• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post xmen 94 keys ??
1 1

58 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sirwesker said:

143 would be the best place to stop if you're not going beyond 150, because that's John Byrne's last issue and is really great. John Byrne did the art and much of the plotting from 108-143. 

101 is a huge first appearance - Phoenix. 

141 has many first appearances in it as the first part of Days of Future Past - Rachel Summers, Destiny, Pyro, Avalanche

All of the Shiar and X-Men space characters make their first appearances in the early 100's. 

117 is the first appearance of the Shadow King

109 is the first appearance of Guardian

120 and 121 are the first Alpha Flight appearances

129 is the first Emma Frost and Kitty Pryde. All the Hellfire appearances start there and go through the 130's with Dark Phoenix. 

102 is the origin of Storm. 

The list goes on and on. From 94 to 143 is an incredible period of time in X-Men. Almost every issue has something. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’m slowly putting this run together. Have about 15 or so more issues to complete run. Maybe less now that I’m bailing at 143.  

Cant wait to read it. Never read those classic xmen, believe it or not. 

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’m slowly putting this run together. Have about 15 or so more issues to complete run. Maybe less now that I’m bailing at 143.  

Cant wait to read it. Never read those classic xmen, believe it or not. 

I've started doing the same! I've got reader copies from 101-200 and finally decided to pound through as much as I can. Started with 101 last night, but looking forward to hitting the Claremont/Byrne issues as that run was already hallowed material when I started reading X-Men in the late 80's (when most people agree it "jumped the shark" is when I started!). 

On 25/01/2018 at 8:51 AM, sirwesker said:

143 would be the best place to stop if you're not going beyond 150, because that's John Byrne's last issue and is really great. John Byrne did the art and much of the plotting from 108-143. 

141 has many first appearances in it as the first part of Days of Future Past - Rachel Summers, Destiny, Pyro, Avalanche

All of the Shiar and X-Men space characters make their first appearances in the early 100's. 

129 is the first Emma Frost and Kitty Pryde. All the Hellfire appearances start there and go through the 130's with Dark Phoenix. 

The list goes on and on. From 94 to 143 is an incredible period of time in X-Men. Almost every issue has something. 

Indeed. Other examples include:

#118 - 119 - Return of Sunfire

#123  - Spider - Man

#130  - Dazzler

It really is best to collect and read the entire run as for most of this period the X-Men are on an extended, continuous adventure.

Unfortunately the quality suffers from the very first non-Byrne issue (#144).

1 hour ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I’ve started doing the same - initially started with Claremont run - But has expanded to full Series - haven’t gone back before 89 yet - so I’ll save those for last ... good luck 

#67 - 93 are all reprints so you don't need to worry.

However, if you try for #49 - 66 you may enjoy stories of a darker nature (the Savage Land story links to the story in the Byrne run).

This run features the first appearances of Polaris, Havok and Sunfire with some excellent Steranko art.

5 hours ago, World Devourer said:

#67 - 93 are all reprints so you don't need to worry.

However, if you try for #49 - 66 you may enjoy stories of a darker nature (the Savage Land story links to the story in the Byrne run).

This run features the first appearances of Polaris, Havok and Sunfire with some excellent Steranko art.

Didn’t Neal Adams do a few ? I always found it odd how Uncanny X-men was stuck in limbo for a few years with reprints before CC stepped in - unfortunately I still need to grab 130,131 , and 97 which are heating up pretty substantially now ...:whatthe:

2 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Didn’t Neal Adams do a few ? I always found it odd how Uncanny X-men was stuck in limbo for a few years with reprints before CC stepped in - unfortunately I still need to grab 130,131 , and 97 which are heating up pretty substantially now ...:whatthe:

Yes, NA came in right at the end. He did some great work with Roy Thomas. Unfortunately the rot had already set in and the title was relegated to reprints until #94.

22 hours ago, Dr Zen said:

This may be a stretch but #139. Kitty Pryde joins the X-men, it's the first appearance of Heather Hudson and it's the first brown costume for Wolverine.

Yup, 139 has the first "Welcome to the X-Men, Hope You Survive the Experience" cover. 

On 1/24/2018 at 9:51 PM, sirwesker said:

You are forgetting the most important one of the lot... 130 First Dazzler!!!!!!:baiting:

49 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Is post-Byrne pretty much a wasteland for this title? I'm more familiar with Mutant Massacre and forward (210 up through mid-90's when I hit X-title overload). Wondering if 144-200 are worth looking into.

There is some good stuff in there. The New Mutants begins in that time period and has some good crossover I believe. Rogue debuts in 158 and joins the X-men in those issues. Wolverine's adventure to Japan is in the 170's with Rogue. Lots of stuff with Emma Frost's academy and the first appearance of the Hellions (Warpath, Firestar). Madelyne Prior debuts in those issues so there is some good storytelling with her and Scott. There are some Brood and Shi'ar storylines if I'm not mistaken also. It's definitely not as good as the Byrne stuff, but I wouldn't dismiss it. I'd actually say its quite a bit better than the post Mutant Massacre stuff. 

Once X-factor starts, and once Claremont leaves New Mutants, that's when the whole franchise goes down hill dramatically, and doesn't really rebound until Lobdell, Nicieza and David take over. 

Edited by sirwesker

1 minute ago, maraxusofkeld said:

Just off the top of my head

148 is the 1st Caliban

168 1st Madelyne Pryor

169 1st Morlocks

184 1st Forge

That's right, the whole Morlock storyline with Storm and all of Forge's earlier appearances are in there as well, including that Barry Windsor Smith story.