• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post xmen 94 keys ??
1 1

58 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, awe4one said:

I think #230 or so though to #285 should be desirable.  Lots of copies sold but one of the best runs the X-Men had.

Jim

Yeah, that's what I thought, but a few years ago there was a "when did X-Men jump the shark?" thread and lots of people were saying right around that time. I actually really liked the Genosha storyline in particular and I thought the whole Mutant Registration Act was a pretty clever plot line.

Thanks for the input on post-Byrne, encouraging to hear that there's more good reading throughout the run (thumbsu

I think after 300 was the turning point for the book. The next good X-men run, in mind, was the Grant Morrison New X-men run, which was better than Uncanny during that time. He introduced many new characters, Fantomex, Quinton Quire, Dust, Beak, Xorn, and put Magneto back to a bad . 

59 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

I think after 300 was the turning point for the book. The next good X-men run, in mind, was the Grant Morrison New X-men run, which was better than Uncanny during that time. He introduced many new characters, Fantomex, Quinton Quire, Dust, Beak, Xorn, and put Magneto back to a bad . 

Everything up to and including Age of Apocalypse is worth reading in my opinion. After 1995 is when it really started to fall apart though, until Morrison came along. Even after that though X-Men had a difficult time finding its stride until Mike Carey started writing. Right around when Messiah Complex started did X-Men hit some of its best times since Byrne in my opinion. 

Most books after 101 (the end of the initial monster keys) are either keys themselves or pricey fillers in mid to high grade. Just get them all up to around 150 and you'll be covered, duh. :D

edit: Somehow I missed this thread was three pages long so my answer is clearly irrelevant and duplicative. 

Edited by speedcake

On 08/02/2018 at 9:29 AM, awe4one said:

I think #230 or so though to #285 should be desirable.  Lots of copies sold but one of the best runs the X-Men had.

Jim

Ahhh...I was waiting to see if someone was paying attention and thought to mention this. I'd include 200 - 230 as well. It reads like chapters of one continuous saga.

Between GS #1 / #94 - 143 &  200 - 285 thete's enough material for at least 8 seasons of a Netflix series.

having read 94-300. I can say that IMHO that 94-175 is a good solid run of art and story.  It does start to taper after #167, the conclusion of the first Brood storyline, but you have the heart of the Paul Smith run in there to keep it afloat.  You suffer diminishing returns thereafter, with the exception of a few Jim Lee books in the 268-275 range.  Issues 180-220 are particularly bad, and should be shredded and thrown away on sight.  #145-150 are among the very best issues IMO, Cockrum at his best and a great story.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

Agree with getting X-Men 150, major character development for Magneto.

Another arc I really liked (178-183?) was a battle with the Brotherhood where Colossus is critically injured, and Kitty agrees to marry Caliban so that the Morlock healer will save him.  Caliban lets her go, and Colossus dumps her shortly after, pining for the alien healer he met in Secret Wars.  Wolverine plans to get him drunk and beat him up for it, but picks a fight with Juggernaut and lets him beat up Petey instead.

I would think the major ones after #94 are:

101 - 1st Phoenix

109 - 1st Guardian

120/121 - 1st Alpha Flight

129 - 1st Kitty Pride + Frost + hellfire

134 - 1st Dark Phoneix

141/142 - Days of Future Past and lot of firsts in #141 + iconic story

Could maybe throw in #95, 100, 130 and 137 as "semi-keys"

I personally think #129 is massively underrated and that the cover to #143 is amazing!

Edited by Chillax23

While I agree the Claremont/Bryne run is the best, everything up to and including AoA is pretty decent. I dropped around 350 if I recall. Since coming to comics back I've read Morrsion's run and that is really good. Other later X runs I've like are:  Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, David's X-Factor, Cable/Deadpool. I've also heard that Spurrier's X-Force is good too.