• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WE LOVE Stan Lee thread!
3 3

203 posts in this topic

On January 23, 2018 at 2:08 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have 3 Stan Lee signatures and I am happy with all of them:

1. On my mint Marvel Value Stamp empty booklet

2%20Booklets_zpsfbictmcu.jpg

2. A Spiderman Drawing I did

MDS00156_zpsiwxj9fek.jpg

3. A Interior page of FF 112, which was the first comic I ever bought. It is at the bottom, it fits nicely at the bottom of the page which is cut off in the scan

MDS00157_zpsfpaurv8x.jpg

Wonderful choices. Your Spidey is fantastic, but that FF112 page is beastly! That is some great Hulk vs. Thing action. Very nice!!

On 1/25/2018 at 9:56 PM, SpideyFein said:

Well, as a fan of SS, and Marvel silver age specifically, I appreciate Stan sigs. That being said, window bag your book! As someone else had said, for years it has been tough for him to see clearly, and now be patient enough to write a neat sig (he has to work that sharpie about 1,000 more times after your book), and the fact that Stan will sign anything and doesn't know or care about the value of your "beloved" book or item.

I met Stan for the first time last year and had him sign my FF1. It's a 2.0, and I found the perfect spot. Unfortunately, my window bagging skills were flawed, and I should have left more room cut out for his sig. His facilitator told me to take it out of the bag, as he said he wouldn't be able to see the spot to stop clearly enough. I refused, as my blood was pumping, and was filled with too much joy, about to meet Stan. The sig I got is not the prettiest, and a bit smooshed, but it's just perfect now. Looking back, I was a bit heated, and then I thought about his smile, and shaking the hand of one of the legends. 

While standing on line, he got up, and made everyone wait to hug and make a fan's day. The fan had been battling cancer, and Stan was very genuine with her. It was nice to see. Yes, I am aware of his history, etc.

I got sidetracked, but want to say that I agree with many as well. I'm not a fan of him signing high grade mega keys, and love Stan SS on books he's worked on. There have been some ugly sigs posted. That AF 6.0 does make me want to puke..... BUT... Don't blame Stan. Blame the fan who got it signed. Maybe they were just star struck, looking at Stan's face, and didn't know where he was signing it. This to me is the only valid excuse. I don't what to say about it. It's tough to look at. It really is. I know it's someone's book, so forgive my comments. 

We all have to recognize that some love it, some dislike it. To each their own.

Wait. I thought physical contact was not permitted to any extend? He shook your hand and gave a hug.

You two were lucky. If only this were the norm.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage.

10 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Wait. I thought physical contact was not permitted to any extend? He shook your hand a gave a hug.

You two were lucky. If only this were the norm.

that is not what they wrote-- they said he did that (hug) for one girl who was battling cancer. Though the hand shake is more than I understand he usually will do and spideyfein seems to be saying he got to shake hands with Stan.

On 26/01/2018 at 10:56 AM, SpideyFein said:

Well, as a fan of SS, and Marvel silver age specifically, I appreciate Stan sigs. That being said, window bag your book! As someone else had said, for years it has been tough for him to see clearly, and now be patient enough to write a neat sig (he has to work that sharpie about 1,000 more times after your book), and the fact that Stan will sign anything and doesn't know or care about the value of your "beloved" book or item.

I met Stan for the first time last year and had him sign my FF1. It's a 2.0, and I found the perfect spot. Unfortunately, my window bagging skills were flawed, and I should have left more room cut out for his sig. His facilitator told me to take it out of the bag, as he said he wouldn't be able to see the spot to stop clearly enough. I refused, as my blood was pumping, and was filled with too much joy, about to meet Stan. The sig I got is not the prettiest, and a bit smooshed, but it's just perfect now. Looking back, I was a bit heated, and then I thought about his smile, and shaking the hand of one of the legends. 

While standing on line, he got up, and made everyone wait to hug and make a fan's day. The fan had been battling cancer, and Stan was very genuine with her. It was nice to see. Yes, I am aware of his history, etc.

I got sidetracked, but want to say that I agree with many as well. I'm not a fan of him signing high grade mega keys, and love Stan SS on books he's worked on. There have been some ugly sigs posted. That AF 6.0 does make me want to puke..... BUT... Don't blame Stan. Blame the fan who got it signed. Maybe they were just star struck, looking at Stan's face, and didn't know where he was signing it. This to me is the only valid excuse. I don't what to say about it. It's tough to look at. It really is. I know it's someone's book, so forgive my comments. 

We all have to recognize that some love it, some dislike it. To each their own.

Well said. (thumbsu

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

that is not what they wrote-- they said he did that (hug) for one girl who was battling cancer. Though the hand shake is more than I understand he usually will do and spideyfein seems to be saying he got to shake hands with Stan.

You are correct. He shook everyone's hand that I had seen though. I was surprised. He only had gotten up and hugged the one woman I had seen. I had so many chances to meet Stan, and I took the opportunity at the last NYC appearance to do so. I can't say as much for the whole Rhode Island cons, etc. 

17 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I forgot to add the “and” on my comment. I am aware that the hug was given to the girl.

Just pointing out that the physical contact was surprising considering I thought the rules were “no touching Stan Lee.”

Regardless, he and the girl were fortunate. Glad they were both able to.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

On 1/27/2018 at 2:58 PM, rogue14 said:

I forgot to add the “and” on my comment. I am aware that the hug was given to the girl.

Just pointing out that the physical contact was surprising considering I thought the rules were “no touching Stan Lee.”

Regardless, he and the girl were fortunate. Glad they were both able to.

No problem-- just wanted to clarify. I am also surprised that he was making physical contact as I thought that was disallowed either by his handlers (robably because it took valuable signing time away) or by Lee for health/grumpy old man reasons.

I appreciate what Stan Lee did for comics but I don't hold him in some amazing shining light of importance. Others do and good for them that they get to meet someone that important to them. I will probably always hold a grudge about how Marvel (and in his own way Stan Lee) treated Jack Kirby and other artists who I admire for their talents. When I was a kid, I bought into the whole marketing of Lee as being this larger than life person who took almost all the credit for those books I loved. Clearly he deserved a big chunk of the credit but then I learned the back story of how things really went down and his Marvel magic became less of a mystery.

14 hours ago, Aliens said:

WHY in the world would any stupid insufficiently_thoughtful_person do this!!!!

some insufficiently_thoughtful_person had Tom Holland (who plays spiderman in spiderman homecoming) sign an amazing fantasty 15! JUST WHY! I may be overreacting a bit but who in their right mind would let him do this! The stan siganture is fine but why Tom Holland he has no5ing to do with this book, hey why not let Dan Slott sign this book too while your at it, I mean he wrote spiderman right! And Tom Holland’s played spiderman so, I guess it’s fine, right... GOD! A truly ruined holy grail I would not want to even see that book in my collection ever! I would not pay even more than $1000 for that piec of trash because besically that what this ruined book is now, I am not the greatest fan ofimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b getting stan to sign holy grails like this in the first place but seriously!

394B5D34-AD0D-43D8-B27A-70F1C87835E7.png

I would have got the guy who did craft service on "Spiderman: Homecoming" to sign it. That or the transportation coordinator.

Edited by NoMan

Stan's last appearance in Alberta Canada a few years ago all attendees who wanted his signature were told to NOT put windows in bags for signature placement. If any fan brought a book with windowed placement they were told to take it out. To my knowledge no one got a signature if their comic was bagged.