copies at Creation Cons in Manhattan & Philadelphia plus Fred Greenberg & Bob Horn shows from NY, NJ, PA.

Thank goodness for the internet since the late nineties-current, keeping the hunt ever moving forward filling in many remaining holes.

My first DD key was the #1 from a nice gentleman named Richard Hoffman, who lived outside of Buffalo, NY.  He ran an ad (1981) in Comics Buyers Guide pricing it at $350 and was kind enough to let me make time payments.  I have his short letter somewhere around here thanking me for the purchase after I paid it off.  I called him about twenty years ago.  He told me pretty much everything he advertised 20 years earlier was sold but I told him I just wanted to thank him again for making the book available.  The book was submitted to CGC many years ago and received Blue Label 5.0.  I won the Silver Streak #6 (1st appearance) in a ComicLink auction 8-9 years ago.  A nice 7.5.  Bought the DD #11 classic bondage/torture cover at a Creation show in NYC for $100 around 1980.  CGC grade 7.0.  I traveled many times during the 70s-80s to all the comic shops in NJ, PA & NYC.  Scored some later issue buys at Quality Comics in Somerville, NJ & Comic Investments, Philly suburb.  Those were good times....

What next?  I'll continue to upgrade these books and of course, pay off comic book debt.  Thanks for reading!

Cool, cover I never really paid attention to when these WW II themes kicked in, but interesting how we have patriotic fighting of Nazi monsters months before Germany declared war on the U.S. (although I guess war in Europe had been raging for a while)