• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WE LOVE Stan Lee thread!
3 3

203 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

Sing it:

Spider Roach.......Spider Roach

Stan needs some help from a drawing coach

Makes a blob on your book

Value goes down take a look

Hey there....that's the famous Spider-Roach

With the infamy that book has achieved it would probably command a premium...

Edited by mysterio

I have 3 Stan Lee signatures and I am happy with all of them:

1. On my mint Marvel Value Stamp empty booklet

2%20Booklets_zpsfbictmcu.jpg

2. A Spiderman Drawing I did

MDS00156_zpsiwxj9fek.jpg

3. A Interior page of FF 112, which was the first comic I ever bought. It is at the bottom, it fits nicely at the bottom of the page which is cut off in the scan

MDS00157_zpsfpaurv8x.jpg

20 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Ouch. 

This thread could've helped someone: 

I think I read somewhere-- possibly in the window bag thread itself-- that Stan Lee's handlers do not allow people to use window bags - or at least for some time did not allow them.

Which is ridiculous for starters but so is paying 100 bucks to deface a book imo.

If it makes you happy-- go for it. Personally, I don't see the need.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I think I read somewhere-- possibly in the window bag thread itself-- that Stan Lee's handlers do not allow people to use window bags - or at least for some time did not allow them.

Which is ridiculous for starters but so is paying 100 bucks to deface a book imo.

If it makes you happy-- go for it. Personally, I don't see the need.

Really? You'd think that window bags were designed specifically for Stan Lee. Having him sign an important book today without one would amount to a suicide mission!

13 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Sing it:

Nah man, since it's from 2008 when he could still see it was Stan's way of FU-ing the community of sketch & signature profiteers

14 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Sing it:

22 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Stan must've been really pissed off the day this happened! >:(

imageproxy.jpeg

Now I see, know and understand which book was being referenced as the “spider-roach”...:|

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Nah man, since it's from 2008 when he could still see it was Stan's way of FU-ing the community of sketch & signature profiteers

This is not accurate based on what I recall reading in other older threads in these forums. The person asked Stan to add a little sketch to the book he was getting signed--- and that was his attempt at drawing a spider. They had already paid for the signature series etc so off it went to CGC for encapsulation. Now it is infamous.

While I can't say Stan did it as a stand against sketch sigs-- he didn't do anything like it again to my knowledge. One instance is not a stand. It is an anomoly

I know i'll be in the vast minority here but I would be thrilled to own any copy of AF15 or any of the books in this thread. I don't care where he signed it, end of the day you have a signed book by stan lee.

I'll never be lucky or rich enough to own an AF15, im shocked these books are being spoken so poorly of. I would give an arm or leg for one.

I'm sure many would like to own any copy of some of these books.

no one is saying the books suck--- they don't like the sigs or sig placement or are stating they would not want to buy something that has that sig.

This is a way of stating that many find sigs detract from the value of a book. So what they would be willing to pay for that book is the issue. All of these books are available for sale and with the AF 15-- VERY expensive. If you don't like the way a book looks, I doubt you would spend many thousands of dollars to buy one.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:03 PM, TheRealVenom said:

I know i'll be in the vast minority here but I would be thrilled to own any copy of AF15 or any of the books in this thread. I don't care where he signed it, end of the day you have a signed book by stan lee.

I'll never be lucky or rich enough to own an AF15, im shocked these books are being spoken so poorly of. I would give an arm or leg for one.

Good point. That’s why it’s a always a good idea to invest in reprints and get those signed. At least that’s what I’ve done. It’s worked so far and I’m happy with the results. 

Well, as a fan of SS, and Marvel silver age specifically, I appreciate Stan sigs. That being said, window bag your book! As someone else had said, for years it has been tough for him to see clearly, and now be patient enough to write a neat sig (he has to work that sharpie about 1,000 more times after your book), and the fact that Stan will sign anything and doesn't know or care about the value of your "beloved" book or item.

I met Stan for the first time last year and had him sign my FF1. It's a 2.0, and I found the perfect spot. Unfortunately, my window bagging skills were flawed, and I should have left more room cut out for his sig. His facilitator told me to take it out of the bag, as he said he wouldn't be able to see the spot to stop clearly enough. I refused, as my blood was pumping, and was filled with too much joy, about to meet Stan. The sig I got is not the prettiest, and a bit smooshed, but it's just perfect now. Looking back, I was a bit heated, and then I thought about his smile, and shaking the hand of one of the legends. 

While standing on line, he got up, and made everyone wait to hug and make a fan's day. The fan had been battling cancer, and Stan was very genuine with her. It was nice to see. Yes, I am aware of his history, etc.

I got sidetracked, but want to say that I agree with many as well. I'm not a fan of him signing high grade mega keys, and love Stan SS on books he's worked on. There have been some ugly sigs posted. That AF 6.0 does make me want to puke..... BUT... Don't blame Stan. Blame the fan who got it signed. Maybe they were just star struck, looking at Stan's face, and didn't know where he was signing it. This to me is the only valid excuse. I don't what to say about it. It's tough to look at. It really is. I know it's someone's book, so forgive my comments. 

We all have to recognize that some love it, some dislike it. To each their own.

Edited by SpideyFein