• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman 238 Mark Jewelers
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Can anyone confirm copies of ASM 238 with the Mark Jewelers insert having tattooz. Been wondering as I've seen a copy without the tattooz, but the book did not look like it was monkeyed with. (No sign it was there and removed). Though the cover was the same saying it had the tattooz inside. There is one sale CGC slabbed saying Mark Jewelers insert, but no mention of Tattooz missing so I'm assuming it is in there. I have heard rumors that there were copies made without the tattooz despite it saying so on the cover. Just not sure if these were regular copies or MJ insert copies. Any help would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, Philflound said:

Can anyone confirm copies of ASM 238 with the Mark Jewelers insert having tattooz. Been wondering as I've seen a copy without the tattooz, but the book did not look like it was monkeyed with. (No sign it was there and removed). Though the cover was the same saying it had the tattooz inside. There is one sale CGC slabbed saying Mark Jewelers insert, but no mention of Tattooz missing so I'm assuming it is in there. I have heard rumors that there were copies made without the tattooz despite it saying so on the cover. Just not sure if these were regular copies or MJ insert copies. Any help would be appreciated.

238 eluded me alas, one of the few Spidey MJI's I never owned:

238.thumb.PNG.e462e104128e93710fae13acd0741cd9.PNG

But I'm sure it does exist, and, unless it's a labelling error, CGC do too:

238mji.thumb.jpg.aaddb99ca4e15ec1ca84930a0efcc959.jpg

When I last looked, the only ASM's that did not have MJI's were these:

mjim.PNG.99360dfeaf8410ad655466306cb8ff24.PNG

You're making me nostalgic.....

So, I think I am going to open up a can or worms if I ask this question, and I know it has been brought up in other threads with no clear answer, so here goes. 

I just got my book graded 8.0, " Mark Jewelers Insert" , Tattooz Missing from Insert. 

I know that I checked this issue before I purchased it, it had the small label and Lakeside inserts both fully attached and inserted with no damage, pics attached, so I was a little confused. 

I found a FF 252 w/ tattoos to compare it to my book, which is why the pic of the insert has the square tattoo sample. 

Long story short, I cracked the slab because it was driving me crazy and sure enough when I shined a light through the Lakeside Insert there was no tattoo. I didn't shine a light through the insert when I bought it because I didn't know that I had too verify the tattoo was in there. If there is a lakeside insert with no damage, there should be a tattoo right.  

So,  do any of you know of any issues that could have had occurred with the manufacturing process which could have kept a tattoo from being inserted? Or has anyone encountered this before? 

I thought it might have been the old FF 252 Lakeside Tattoo Swap, but there is no damage to my book. 

Thanks for your input. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c27bfdb3a1ab7925876c1dbad844fa42.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3d3d0490dc701c1e7cd5dbcacc5e16be.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4036c31f8b5fb22702258c5b31cd715c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f699a2c27d8c57d850ccecb2c503ab9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6014e4f3de7d3bae8eed5a41580ee6c2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b073d0ca66e9163ac629a3f8efb19910.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.72db16a6579d67da53a8dea226d0a183.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.70bb2ebc4cf1cb599b6024a80a8f548a.jpeg

Edited by smc99

On 3/5/2018 at 10:27 PM, smc99 said:

So, I think I am going to open up a can or worms if I ask this question, and I know it has been brought up in other threads with no clear answer, so here goes. 

I just got my book graded 8.0, " Mark Jewelers Insert" , Tattooz Missing from Insert. 

I know that I checked this issue before I purchased it, it had the small label and Lakeside inserts both fully attached and inserted with no damage, pics attached, so I was a little confused. 

I found a FF 252 w/ tattoos to compare it to my book, which is why the pic of the insert has the square tattoo sample. 

Long story short, I cracked the slab because it was driving me crazy and sure enough when I shined a light through the Lakeside Insert there was no tattoo. I didn't shine a light through the insert when I bought it because I didn't know that I had too verify the tattoo was in there. If there is a lakeside insert with no damage, there should be a tattoo right.  

So,  do any of you know of any issues that could have had occurred with the manufacturing process which could have kept a tattoo from being inserted? Or has anyone encountered this before? 

I thought it might have been the old FF 252 Lakeside Tattoo Swap, but there is no damage to my book. 

Thanks for your input. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c27bfdb3a1ab7925876c1dbad844fa42.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3d3d0490dc701c1e7cd5dbcacc5e16be.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4036c31f8b5fb22702258c5b31cd715c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f699a2c27d8c57d850ccecb2c503ab9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6014e4f3de7d3bae8eed5a41580ee6c2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b073d0ca66e9163ac629a3f8efb19910.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.72db16a6579d67da53a8dea226d0a183.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.70bb2ebc4cf1cb599b6024a80a8f548a.jpeg

Curious

I have a green label stating missing from insert?!?!

On 5/10/2018 at 9:00 PM, CKinTO said:

I was just going to say that too, that I recall CGC gives green qualified label if tattooz are missing... but that maybe CGC giving you a blue label but noting that the tattooz were missing from the insert, was CGC's way of saying it was a "manufacturing error"? 

what if there are copies as such... for sure when the tattoo are out they pulled the insert... thats why theres a rip on most at the spine...

Resurrecting this thread ... can anyone confirm whether there are instances that the Tattooz insert was not included at all into copies of 238, because of a manufacturing error?  My original owner copy has no insert at all, and although it was a looong time ago, I would be shocked if, as a teen, I would have fiddled to take an insert out of a comic, especially one stapled in.  My copy shows zero evidence of tampering as the paper on the spine touching the upper staple shows no tears (other than the punctures created by the top staple itself).

Thank you.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:25 AM, zosocane said:

Resurrecting this thread ... can anyone confirm whether there are instances that the Tattooz insert was not included at all into copies of 238, because of a manufacturing error?  My original owner copy has no insert at all, and although it was a looong time ago, I would be shocked if, as a teen, I would have fiddled to take an insert out of a comic, especially one stapled in.  My copy shows zero evidence of tampering as the paper on the spine touching the upper staple shows no tears (other than the punctures created by the top staple itself).

Thank you.

I have a similar issue with mine... Signed in ballpoint by JR JR in 84.. no tampering to staples.. the Tattooz is not present.. high grade otherwise.. original owner

On 8/13/2018 at 8:25 AM, zosocane said:

Thank you.

Yes - Absolutely. It's silly that there is a stigma or enhanced value to either. It's one of a long list of things CGC should change.

On 9/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, littledoom said:

I have a similar issue with mine... Signed in ballpoint by JR JR in 84.. no tampering to staples.. the Tattooz is not present.. high grade otherwise.. original owner

Only solution is to 'harvest' a Tattooz from a reader copy of FF 252 (published same month as 238) and carefully insert it into the sleeve carrying the Tattooz within your copy of 238, without creating any spine stresses or tears.  That's if you want to submit the 238 to get it graded and avoid the dreaded green label.  That's what i did with mine.  Still have not gotten mine graded but at least the Tattooz is now inside the sleeve of my original owner 238.

On 8/13/2018 at 10:25 AM, zosocane said:

Resurrecting this thread ... can anyone confirm whether there are instances that the Tattooz insert was not included at all into copies of 238, because of a manufacturing error?

Any book that is supposed to have an insert can be missing it due to manufacturing error.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:39 PM, divad said:

Yes - Absolutely. It's silly that there is a stigma or enhanced value to either. It's one of a long list of things CGC should change.

The thing with ASM 238 is that the cover explicitly says the issue contains Tattooz. Most inserts aren't advertised like that.

Personally, I hate inserts, at least if they aren't full wraps.