• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WE LOVE Stan Lee thread!
3 3

203 posts in this topic

Hey guys so i just wanted to start out by saying I don't HATE Stan lee signature and I'd be a hypocrite to say I don't like th because I have met him myself and had a few books signed by him in the past and have been happy with the results but seriously guys understand he's 95 and has admitted his eye sight is not the best throw in the fact that people throw thousands of books at him a day does not help and with that being said I will say I don't think it's stan's fault and actually the people who expect him to do so much at his age fault. Anyways let me get to my point, I love going on eBay and just checking out books signed by him seeing some (most) that I can't stand to see and a few which I find look nice with his signature on them.

i have gathered some of the worst stan sigs starting from bad to generally heart stopping and not ina good way. Now with all this being said let me start, 

1. I'm going to start out with some light ones, these are not bad but why would anyone want these books to be signed in these colors! They don't look good, not to mention that I would never have stan sign a hulk 181but oh wellimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

IMG_0375.thumb.PNG.85e65aa389c763888d85713afda661c3.PNGIMG_0374.thumb.PNG.820cbc878cb21d43ae3d8469e313a4bb.PNG

2. Next are once again not horrible but these made me cringe because these people were expecting to get $10,000 for the TOS 39 with no certification at all not even stan's certificate, 

IMG_0368.thumb.PNG.a23af1e3734e8ab03051c08f709b001a.PNGIMG_0371.thumb.PNG.8d4c42a8c37d4fb5a4ae1b92b71bc2c2.PNG

3. Now it's starts getting bad, stan is infamous for signing on comic cover charchters faces and these are just bad... but wait until the final one... 

1. It's a bad picture but... what can be seen talks for itself ?

IMG_0372.thumb.PNG.ba0fd864e5bf490fce389ca18cad0ddd.PNG

2. Luckily this is on a reprint but it's not pleasant either also once again I've never been a fan of getting stan to sign a book like this where he did not write edit or do anything about it 

IMG_0373.thumb.PNG.2052ebe4ead3f48c14570fecd18c42e1.PNG

3. The next three will slowly get worse... this one is luckily a reprint but still... at least not on the face though

IMG_0379.thumb.PNG.7308158aa20339f588d1af9f8ebd975b.PNG

4. Yikes!!! On the face!! A reprint though so not Horrible

IMG_0378.thumb.PNG.379d89a556bbdeea20b89154eaf66501.PNG

5. ?????? these emojis talk for themselves on my feelings for his monstrosity... ps if you couldn't tell this is NOT a reprint and it's is an ASM 1 9.4

IMG_0365.thumb.PNG.7bbc4c61e6fbe4b91227b3a28030ce0e.PNG

6. I don't get this...

IMG_0369.thumb.PNG.9c3c914d47c8eab93a892bf7c5dfb222.PNG

And the final two are puke worthy so get out your puke bags out...

7. Wow... just wow... (this is in a bad way)

IMG_0367.thumb.PNG.c5d2540fe9766d585ff455c627ba67d2.PNG

8. Here it goes this book gets the crown of being the very worse stan lee signature to ever face the planet... I can't imagine the guys face when he saw his book be grabbed by Stan and fatally killed... 

IMG_0204.thumb.PNG.d2a866c1e579bcc1fb706d5a9ab5879e.PNG

and thats it it for some of the worse stan sigs ever. In conclusion stop getting him to ruin books it's not worth it at this point maybe 10 years ago it would of beeen but today no... i persanly prefer him signing on the first page  show us any that you guys find I would love to see more 

anyways let's just bring out the fact that not every book he signs comes out bad and some actually look nice for example these two hopefully these  calm your nerves a little... 

IMG_0380.thumb.PNG.9acc7c5d0f246ce70fee25be4ebc0368.PNGIMG_0377.thumb.PNG.58f1e8b0e0d7362b675d10838628f312.PNG

Sorry for the ft 5 on the list again it does not let me delete it... just ignore it

IMG_0375.PNG

Edited by Aliens

I'll just be the dissenting voice....

There are LOTS of creators with crappy looking signatures. Unreadable signatures.  Lots of writers, most celebrities but some artists too.  Stan Lee at least has a good excuse. He's really, really old.  The rest? IDK

if you want a pretty signature, get Steranko to sign. Otherwise - at the end of the day - IF IT SAYS "SIGNED BY STAN LEE" ON A CGC LABEL THAT IS ALL ANYONE IS GOING TO CARE ABOUT. 

At this point, I think he has signed more books than demand will ever call for.  The blue chip books will always gather interest.  Comics he had no hand in, or characters he didn't create, I will never understand those. 

I have gone to 3 Cons where he was signing.  All 3 times, I had him sign something other than comics (an Asgard Press poster, and 2 small prints).   

I think that sig over Spideys face in the AF15 is worse than the ASM1...zero chance I'd buy it unless discounted from market, and I love sigs! 

OP - I do agree with you.  I personally only buy books already signed so I know the sig -script and placement are what I would want.  There is just no way I'm rolling the dice and hoping he signs it properly on a raw book. 

I have had nothing but good experiences with the placements of his signature. I don’t even prep them, I just let him sign it where he wants. I guess I have been lucky.

9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

You can't stop something you never started in the first place.

These types of threads are starting to become ebay-like in frequency  - which I find a little annoying as it shows me the OP didn't bother to search a little bit to see that the thread already exists.

That, and most of the examples shown aren’t even in the top 25% of the worst Stan signatures. 

Creator signatures are great but I've never understood the need for them to be on the front cover in effect defacing it.  They're a major distraction and not in a good way.  

There's plenty of room around the page 1 splash for people to sign.

I want Stan Lee to sign a piece of Spider-Man original art.  I don't have him sign on Spidey's body or face, I have him sign outside the art area.  Why should a comic be any different?

Decades from now people are going to be lamenting all of these books ruined by front cover signatures.

15 hours ago, bababooey said:

That restored FF 53 is awesome, perfect sig placement....love it! 

:luhv:

Agreed. The rest are very unfortunate, and I object to SS in general, but that one looks spot on to me.