• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping slabs

17 posts in this topic

Priority Mail has made me mad a couple of times, but I have decided that I still prefer it.

When sending books a long distance across the U.S., medium flat rate boxes are usually the cheapest.

I don't really like packing slabs in medium flat rate boxes though.

Slabs are about 13" long, and a medium flat rate box is 13.6" long. I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about being able to protect the ends of slabs in this box.

The 1095 Priority box, however, is 15.25" long - MUCH better for being able to protect the ends, IMO.

Currently, with a 1095 box, this how I prepare slabs:

1. Put slab in mylar type sleeve that folds over end of book, closed with velcro "buttons'"

2. Use a piece of packing tape on all 4 sides to secure slab to 10x14" cardboard.

3. Wrap slab with cardboard lengthwise about 4 times with bubble wrap and seal with tape.

4. Wrap slab with cardboard widthwise about two times and seal with tape.

5. Insert wrapped slab in 1095 box, then fill any loose spaces with folded bubble wrap (not a big fan of peanuts in a Priority Mail box).

6. After sealing box closed, I use extra tape on ends of box to make sure it doesn't "pop open."

I feel comfortable putting up to 4 slabs (each with cardboard) in a 1095 box.

Edited by icefires
typo

8 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Why? Just curious.

To fill open spaces, I want to cushion each side and end evenly. 

Rolling up bubble wrap "filler" evenly for both sides and ends is easier for me than peanuts.

And there's the static thing.....

Yeah, that static gets really frustrating. It's like they're determined to stick to ya. I've found that the ones made from plastic are better than the ones made from styrofoam, but still...

Edited by Gaard

I re-use Amazon boxes for slabs, mostly N3 and IB2 boxes.  The N3 allows for a little more packing material and I may use that for something worth over $100, the IB2 is fine with plenty of peanuts.  I usually pre-wrap the slab in a padded envelope taped snugly around it.  Then put it in the middle of peanuts (or crumpled packing paper as a second option).  Tape it all up and done.

I've never had any damage to slabs I ship this way.

2 hours ago, icefires said:

I don't really like packing slabs in medium flat rate boxes though.

Slabs are about 13" long, and a medium flat rate box is 13.6" long. I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about being able to protect the ends of slabs in this box.

The 1095 Priority box, however, is 15.25" long - MUCH better for being able to protect the ends, IMO.

This ! So true. There is not enough room to get the top and bottom of the slab protected in the flat rate box. I've had numerous situations where I received my book with a small crack in the slab. Charge me a couple bucks more for shipping and put it in a 1095 !

For anyone that hasn't already figured it out, flat rate boxes will cost you $7 more on average vs using a 1095 box (or any box you can find) and shipping based on weight.  Combine with the paypal shipping label discount.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Edited by 90sChild

27 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

For anyone that hasn't already figured it out, flat rate boxes will cost you $7 more on average vs using a 1095 box (or any box you can find) and shipping based on weight.  Combine with the paypal shipping label discount.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

There's really no way to average a cost differential. It's based on where you are and what zone you're shipping to. If you're in the middle of the country it's probably the most cost effective way. However, if you are on the east coast shipping to CA, it may be more cost effective to use flat rate. That's across the board for what you can fit in that size of box. Not specifically one slab which probably weighs about a pound.

I have received several slabs that are wrapped and put into a medium flat rate box and then that is put into a large flat rate box.  Seemed to work great.  I have learned a lot about shipping slabs from this site.  And, once the price gets over a certain amount (insert your amount), an extra $5 or $7 doesn't seem to matter in the long run as long as it gets there  safe and sound.  I have also received slabs in bubble envelopes, and in good condition, but that seems like a carp shoot.

18 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I have never had a situation where flat rate was cheaper than using your own box if you are shipping a few pounds of stuff.  If you get into 5+ pounds it would make sense.

Yes, that's around the make or break depending on where you are shipping. 4-5 lbs.

23 hours ago, ygogolak said:

1092 inside a 1095

Yup, this is the best way to do it. The boards introduced me to the idea many years ago, and I've never looked back!